Symplicity Corporation

Updated 8 December, 2014
3.7

Bill Gerety

UX Designer/Developer

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Multiple projects
    Different new technologies
    helpful coworkers and relaxing atmosphere

Cons

Low efficiency of project process

Let employees focus on one project instead of multi-task
    improve the efficiency of management

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Somewhat flexible hours
    - Awesome management who genuinely wants you to be successful
    - Actually felt like a part of the company and not just another cog in the machine
    - Able to work from home
    - Able to work remotely after a year or two of employment
    - Great location, just a 5 minute walk to get to DC, metro accessible
    - They are trying really hard to make it a great fun place to work
    - Literally no one on the sales team is your typical "salesy scumbag", everyone is super wonderful
    - Free snacks in the kitchen

Cons

I only left the company because I was moving, and I personally don't have a deep passion for software sales, but Symplicity makes working so enjoyable that I didn't mind that I wasn't exactly working in my dream career field.

Just got a new CEO in May, but haven't had any negative interactions with him. In fact, received a raise after the new CEO started, so he gets two thumbs up from me. Sales Manager is also super knowledgeable and incredibly helpful. My only advice would be to have more company events, but I think they're working on that, so truly no complaints!

There's no connection with your manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff overall, all hardworking and genuinely nice people. Teammates couldn't have been nicer and enjoyable to work with. Interesting projects and technologies in use. The company is doing a great thing for higher education.

Cons

Management really is disconnected from what's going on with the teammembers. A year after I started he asked if I knew how to do MSEs because he was not clued in to what we were doing. Now laid me off saying I wasn't checking in with him enough. Everyone else is reeling because I was really helpful with my teammates and everyone else at symp. I responded to tickets efficiently and correctly. I loved doing that and seeing the impact I had on people in the company. Management didn't see that and laid me off based on their own concerns rather than based on actual contributions. I even mentioned this and my boss said that we could focus on the positives all day but things still couldn't go on. Huh? He was completely inflexible and left many people high and dry by laying me off due to his own agenda. It is extremely disappointing to me and everyone else. As if that isn't enough, HR gives laid off people a double wammy by telling coworkers they can't give personal recommendations. Not sure this is legal! Symplicity really let me down and I definitely don't feel like I was "a part of the family" so to speak.

Management really needs to be connected with their own team rather than being in their own world. Try seeing what your teammates are working on, contributing to and doing beyond the high level task lists. Everyone in the team gets emails about the tickets we work on, so this really isn't that hard to do if you try. There's too much of a communication silo between the team and management.

Its a good place to work at

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you can learn a lot here when you dont have a lot of experience

Cons

youre on your own a lot of times and hours are long

Very Collaborative Place to Work.

Current Employee - Client Relationship Lead
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Lead

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team mentality. Everyone wants you to succeed!
    Ability to work remotely. This really gives you the ability to live your life in a more balanced way. You can throw in a load of laundry or start a pot roast without disrupting your day.
    Constant improvement of the products that you work with.
    Fun people, who have senses of humor.
    The managers that I work with are thoughtful caring people. They are also very reasonable.

Cons

Benefits : The benefits aren't that great when you are coming from higher education. Family health insurance is very expensive, the retirement is probably in line with normal businesses, but is not close to higher education. It is especially difficult to envision planning a parental leave after having that covered so well at an institution of higher education.

I knew about the benefits going in, and I didn't let it stop me. I am grateful!

Mobile Developer

Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Mobile Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Flexible environment
    2. Awesome Product manager, u ll feel like working in the mobile team is always so inspiring.
    3. A lot exciting project to be done, you will never get boring
    4. Team are so friendly, always willing to help and learn from each other
    5. Young and energetic company.
    6. Remote work
    7. Manager like to encourage to express your own idea

Cons

1. Vacation days is less than the other company
    2. Work time to 6 p.m. which means it will be late for any after time activity.
    3. Health insurance is not cheap.
    4. You need pay parking for yourself.

