Symantec

Updated Jul 18, 2014

3.2 1,569 reviews

Symantec Interim CEO Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Pros
  • Work life balance makes this company stand high in all IT product companies(in 191 reviews)

• Great work environment - Facilities to employees at good(in 105 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work life balance, although they will say they value this(in 35 reviews)

• Need internal sales talk to senior management to keep or find new position at RIF(in 63 reviews)

1,569 Employee Reviews

Senior Technical Support Engineer

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsI have worked for Symantec for 6 years and extremely happy. I have learned many Cloud technologies and believe it is an excellent service to support.

- Great work environment
    - Very Good work culture an opportunity to learn many of the Symantec product services
    - Terrific Leadership, investing in people
    - Great Compensation

ConsThere are many changes for the past 2 years and senior management/directors seems to be struggling on what holds the future. I feel like it is a bit sluggish and does not know in which direction to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Parallels the Titanic

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsSymantec as a company has strong ethical values, especially when viewing it from a sales perspective. There are one too many companies with sales cultures out there that instill deception, and simply focus on the bottom line. This along with formerly relevant and market leading products is what kept me as an employee for so long.

ConsWhat once was a company with big aspirations to build an integrated platform to protect data allowing people and organizations to work and play freely in a connected world, has become a company struggling to remain relevant in todays technology age.

The corporate-ship has hit an iceberg, and the Board of Directors threw the old captain overboard and mutinied against their former Chairman. In midst of all the confusion, a new era of middle-management has taken over bolstering their inability to lead with meaningless process, pointing fingers and shaking heads insinuating legacy employees are the problem. They have fostered a poisonous culture of distrust, throwing overboard those that threaten to reveal their ineptness instead replacing them with automatons who will sink to the bottom with them.

The hole is taking in water now, management is frantically finger pointing, building more process and rhetoric, rather than cutting through all the red-tape, taking decisive action, brining clarity and focus to the field, and making sales happen. Meanwhile the ship is sinking...

Advice to Senior ManagementTo middle-management: Stop worrying about your TPS reports, and actually learn about the products and solutions that Symantec sells before attempting to tell your staff how to sell! Your teams do NOT respect you because you have no clue about the products we sell, how to compete, how to be relevant in our customers eyes, and how to empower your sales teams.

What do you think would happen if you brought so much change on at once? Did you really think that this change -- shuffling accounts, eliminating your brightest employees for speaking up, having renewal sales be run by kids just out of school, bring in a bunch of middle-management that have no clue about the business, and set unrealistic quotas -- would have been successful?

I think you would have had a better sales year if you all just locked yourselves in your offices and played solitaire or Angry Birds all day long.

To Executive Management: start by choosing a corporate focus, determining which business lines do not coincide with said focus, divest non-focus-coinciding assets, wipe out all sales middle management, reinvigorate and make products relevant again with the times, and make it fun to sell Symantec products and solutions and not have to deal with ridiculous support issues.

Not a great company to work for long-term...

Security Infrastructure Administrator (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- Lots of technical learning opportunities for personal development

Cons- Senior technical staff is dismissive and not willing to collaborate and solve problems together
    - Middle management is typically inexperienced (at best) and disingenuous (at worst)
    - Poor compensation

Advice to Senior Management- Try to recognize the "real" innovators and team contributors

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good vision but slow execution

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsVery broad offerings - end to end in information management and security

ConsLack of innovative breakthrough. Also integration is various products not yet there

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poorly managed with a side of non-existent work/life balance.

Linux Security Administrator (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros- You are getting a big name on your resume which = better future job prospects ELSEWHERE.

- Also Got to work with some talented individuals within the group.

Cons- Hobbled cloud service that is barely holding together with spit and glue.

- No challenge as you are spending most your time trying to keep the infrastructure from falling over.

- Micromanagement up the ying yangs.

- If you want people looking over your shoulder and having you do things that do not even approach your job description this is your place.

- Incompetent Directors always farming out their tasks to others, never taking ownership or responsibility, lacking vision.

- Development team leaves much to be desired, Tier 2 and Engineers would be fixing their mistakes most of the time.

- Forget work/life balance, no such thing.

- Everyone doing their best to jump ship which is sad to see.

- NO investment in employee growth or training.

