Sunrise Senior Living Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014

3.1

Sunrise Senior Living CEO Chris Winkle
Chris Winkle

Pros
  • I met so many wonderful team members that I am honored to have worked with (in 17 reviews)

• Love the residents you are able to transfer (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Occassionally have to work long hours and the additional effort is not always recognised (in 9 reviews)

• Poor management, lack of leadership and poor communication (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

EXECUTIVE LEVEL

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is all about our seniors.

Cons

Regional Support THEY TREAT THEIR TEAM LIKE WORK HORSES!

EXPECTATIONS OUT OF LINE WITH EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS.

good

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

residents, some staff, some coordinators
    some staff
    coordinator team
    benefits

Cons

head office
    over worked
    under appreciated
    no budgets
    alway cutting positions

listen tonyour teams

It is a good stepping stone.

Current Employee - Lead Dining Care Manager  in  Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Lead Dining Care Manager in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents are truly the reason the employees of Sunrise go to work; we enjoy giving and providing a comfortable home for these respectable elders of ours. The general care managers and staff truly work together to help one another and this can be reflected in the care they provide; the best.

Cons

- The higher positioned staff or so called Coordinators have a definite lack of care or acknowledgement of the work being done by their employees. Those who have worked there for years are not given proper incentive to be giving the care they do.
    - Wages are a huge con
    - Such strict policies and budgets in the dining area cause problems with ordering and sufficient food supplies.

Turnover rates at my current home have drastically increased, indicating there has been some negative changes. I have noticed a huge different in the way things have been done in the past year and see residents unhappy with these changes. Maybe truly ensuring your coordinators, not just ED's, are performing to the best of their abilities should be mandate for your company.... because I truly see they are not performing as headquarters would hope.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living

Pros

Very well organized, very home like for our seniors, great company culture.

Cons

They need to incorporate more division wide training to help directors understand what it is like being on the front line at a community.

share more personal time with the front line staff

"Sunrise Senior Living an awesome, warmly and wonderful family to be"

Current Employee - Lead Care Manager  in  Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Lead Care Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working at Sunrise Senior Living because of the foundation belief. I feel this is heavenly. Furthermore, the mission statement, principles of service, the core values and the team member credo makes me feel comfortable and fulfilled in serving our residents.
    The residents are just so sweet to be with them. My co-workers are a formidable team. Together we form a wonderful family. Am always full of smiles, joy and fulfilled just to know that I can make a difference and put a smile on someone's face.
     I have been away from them for a couple of months due to sickness. Am amazed with the support and encouragements I have been receiving from the residents, management and co-workers. I am always emotional when am visited, receive cards and flowers from them, to the extent that I have been taken out for dinners organised by staff. I feel so humbled by these gestures of love. The management has always been in touch with me. This family is so special to me.
     I was amazed to receive a letter to acknowledge the long service I have been with Sunrise Senior Living. Hard work, commitment, dedication and passion is awarded at Sunrise Senior Living. In addition, to the remunerations i.e wages, pension, etc one is recognised for any extra effort made both for the residents as well as to members of staff i.e in form of shopping vouchers, soul and heart notes. I love this.

Cons

The main challenge has been the frequent changes of management. I guess it is unavoidable in a changing business environment. This however, has had an impact on some long term stay residents even some members of staff leaving. I believe there should be a balance on profit making and the Welfare of the residents.
    There has been challenges on annual leave approvals. At the beginning of the year everybody is requested to apply for the year. At times, it a problem to get approved on the specific times that one would like to have the time off due to lots of applications on that period. I do appreciate the challenge of satisfying everyone but at the same I recon that our residents have to be served at the highest standard possible to provide the quality of life.
    Apart from the basic training provided, I wish other extra relevant courses solicited by individuals could be allowed to enhance their job performance.

Care staff turnover is too high that sometimes leads to some other few remaining team members being overworked in turn leading to being off sick. This disturbs residents and work flows. Members of staff should be encouraged to do some extra activities for themselves supported by Management i.e dance clubs, swimming clubs, dinners clubs etc for team building
    There should be a very clear chain of command. Instructions from so many people confuses and puts strain especially on the care staff. For example, the Lead Care Manager instructs the Care Manager the task to be carried out, the Nurse may come to give more instructions on another task, before the tasks are completed may be the Activities Coordinator requests another task to be done by the same individual. Before long the General Manager or Deputy Manager asks for an urgent task to be done.

Level of Care Excellent

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff truly care about the residents and aren't just there for a paycheck. The corporation has a good reputation. The benefits are excellent. The atmosphere is homey and the time with residents is fulfilling.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be a pain. Making changes for the good of staff and residents can take forever. The company has been sold to two separate corporations for care and for real estate, and that has resulted in another level of removal of top levels from staff doing the work day to day. Care staff turnover is too high.

Literally, walk a mile in the shoes of every front line staff position. Shadow each of us through a full day at least, for a week at coordinator level. Do not pass down directives from on high without input from the residents and staff. Be more creative about Corporate rewards for excellent work, eg discounts at more places than Verizon, restore cash rewards for years of service (drop new "gift catalog"), say Thanks more, and show respect especially for the Reminiscence Neighborhood. Require directors and coordinators to spend at least 2 days a month on the floor all day with staff and residents.

Love this company

Current Employee - Activities Assistant
    Current Employee - Activities Assistant

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Promote from within, rewards employees for outstanding work, supportive of continuing education, good work ethic and team work

Cons

Hours and budget cut can effect resident servces

remember that the needs of residents do not decrease simply because there may be fewer in the building at any given time-

Fantabulous in the healthcare industry

Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Assisted Living Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendliness, professionalism, homelike environment. I would have my family live at Sunrise, and only Sunrise

Cons

Polo shirts and khaki pants as the dress code

Great job!

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exton, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA (US)

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents are great, generally a fun, home-like environment that can be very warm and inviting.

Cons

Management is very cliquey. They preach communication, but fall short themselves. Favoritism is apparent.

Praise your good workers instead of just barely punishing the bad ones. People who work really hard rarely get noticed, just taken advantage of, yet the ones who barely try, seem to be praised any time they do a little bit more than their jobs call for. Coordinators get doted on non stop with gifts and bonuses, but the ones doing all the grunt work get nothing. Try to make all your staff, especially the front line, feel valued.

great place to work in my senior years

Current Employee - Wellness Nurse
    Current Employee - Wellness Nurse

I have been working at Sunrise Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my residents and families, we get to have fun while working. Ability to transfer to other communities if you need to move and maintain company benefits, which are pretty good.

Cons

management not very interested in our voice on a community level only on company wide level. No consistency in following procedure Although training is ok.all training is on Kiosk, people fall asleep, text and don't pay attention , once training is completed team members are expected to "get with it"

listen to your team, show appreciation on daily basis, be consistent as a management team, don't play favorites, follow the great policy and procedures Sunrise has in place for managing/appreciating your team consistently. Frequently coordinators don't know policy, promoted because they were a good care manger and now are their peers supervisor ,not a great idea.

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!