Sunrise Senior Living

Updated 21 August, 2014

3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

EXECUTIVE LEVEL

Pros

It is all about our seniors.

Cons

Regional Support THEY TREAT THEIR TEAM LIKE WORK HORSES!

EXPECTATIONS OUT OF LINE WITH EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS.

good

Pros

residents, some staff, some coordinators
    some staff
    coordinator team
    benefits

Cons

head office
    over worked
    under appreciated
    no budgets
    alway cutting positions

listen tonyour teams

It is a good stepping stone.

Current Employee - Lead Dining Care Manager  in  Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Lead Dining Care Manager in Mississauga, ON

Pros

The residents are truly the reason the employees of Sunrise go to work; we enjoy giving and providing a comfortable home for these respectable elders of ours. The general care managers and staff truly work together to help one another and this can be reflected in the care they provide; the best.

Cons

- The higher positioned staff or so called Coordinators have a definite lack of care or acknowledgement of the work being done by their employees. Those who have worked there for years are not given proper incentive to be giving the care they do.
    - Wages are a huge con
    - Such strict policies and budgets in the dining area cause problems with ordering and sufficient food supplies.

Turnover rates at my current home have drastically increased, indicating there has been some negative changes. I have noticed a huge different in the way things have been done in the past year and see residents unhappy with these changes. Maybe truly ensuring your coordinators, not just ED's, are performing to the best of their abilities should be mandate for your company.... because I truly see they are not performing as headquarters would hope.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exton, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA (US)

Pros

Residents are great, generally a fun, home-like environment that can be very warm and inviting.

Cons

Management is very cliquey. They preach communication, but fall short themselves. Favoritism is apparent.

Praise your good workers instead of just barely punishing the bad ones. People who work really hard rarely get noticed, just taken advantage of, yet the ones who barely try, seem to be praised any time they do a little bit more than their jobs call for. Coordinators get doted on non stop with gifts and bonuses, but the ones doing all the grunt work get nothing. Try to make all your staff, especially the front line, feel valued.

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Care partner assisting the elderly in anything/everything where they are unable to do for themselves.

Current Employee - Care Partner  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Care Partner in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Air conditioned, food given sometimes for job well done, we can conduct activities with residents, we are sitting down/standing up throughout shift, the decor inside is home like and pleasant, always sweet smelling odors in the air, I like working here...

Cons

Having to work with different age groups/personalities in a close home like setting. Co-workers not doing their tasks or young college workers not taking their job seriously. Too many residents to care for at once (13).

Thank you for hiring me. I really enjoy my job because it is rewarding but the pay is low. We either need more staff members on the floor in order to efficiently care for these residents or we should be given more pay. $10/hour is not enough to give complete care for 13 elderly people. I do it because I'm a single parent with children and have no choice.

Great company with many great employees!

Pros

Great Residents and a great team. Everyone pulled their weight even when things came up.

Cons

There was clear division in teamwork between units. People felt under appreciated when working with another team.

Promote unity. It'll provide a better work environment.

Management not fair or professional.

Former Employee - Care Manager
    Former Employee - Care Manager

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the residents! They come from all walks of life and from all over the place! They are such a joy to sit and talk to. You can learn so much from them. It is very easy to fall in love with them!!!

Cons

The challenges were the unfairness to the staff and inconsistencies in professionalism. New management created a way to weed out and them replace staff by being very critical and unfair.

Be more keen to what is really going on and be more sensitive to what the employees go through.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!