T. Rowe Price

T. Rowe Price Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy

James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Career opportunities in Colorado Springs were limited to call center management (in 14 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Practice what you preach

Manager (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsTraining, campus, pay for licensing, 401k

ConsPay is extremely low. Associates basically need to live with their parents and managers need a second job to support their families. It is sad. It wouldn't be so bad but you were not expected to work way beyond 40 hours and of course every holiday and weekends. That way you could get another job. Expect your children will be the first in daycare and last picked up and count on paying late fees for keeping them there after close.

Promotions in some areas only happen within certain groups- basically if you don't go to happy hours you don't have a chance. Talent management is not valued or rewarded. It is about who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at your senior leaders. Pay people so they can live comfortably. It's not Colorado or Tampa- our salaries are hard to survive on in Md. Promote those who have a proven record of developing others, not those you go to happy hour with and hang out with after work.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to build interpersonal skills and networks. People are fun and nice.

ConsGopher work at most. The department was not prepared nor were they organized with their internship program. Very dull work really.

Lowered Expectations

Brokerage Representative (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsThe people you'll work with at T.Rowe Price are for the most part the best people you'll meet at any job you'll ever have. Enough Said. You will be able to get your licenses and they let you study while you're at work now. This has changed since when I started. Back in the day, you studied at home.The company will go above and beyond NOT to lay folks off. Even in 2008, when layoffs were done, they were done more as a reduction in force = they let go the low performers. We're talking less than one out of 10 people.

ConsIf you're in Tampa, believe me when I say - Baltimore/Owings Mills forgets you exist - until it's really windy or there is an inch of snow. You will then be forced to do mandatory overtime. Thanks for cooperating and here is a box of SnoCaps for your troubles. Seriously, they gave us SnoCaps (candy). This would be funny if it didn't happen EVERY year. You'll have to help out the Colorado office too when it snows. That's right...when it snows. It's odd that snow in Colorado would close down an office isn't it? Surely they've seen snow before. The best open secret is when they close down the office - that site isn't charged a vacation day. This is a highly kept secret that management acts like doesn't exist when talking to the Tampa office.

The other great problem of being in the Tampa office has to do with opportunities. You've got a chance to basically be promoted two or three times before you'll top out. There's no where else to go....unless you want to go to Baltimore. Most folks in Tampa aren't interested in going to Baltimore for obvious reasons. So, T. Rowe Price then has their good employees who aren't just "collecting a paycheck" leave to other opportunities in the Tampa Bay area. This is an epidemic that is getting worse and worse day by day.

Diversity and Inclusion is brought up all the time. That is all well and good, but to be inclusive or diverse just to check off a box or pat ourselves on the back is INSANE. Hire THE BEST people for the job not because of their skin color or their chromosomes or their sexual preference or their religion or etc... This has been mentioned in other reviews as well and there's been a big push towards these hiring practices. These practices have become more apparent since the company hasn't required a college education to be hired. I'm pretty sure this is done so they don't hire a high flyer who get their licenses and the just leaves the company, but they have someone who's content in having a job and won't leave.

Also, having Brokerage reps do Tradelink 401k calls is comical. They're doing that no in addition to taking orders for the following: Non-TRP Mutual Funds, Precious Metals, Options (Spreads & Straddles), Treasuries, Corporates, Munis, UITs, Agencies, Equities, ETFs, Reorgs, Splits, Mergers, Tax Research, etc... Brokerage has kept getting more put on it's plate as other departments dump things on us. It's very frustrating as a Brokerage rep to have someone in PSG who is paid at a higher pay when they've shown they can't or don't want to do our job - even though 64% of PSG clients have BROKERAGE accounts!

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing more with less since 2008. This has become worse and worse the longer I've been with it. I know every company has done this since 2008, but it just seems quite extreme. I'm doing more work with more responsibilities and not being paid more or more importantly appreciated. Please, please, please, let people have a work/life balance. That's hard to do with people on the phones, but it is possible - I know other companies do it. Also, don't be so reactive and be more proactive. We're always buying umbrellas AFTER it rains it seems. Hire some more people please! One more thing...please train people in a timely manner. It makes ZERO sense to give someone a pay increase before they can actually facilitate the role. After you get the pay increase, what's the incentive in being trained for your new role and passing all those FINRA exams If you change this - you'll see the go-getters rise to the top.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not very Diverse

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsStable company with great benefits

ConsThe culture is not very diverse

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversity Training - Make It A Priority

Management talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk

Manager (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsOwings Mills campus is pretty but in a dull area. Benefits are good but not the best.

ConsNew executive team wants you to "challenge the status quo," and "take risks" but the minute you do you're an outsider. To succeed, you need to keep your head down and follow orders. Managers who sit in their office and only manage people are rewarded, managers that contribute are viewed as too tactical. "You're too tactical, you need to be more strategic." Strategic = meet all day, talk and accomplish nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team (GR 47+) should be more visible and do skip level meetings. I left my manager, not T. Rowe Price.

Nice people, no opportunities for career development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood salary and benefits, nice people, nice office facilities (the sort of thing you take for granted until you go to work somewhere with much older computers etc).

ConsNo career development opportunities - people who 'play the game' and spend more of their time brown-nosing than actually working or managing get promoted, while other internal candidates who have worked at the company for years are put through massive hoops (20 plus interviews for an internal promotion) and then passed over. NB - I am not referring to myself. Also, the organisational structure and the way my department operated meant there were no opportunities for career development and in fact the job wasn't even how it was advertised when I applied for it so I ended up working here for a couple of years and very quickly finding I was disappointed and stagnating. But for people who are in the right sort of teams with the opportunity for career advancement - or you have the sort of personality that means you will get ahead regardless - it is a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at organisational structures and career development opportunities or you will continue losing staff

Campus College style work environment, monotonous tasks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

Proshighly invested in your retirement but fully vested after 5 years of service, cafeteria atmosphere is fun and friendly like in college, young workforce

Consmonotonous tasks, micromanaged, company shifts around employees every 6-8 months as "promotions" to keep you from boredom, low pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a personality, most of you are as dry as chalk, and stop acting so afraid. This must stem down from their management.

I worked at T. Rowe Price

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits. Good opportunities available.

ConsMany managers not great at developing staff. Easy to get stagnant in a role. Difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter internal communications and development/growth plans for associates

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsIt's like family. Most people are helpful.

ConsCompensation could be higher than it is.

Conservative, healthy company with the need to promote leaders not project mgrs

Associate, Individual Contributor (Current Employee)

ProsExecutives and leadership crave innovative thinkers and are focused on the right directives ....serving clients while remaining operationally nimble and efficient.

ConsOutside of call centers, mid level people-managers are long timers, promoted for successful project delivery. Unfortunately, they do not have the experience to lead organizational change, translating objectives into actionable goals for their teams. As a result, new ideas are discouraged and teams do not adapt. For associates that have held management roles outside of the company, it is disheartening and may be "years" before your voice is heard or you are promoted in order to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR and high level executives: Look deep within your organizations and consider leaders based on current and past internal & external TRP experience rather than relationships and successful project delivery. Hold mid PLs and VPs accountable for aligning team charter with real tactical measures of success. Soft measures of being T Rowe Nice and "this is how we have always done it" is a corporate culture not a goal. Foster inclusion of new ideas at all levels, that align to the "goals", and through this you will unleash passionate innovative ideas that deliver results.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!