T. Rowe Price

T. Rowe Price Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy

James A. C. Kennedy

Pros:
  • "Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Great benefits and comfortable work environment"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "headset policy is cumbersome, even for a call center)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent Company. Great Values.

Retirement Plan Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 10 years

ProsT Rowe really recognizes employee contributions, both in recognition, advancement and pay.

ConsSometimes managers can play favorites, but i'm sure that occurs everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I really enjoyed the way you kept associates in the loop on future company goals and plans,

My experience was good for a couple of years and bad the last six months of employment.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has excellent benefits for the employees which include healthcare, company match 401k plan, stock options and vacation. The pay scale is above average.

ConsMost of the promotions are within a click of people groups and not based on your experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote qualified people and not friends.

Work life balance was promoted

CPS (Current Employee)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, company match, profit sharing, professional work environment

ConsExcessive overtime, expect to work most holidays, lack of support from upper management, no clear direction, work life balance not important or supported, supervisors not important- focus on associates and not leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely with high turnover, why are people leaving. Why are leaders no longer inspired? Why don't they want to follow? Is it the organization's leader? Change is important and needed. We need someone who cares about their people and can inspire us!!

You get what you pay for!

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

ProsGreat 401k, downtown office is nice, learned a lot about office politics and the types of people to avoid in my career.

ConsPoor, detached, unengaged and ignorant leadership. Most managers remind me of children that are playing "Office," just like children would play "House" or "Doctor." I believe the low low salaries attract weak and insecure talent. Beware of competitive leaders who will back stab you for a few hundred more dollars in their already tiny bonuses. This reminds me of hungry dogs fighting over a single bone. The desperation and uncertainty of income and advancement adds to the low employee morale. The skills that are taught are non-transferable. They are only relevant to specific tasks. If you are young you will be expected to perform basic Excel tasks for upper management because they are not trained on modern technology. Oh, by the way, they still use Excel for everything! It's 2013! If you are smart and talented - stay away - this company does not know how to foster your growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and promote, smart educated people. And pay them a competitive salary! Base that salary on the skills they are bringing to the organization and not the cost of living adjustment you gave them the year before.

It is somewhere to get started in your financial career, but move on ASAP.

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey pay for you to get licensed, and they offer benefits.

ConsI have worked for the company going on 3 years now, and I have seen many things deteriorate on a quickening pace. First, when I started, TRP was known to have good benefits packages. They have gotten MUCH worse. The entire call center is consistently understaffed, under paid, and over worked. OT is required almost every week, and they will switch your schedule on a moments notice. Over the years, the job opportunities to move up in the company have diminished to almost nothing. Management has consistently increased workloads on employees, without offering proper compensation for the increase. And finally, the management does NOT take employees concerns and opinions into serious consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They bring in multi millions of dollars into the company for you, and happy employees equal increased sales. If you try something, and it doesnt seem to work, dont continue down the bad path!

Conservative, but Stable

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a great company to work for. Great benefits and a trustworthy staff.

ConsMovement through the company will SHARPLY differ depending on what site you work at. The opportunities in Baltimore vastly outnumber that which is available in Tampa and Colorado.

Good atmosphere and nice people in the Tampa office.

Intern (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood hours, great location, perks for working there.

ConsThe way they rate you on the errors aren't very fitting for what you actually do.

Solid company, good people

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity to work with many bright and talented individuals

ConsAlot of collaboration sometimes slows down the abilty to get things done

Great place to work & learn

I have been working at T. Rowe Price

ProsGreat collegiate environment to start off and gain working experience. Friendly staff and Organization in general.

ConsHR can be slow in terms of employment promotions. Acknowledgement of success from upper Management is slim to none.

Moving on

Supervisor (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I have been working at T. Rowe Price full-time for more than 5 years

Pros401k Match and Investment Choices
Gain a better understanding of the financial industry.
Time off

ConsSalary is horrible and does not keep pace. For instance if you are starting as a Supervisor you will receive around $51k and a Supervisor that has been in the role for lets say 4-5 years will make $53k. To make things worse a few associates with overtime may make as much or more than you. Year after year we are told that it is being reviewed, but it always remains the same. A lot of great talent is lost to other companies once a ceiling is met.

The management tends to focus on the low performing associates more than the associates that are meeting or exceeding expectations.

At one point (6 years ago) T. Rowe Price only hired people with a college degree, now it hires anyone that has some sort of customer service and can answer a behavioral question on the interview right.

If an associate discusses something with HR it is quickly spread to the management team. I have told multiple associates to not discuss certain things with HR as it may harm them with how they are perceived by the management team.

The current health care package is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your current Management structure as you have people in a leadership role that only know how to gossip behind closed doors and bring personal problems to work.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at T. Rowe Price reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for T. Rowe Price CEO James A. C. Kennedy. All 249 reviews are posted anonymously by T. Rowe Price employees.