Synapse Product Development

Synapse Product Development CEO and Co-Founder Ross Collins
Ross Collins

Engineer

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time

Pros

Great management and mentoring, exciting projects, fun and engaging colleagues, wide breadth of engineering topics to learn and apply. Overall a great company to work for.

Cons

Some up and down hiring and layoff cycles, but new management team seems to be much better. Upward mobility is a little difficult- there isn't much hierarchy to the company and also not much turnover.

Don't repeat the mistakes of the past- you're doing all the right things now.

Talented engineers and motivating environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open work environment encourages creativity and teamwork. I enjoy everyone I work with and learn something new every day. Something fun is always happening at Synapse.

Cons

Growth outside of engineering is limited.

Keep up the good work!

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This place really supports its people, helps them to grow their careers, and listens to them. I recently told my boss I had outgrown my current role and explained what I'd like to change. My boss and HR are now both working with me to look at options and make a timeline for changes.

Last year, a group of employees requested that the company create a parental leave policy, beyond the federal policy. The leadership listened and responded by enacting a policy that gives primary caregivers 3 months of fully paid leave and secondary caregivers (often dads) 4 weeks of fully paid leave. This is a much more generous policy than my friends at other firms have! Synapse in general is quite family-friendly.

The summer 2014 posters who complained about lack of vision should've waited a month- we are now taking part in a company-wide effort to define strategic goals. Unlike the usual top-down decree, the leadership team here is using an inclusive process that draws on feedback from all employees.

It is really exciting to work at a place where each of us are empowered to develop our careers and improve the whole company.

Cons

Some previous posts listed cons that were related to instability as we adjusted to sea changes from 2 of our biggest clients. Synapse is now well on it's way to recovery, has a more grounded leadership team, has developed a more diverse portfolio of clients, and is taking action to prevent making the same mistakes again. I'm glad, because it's a great place to work.

I have a lot of confidence in the current leadership team and their inclusive approach.

Synapse is the best Job I've ever had

Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Design & Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fun environment combined with interesting projects and a culture that inspires creativity, makes Synapse a truly special place to work.

I work beside some of the smartest people I've ever met, and it's not hard to find similar interests and extend friendships beyond the office.

There's a widespread mentality in the office that you must take risk in order to be truly innovative. This encourages people to step beyond conventional wisdom, get creative, and try new things. Synapse is the type of place that will force you to grow; one way or another.

Cons

Balancing resources has always seemed to be something the company struggles with, however the leadership has put emphasis on fixing this in the last year, and it seams to be improving.

Dynamic atmosphere, great colleagues

Pros

Interesting work from some of the biggest brands/most exciting names in technology.
    Everyone genuinely loves coming to work each day, which is so rare and contributes to the high, infectious energy.
    The environment and culture facilitates open communication, across departments and levels of the organization.
    Work with smart people that you want to grab a beer with after work.
    Spontaneous nerf gun wars.

Cons

The past year has been a year of transition, upper management has changed hands, and many people were put into leadership positions without proper training.
    Historically, a lack of diversity -- though this is actively changing.

Synapse Rocks!

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In every aspect of company life Synapse tries harder than any other company I have worked for. As consultants they are in a better position to build a culture of free thinking and expression. You definitely have to work hard but like nowhere I have worked before this place really seems to care for all the right reasons. There are fun things to do there, interesting projects, very good, technical, successful people (engineers, project managers and execs)

Cons

It's a consultancy so your customers are many times either not technically savvy and you have to spend a fair amount of time generating status and explaining designs, results and information. Or the customer thinks they are very savvy whether they are or not and try to drive technical outcomes that don't result in the best designs.

Continue to do the great job your doing. Continue to make the hard choices to keep the business healthy. Thanks for trying so hard. Sometimes the hard part is learning to say no to customers.

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Constantly tackling exciting and new challenges. Working on fun new technologies that push the limits of size and capabilities. However, the best thing about working for Synapse is the culture of the company. It feels more like a family than a work environment. The fun events and activities bring a good balance to the work environment. I couldn't recommend Synapse any higher.

Cons

There are smalls cons that pop up every once in a while, however none of them are even worth mentioning because I would be nit-picking. I love working at Synapse and would recommend it to anyone asking.

Continue to listen to the employees and keep the transparency of the business. So much of the struggles in the past were much more difficult to get through when upper management was not transparent with us. I believe it is back now, let's keep it going.

Visionless leadership team

I have been working at Synapse Product Development (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Easy to work with..

Cons

Leadership lacks vision, no long term plans.

Replace current leadership team with more business minded executives who have proven track record of driving growth and strategic planning. Current leadership team does not have strong business and marketing skill sets... Very short sighted.

Hard to see where this is going, but it's an interesting ride.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are outstandingly diverse, interesting, driven and highly competent. You can learn something new every day from each person who works here. Each project has its own interesting aspects that keep you on your toes and learning. The work / life balance is excellent and the benefits are top notch.

Cons

Management is pretty much a weak soup. It's hard to know who's controlling what, what the company's long-term vision is, or how we're planning on getting there together. Upper echelons are clique-y and aloof and Synapse is not particularly transparent in its operations. Compensation is reasonable, but not first-rate, but the work-load isn't onerous.

Create a company vision, a business plan, and share it with your staff. Good things will happen.

Talented people that deliver outstanding work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity of projects
    Talented and committed employees

Cons

Workload is sporadic and causes lots of churn in resources

Teach everyone how thw company adds value to it's customers rather than adding engineering capacity

Synapse Product Development Photos