Symantec Reviews

3.3
1,672 Reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown
Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies (in 192 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this (in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF (in 64 reviews)

More Highlights

good overall

Former Employee - Associate SQA Engineer  in  Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Associate SQA Engineer in Markham, ON

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

good company, friendly people, lots of projects going. Very reliable at QA as there are lots of projects going most of the times. nice office in Markham office.

Cons

not enough courses offered that are paid. not much raise given. Poor communications means between separate teams and that leads to unproductivity.
    few popular people who are always popular and take over from the management team.

add more courses to train staff and give time to them to learn.

Trying to be everything to everyone

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary, company culture, benefits, co-workers

Cons

leadership is totally blind to what is happening on the street. Micromanagers to a degree where is is a burden to employees and reasons to leave company all together. No continuous focus, one day is one strategy, then the next management changes their mind.
    CEO has changed so many times, hard to keep up.

Favorite company worked for

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Stable company with great products. Great benefits and training options. Teamwork and contributions are encouraged. I don't think one could go wrong working here.

Cons

Like any company, it's all in the people you work with. Typical employee issues you'd find anywhere.

Offer a higher roof for advancement opportunities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a job, not a career

Current Employee - A Job  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - A Job in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, when we aren't letting them go
    Brand reputation
    Benefits are good
    Good attempts being made to work across the regions and try and bring visibility and consistency globally

Cons

Lack of consistency and accountability across orgs
    Personal growth is limited, career path removed and now it's just a job
    Compensation is less than desirable
    Promotion? I forget what that means!
    If you're not in HQ you miss a lot of what's going on

Offer challenging work
    Recognize expertise
    Reconsider bonus scheme - it's not just higher grades that provide value, and take risks - we do heavy lifting
    Value employees, and receive commitment in return
    Do a better job with change management and communicating to employees... we've become more top down lately and it's not ideal
    Stop asking the question "if you had an identical offer elsewhere would you leave" - why leave for the exact same? It's a ridiculous way to try and compare.

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked for Symantec for 6 years and extremely happy. I have learned many Cloud technologies and believe it is an excellent service to support.

- Great work environment
    - Very Good work culture an opportunity to learn many of the Symantec product services
    - Terrific Leadership, investing in people
    - Great Compensation

Cons

There are many changes for the past 2 years and senior management/directors seems to be struggling on what holds the future. I feel like it is a bit sluggish and does not know in which direction to take.

N/A

Parallels the Titanic

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Symantec as a company has strong ethical values, especially when viewing it from a sales perspective. There are one too many companies with sales cultures out there that instill deception, and simply focus on the bottom line. This along with formerly relevant and market leading products is what kept me as an employee for so long.

Cons

What once was a company with big aspirations to build an integrated platform to protect data allowing people and organizations to work and play freely in a connected world, has become a company struggling to remain relevant in todays technology age.

The corporate-ship has hit an iceberg, and the Board of Directors threw the old captain overboard and mutinied against their former Chairman. In midst of all the confusion, a new era of middle-management has taken over bolstering their inability to lead with meaningless process, pointing fingers and shaking heads insinuating legacy employees are the problem. They have fostered a poisonous culture of distrust, throwing overboard those that threaten to reveal their ineptness instead replacing them with automatons who will sink to the bottom with them.

The hole is taking in water now, management is frantically finger pointing, building more process and rhetoric, rather than cutting through all the red-tape, taking decisive action, brining clarity and focus to the field, and making sales happen. Meanwhile the ship is sinking...

To middle-management: Stop worrying about your TPS reports, and actually learn about the products and solutions that Symantec sells before attempting to tell your staff how to sell! Your teams do NOT respect you because you have no clue about the products we sell, how to compete, how to be relevant in our customers eyes, and how to empower your sales teams.

What do you think would happen if you brought so much change on at once? Did you really think that this change -- shuffling accounts, eliminating your brightest employees for speaking up, having renewal sales be run by kids just out of school, bring in a bunch of middle-management that have no clue about the business, and set unrealistic quotas -- would have been successful?

I think you would have had a better sales year if you all just locked yourselves in your offices and played solitaire or Angry Birds all day long.

To Executive Management: start by choosing a corporate focus, determining which business lines do not coincide with said focus, divest non-focus-coinciding assets, wipe out all sales middle management, reinvigorate and make products relevant again with the times, and make it fun to sell Symantec products and solutions and not have to deal with ridiculous support issues.

Not a great company to work for long-term...

Former Employee - Security Infrastructure Administrator  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Security Infrastructure Administrator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Lots of technical learning opportunities for personal development

Cons

- Senior technical staff is dismissive and not willing to collaborate and solve problems together
    - Middle management is typically inexperienced (at best) and disingenuous (at worst)
    - Poor compensation

- Try to recognize the "real" innovators and team contributors

Good vision but slow execution

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Symantec full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very broad offerings - end to end in information management and security

Cons

Lack of innovative breakthrough. Also integration is various products not yet there

Poorly managed with a side of non-existent work/life balance.

Former Employee - Linux Security Administrator  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Linux Security Administrator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You are getting a big name on your resume which = better future job prospects ELSEWHERE.

- Also Got to work with some talented individuals within the group.

Cons

- Hobbled cloud service that is barely holding together with spit and glue.

- No challenge as you are spending most your time trying to keep the infrastructure from falling over.

- Micromanagement up the ying yangs.

- If you want people looking over your shoulder and having you do things that do not even approach your job description this is your place.

- Incompetent Directors always farming out their tasks to others, never taking ownership or responsibility, lacking vision.

- Development team leaves much to be desired, Tier 2 and Engineers would be fixing their mistakes most of the time.

- Forget work/life balance, no such thing.

- Everyone doing their best to jump ship which is sad to see.

- NO investment in employee growth or training.

.... This was the only job in my years in IT that was truly a waste of time.

They have gone a step in the right direction by getting rid of some Upper management so time will tell although I am not holding my breath. Management needs to learn to do their job, no amount of training is going to give them the real world experience they require. My recommendation is move on to a better company, start at an entry level "managerial" type job like Team Lead to gain the experienced needed.

Just ok.....

Former Employee - Linux Infrastructure Administrator  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Linux Infrastructure Administrator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Symantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good peers
    Lot of talent
    Lot of learning

Cons

Below average salary
    Below average benefits
    Management
    No growth

Well they already got rid of a lot of middle management to cut the red tape, which is a great idea. But the managers that are still present still need to be trained in their jobs and decision making process.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!