T. Rowe Price

T. Rowe Price Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

T. Rowe Price President, CEO, and Director James A. C. Kennedy

James A. C. Kennedy

Pros
  • Very people friendly company, with good work/life balance(in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits and comfortable work environment(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • headset policy is cumbersome, even for a call center)(in 14 reviews)

• Impact to ability to have appropriate work life balance(in 6 reviews)

Good place to start a career and learn the business. Too much focus on race

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsI started here out of college and have worked both in Owings Mills and in Baltimore. It is a great place to work, especially if you are starting out. Even though it is a big company it really feels like a family and the culture is great.

ConsThere is a lot of focus on race and ethnicity at this company and it has gotten worse over the last few years. There are efforts to boost the number of minorities with management even admitting that they are willing to go into bidding wars with their competitors for minority job applicants. While I'm sure it is well intentioned, If you are a minority in this company you feel like you are just there because of your skin color. Unfortunately other employees begin to become suspicious that you only got the job because of your skin and otherwise aren't capable. This focus on race is racist and needs to stop. Aside from this it is a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the focus on race and ethnicity. We should be hiring people based on how well they will do the job, not to fill a quota. At the end of the day what matters is whether or not the person has good ideas. As MLK famously said, "Judge a man by his character and not by the color of his skin."

Good company, good atmoshpere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining is done well, A lot of focus on employee development, Good benefits overall.

ConsSlow moving, and pay is below competitors.

Retirement Plan COordinator

Retirement Plan Coordinator (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsNice clients and good team mates. Lots of resources online to help you with the job and systems are user friendly.sometimes there are fun events for the employees.

Consit is understaffed and turnover is high. this has caused lots of unhappy clients who hate workign with new people. the pay is too low considering the level of responsibility/

Advice to Senior Managementplease pay more and hire more people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very enriching and friendly environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsMentorship is very important to T. Rowe Price. I was immediately welcomed and treated as a member of the existing team, rather than an outsider or new employee. Everyone is very understanding, forgiving, and welcoming.

ConsI don't really have any cons. I was not as fond of my supervisor as I would have liked, but technically I can't say anything wrong about the individual or the company.

Summer internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the coworkers I worked with were friendly and helpful. There is a good attitude among staff. Company made it clear that it was a good place to start a career.

ConsFood in the cafeteria isn't the best. Lower pay than most other firms for similar positions.

good place to start

Prostraining, resume builder, generous 401k plan, generous paid parental leave for birth of child

Conslimited growth, small bonuses, favortism is very apparent, job is not stable

Pure Hell but take the job for a few years if you need it

Retail Account Management (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO (US)

ProsFair benefits, bonus until they try to get someone to quit which means people who did their jobs find all of a sudden don't.

ConsCareer track for a few. Your supervisors will be young and inexperienced in life, your job and will do anything to cover their backs to stay in management track including having members of their team take the heat. You will constantly have to ask for permissions for same things over and over again which irritates some supervisors who don't bother reading the manual. If you are not good at networking or brown-nosing this is not the job for life for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where it is due with raises and not with just the "card" system for ideas you make money off of. Listen more and in meetings don't put down average investors if you mean World Class service.

Nice people, but not very effective

ProsGood reputation as an investment management company.

ConsMost employees have been there a very long time and do not have experience outside the company. While that can be good to maintain "culture", it can also be stagnating and cliquish. Outside thoughts and experience are not always well-received or appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the legacy employees who got to where they are because of the length of time they have been employed, not their performance. Those who think it is all about being "nice" are just allowing under-performers to keep their jobs and are not meeting the company's objectives.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Decent Company Overall but a few downfalls

Retirement Plan Coordinator (Current Employee) Owings Mills, MD (US)

ProsGreat 401k, ESOP, fun events, You learn a lot about conducting business in the corporate world.

ConsVery high stress levels and high levels of accountability with low pay, LOTS of favoritism, Lots of cliques, No real advancement opportunities just lateral moves between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate career ladders and do what it takes to assist the employees in growing and climbing their ladder. Stop promoting based on favorite pics or cliques and promote based on work performance alone.

It is a great company to start a career straight out of College

Investment Counselor (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA (US)

ProsJob stability and great health, 401k, ESOP, profit sharing benefits. It is definitely a team work environment.

ConsLocations for promotion are limited. Bonus potential is limited as well. The adoption of innovative technology is slow

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be profitable to focus on sales skills versus coaching and micro-managing.

Worked for T. Rowe Price? Contribute to the Community!