.... This was the only job in my years in IT that was truly a waste of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have gone a step in the right direction by getting rid of some Upper management so time will tell although I am not holding my breath. Management needs to learn to do their job, no amount of training is going to give them the real world experience they require. My recommendation is move on to a better company, start at an entry level "managerial" type job like Team Lead to gain the experienced needed.

Just ok.....

ConsBelow average salary
    Below average benefits
    Management
    No growth

Advice to Senior ManagementWell they already got rid of a lot of middle management to cut the red tape, which is a great idea. But the managers that are still present still need to be trained in their jobs and decision making process.

Great products, management needs a lot of improvement

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros-Symantec's products are market leaders in their fields (data protection, security, storage management)
    -Strong global brand, looks good on a resume
    -The products are solid, mature and well known (ex. NetBackup) and are generally superior to the competition.
    -Symantec's overall product portfolio is very unique in the industry and Symantec is a major player, this makes for interesting conversations with customers all the way up to the C-level
    -There are some very good/smart people here, you can make some good friends at Symantec
    -Product management does a good job overall of making the products better for customers, and they're fairly good at providing SE's with the tools needed to be more effective in the field (at least for the Major products like NetBackup and SEP).
    -Good compensation overall, no complaints here. Competitive with the market.
    -Lots of good information is available internally and good learning material is in place and easily accessible
    -Excellent flexibility, ability to work anywhere as long as you get the job done
    -New executive management; a change at that level was needed
    -Renewed focus on product quality vs. being first to market

Cons-The recent change at the executive level has resulted in a state of considerable uncertainty
    -Very unclear strategy around many core products
    -The values that the new executive team has outlined (ex. transparency, open door policy) are the very things they don't practice
    -Incompetent and unnecessary middle management that was supposed to be eliminated as part of the new corporate structure is still in place
    -it seems like most of the recent layoffs this year were actually individual contributors and not managers even though this is contrary to the new CEO's stated plan of action
    -Deceptive middle management who add no value at all, but won't hesitate to throw you under the bus to save their own reputation
    -Middle management makes decisions without any real care or understanding of what's best for the team. The result is that individual contributors, ie. the people who do the real work that brings in business, are now angry/frustrated/confused and are starting to leave the company
    -The new sales structure is much less effective in the field
    -The SE team is often put in the position of being the glue to hold everything together even when that is not a realistic expectation
    -Quarterly focus vs. bigger picture thinking
    -Channel partner involvement is very disappointing, especially for a major technology vendor (this may vary depending on the region)
    -Competitors are gaining market share at Symantec's expense
    -Recent delays with significant product releases are giving competitors an opening and it's causing a lot of FUD in the market
    -Rumors that the company is being positioned for a sale or a break up are starting to heat up

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a tough one. I believe that some change was needed but the execution over the past year has been outright terrible. This year's sales and marketing conference really bad and has resulted in declining confidence in the new vision. This is largely the fault of middle management. Executive management needs to ensure that the new vision is being followed and that it's properly executed. Hearing the CEO say one thing only to have middle management do their own thing will not bode well for the company overall (near or long term) and one visible result is that many good people are leaving. This is a trend that can be reversed but it's up to the executive team to ensure that middle management understands and more importantly properly executes the new strategy. Right now, this does not seem to be happening.

Large scale low latency cloud services.

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLike the people I worked with.

ConsJob wasn't challenging. Products from product management didn't seem well thought out.

Great place to work

IT Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI feel lucky that my management allows me lots of freedom to work on projects of my choosing. They encourage initiative and foster a sense of trust. I do appreciate that the entire company does not provide the same flexibility to all employees, but in our group we try to maintain an environment where everyone is given a certain amount of leeway to work on other things, as long as the core job is done.

ConsThe management was pretty scattered when trying to come up with priorities, but it looks like this is changing - hopefully for the better.

A generally positive experience working with talented individuals to deliver quality web security products.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Flexibility in working on projects which are of interest to you
    -Open learning environment
    -Good efforts by senior management to promote disclosure of problems and ideas for improvement

Cons-Lack of updated documentation
    -Roles were at times ill-defined in the matrix organizational format which existed within my department
    -Product knowledge was often in developer's heads and not documented
    -Many simultaneous projects with unclear prioritizations had to be juggled

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!