Great Job for the Short Term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Laid-back environment
    *Get to play with a variety of technology
    *Young employee culture (generally)
    *Traditional benefits

Cons

*Subpar pay
    *CEO micromanages and makes knee-jerk decisions/reactions
    *Mid-level management (what exists of it) sucks at managing
    *Dead-end job. Don't expect promotions; expect the same job title/pay for years to come
    *HR is a joke; they can't even crank out the monthly newsletter

*Listen to your employees; they have their ear to the ground and their suggestions can benefit all
    *Improve the structure/competency of mid-level management
    *Reduce the turnover rate - it's embarrassing and a burden on the company (time/energy/money)

Disorganized / Chaotic Company

Former Employee - Client Support in Remote, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Client Support in Remote, OR (US)

I worked at Symplicity Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Remote working. This is the best part about the company, and a great perk.

*Pretty good products. The products could be better, and there are too many. More focus on core higher ed producs and better design would greatly improve client satisfaction. Overall , the software has some great things that provides a good service to higher ed.

*Nice people. The staff is pretty cool and for the most part easy to work with.

Cons

*Chaotic management and company organization. If you like being pulled into multiple projects with no clear direction, terrible task management applications, and too many people involved, this is the place for you. The systems, including the phone system, and the in-house databases are bad. The products can be clunky, slow, and hard to use.

*Mediocre pay. The pay is ok, but not great. Most people I knew there feel the pay was too low. I agree, but it wasn't that bad. Good if you are just starting out or have a spouse / partner that makes pretty good money. Considering the Corporate HQ is in Arlington, VA, the in-office staff must feel underpaid.

*Mediocre benefits. Vacation and Work-Life balance are seriously lacking. The job can be never ending, and it seems you are expected to be somewhat "on call" at all times. There really is no financial motivation to put in more work. You do it just to not get behind, but the extra work does not translate to more pay or comp-hours.

*Training. Yes, there are webinars, but everyone is so busy with so many different things, who really pays attention? Even if you do pay attention, you don't get much out of it.

*Quantity outweighs quality. You are better off giving clients generic answers that don't really help so long as you meet your quotas. Take the time to really help people and it's like you aren't doing your job because your numbers are low. It's backwards. Management will tell you it's about quality, but it's not. It's all about quantity at Symplicity.

*The design of the products are dated. There are plenty of designers, but they always seem busy on other stuff that no one knows about. All the while, the main core products do not get the attention they need. Clients constantly give feedback about how old it looks and how complex it is. They used to joke around that the company name should be "Complexity".

*Micro-Management . The CEO still involves himself in everything, creating an environment of confusion and mistrust. Things get decided on long email chains or IMs. Key people are often left out of the loop, but expected to know exactly what to do and how things should function. Additionally, everyone is involved in too many things leaving too much opportunity for mistakes. When mistakes are made, be prepared for direct IMs from the CEO. Management in many ways sets employees up to fail, then blames the employees for that failure.

*HR is not very effective. Most staff have no idea what they do, other than provide in-office employees with "symp snacks". Occasionally they'll send a staff email of some new procedure, but most people just ignore or delete the messages. They even asked us to come here to write good reviews because the company was getting a few bad reviews. That should tell you all you need to know about this place.

*Trust employees. Let them manage, stop micro-managing and creating a toxic work environment. If people do 10 great things and 1 bad thing, all you will hear about is the one bad thing.

*Communication is a complete mess. You may get 20 to 100 emails daily, plus multiple instant messages. Everyone is like this and as a result, no one really knows what they are doing.

*Additionally, processes change and most employees are completely in the dark, then expected to know how to perform. This makes employees question what is really going on, and why and who made the decisions that more often than not, do not make any sense.

*The in-house system they refer to as "Izer" is dated, slow, and insanely complex. The CEO needs to buy real project management software or invest in a quality development team to modernize it.

The employees are very helpful, kind, knowledgeable and driven by a desire to continually improve.

Current Employee - Product Support/Client Relations Specialist in Remote, OR (US)

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for personal growth as well as professional development, caring, committed staff, team orientation and innovation.

Cons

I work remotely, and can feel a bit isolated at times.

Good Company

I have been working at Symplicity Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Training is good.
    - Few projects keeps you engrossed in work
    - Can work from home

Cons

- Low salary
    - Less number of holidays

Symplicity Corporation Photos