Sungard Availability Services

Updated 12 September, 2014
2.8

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern
Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization (in 14 reviews)

• great place to learn new skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a very good company before going private. There was much more teamwork and enthusiasm. Gradually disintegrated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wood Dale, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL (US)

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Don't know current environment well enough, but what I have heard it has not been good. Work-life balance has been mentioned quite a bit. Promotions - none. perks - no. Haven't given out raises in years, that I know of.

Cons

When is the next RIF? How can one concentrate on personal growth wondering when they will be escorted out of the building. When a company leaks these RIF's out, how do they expect employees to react. Let's be honest here.

Best of luck in your endeavor's. You have quite a challenge with employee moral. You must lead them to moral high ground.

A brave new SAS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay / benefits / almost all folks

Cons

Little shaky post separation from parent SunGard DS

Get the re-orgs done and remove the MS/RS silos

Good company to start your career

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well known in Disaster Recovery Services. Presents good opportunities if you are in right hands. Salary is good. Work life balance is awesome.

Cons

Your tenure does not bring you any glamour. You will be always treated as a new employee.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its okay to work place

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Pune (India)

Pros

Awsm work life balance. Good Package

Cons

Very less learning opportunities. Politics inside the company.

Need to provide more chances to employee for learning.

I have been very happy at Sungard.

Current Employee - Office Manager  in  Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is the best. Benefits are good and you get 2 weeks vacation, sick time and holidays.

Cons

The annual raises suck so make sure you get paid what you want when you accept your job offer. Also, in my position there is no room for advancement, but the company says they support you to grow and learn and advance.

Watch the rates of the employees share for benefits. You cannot give a general 2% raise every year and have benefits go up by double that. Keep focusing on the product and stay on top of the market - don't play catch up.

Not a good company to work for

I worked at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

nice people, good vacation time

Cons

bad benefits, low salary, etc

Struggling to redefine itself.

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to work as directly or as hands on as you want with a very broad range of technologies and services.

Cons

Near constant reorganizations have been bleeding the company's intellectual captial (people!) at every periodic RIF. Too much focus on building overcomplicated process rather than bulding stronger, better, more capable employees at all levels. Outsourcing/offshoring trend is acellerating at an alarming rate apparently based solely on a cost basis without regards for what it's impact on service quality, customer-facing outcomes, and customer perception.

Invest in your people instead of trading them away for third parties, cost is a consideration, but quailty of service needs to be a higher priority. Put real thought into not repeating past mistakes, and learn to listen and consider what all of your staff has to say rather than just a select few

Zero inspection, zero accountability - wish the board would read these reviews

Former Employee - Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Director of Operations

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent sized budget to get your job done (until they claw back cash twice a year because they aren't making their budget). Certain teams are brilliant but unable to be successful because the business is falling down around then.

Cons

CEO and leadership team have no clue what they are doing. We have not been able to deliver new services or products that are commercially viable in 18+ months. Amazingly, no one is held accountable for this!!! We are an "availability service provider" and yet we face customer impacting outages on a very regular basis! The people feeding the leadership team with updates, facts, and figures distort the truth or flat out lie, and no one at the senior level has the wherewithal to see through the BS. I have never seen so many facts distorted and then communicated internally and to the board. I have to imagine the board has written us off because otherwise I can't see how they would tolerate the tap dance the leadership team is doing to distract them from a business that is a sinking ship. Any decent employee with a brain sees the writing on wall and is looking to get out.

Do the company a favor and resign, then retire so you don't inflict your total lack of operational acumen, business ethics and regard for your employees on another company.

Good place to learn about and touch different technologies.

Former Employee - Technical Service Delivery Engineer  in  Carlstadt, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Service Delivery Engineer in Carlstadt, NJ (US)

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you are a self-learner and want the freedom to tinker with different technologies and hardware, then this is the place. But that's about it.

Cons

Constant loom of layoffs, poor communication between staff and management, currently under-staffed, no upward mobility within the company

Recent Re-Org was a case of Fire, Ready, Aim.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Management finally realized they needed to align their lines of business. Theoretically, this will improve hybrid solution ideas and development. Work-life balance can be found as long as you are flexible. The company has a decent customer base and is working on building competencies, especially for complex IT solutions. Compensation is fair, as are benefits.

Cons

Too much change going on at once makes it difficult to know how to get things done. Politics have come into play. Product development isn't held accountable for their results. Certain teams are critical to success and yet remain starved from resource and investment. Management doesn't seem to know how where bottlenecks exist to address constraints.

While the re-org will eventually align efforts more efficiently, it also took on too much change at once. Global alignment, ITIL organization structure changes on top of consolidated products is causing too much distraction at a time when there's a need for focus. Senior management changes brought in new leadership who did not have enough understanding of how much change they were about to inflict. Senior management should have planned these changes and listened to a managers across lines of business before pulling the trigger.

Recognize the teams which are bottlenecks in our solution pipeline and give them help. This would accelerate our go to market strategy.

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!