Sungard Availability Services

www.sungardas.com

Sungard Availability Services Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Sungard Availability Services – San Ramon – “View of the mountain from the office”

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern

Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization(in 13 reviews)

• great place to learn new skills(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less(in 20 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work(in 15 reviews)

Manager Senior Systems Engineer

Manager Systems Engineering (Current Employee) Wood Dale, IL (US)

ProsChallenging opportunity to support Disaster Recovery customers in both DR planning and execution.

ConsCompany has gone through many RIF's over the past few years. It appears they are going through extensive reorganization.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen well and consider thoughts and opinions of long term employees when offered.

Good Company to work

QA-Specialist (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsGood Work life balance. Competitive salary.

ConsToo many changes of strategic directions.

Its great to work for

ProsTons of mobility and growth

ConsNothing I could have thought of

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work until new management showed up.

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

ProsWas a decent work environment, great team.

ConsManagement changes caused major disruption. Large part of the team ended up quitting (The manager that caused the disruption ended up leaving the company shortly after the team was disbanded)

I negotiated contracts for the companies numerous service offerings.

Contract Specialist (Former Employee) Wayne, PA (US)

ProsDecent work/life balance, great coworkers in my department, not a stuffy corporate environment.

ConsThe company leadership changed while I was there and the new leadership team struggled to find its footing and seemed to be steering the company in a direction that I did not like. Leadership changed again after I left and I've heard it is a much better environment there now.

The managers and SMEs were very helpful. They enabled me to successfully complete the project

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Thornton, CO (US)

ProsI was hired to help identify metadata to apply to files to improve the search engine, and to apply the metadata and improve their library structure. The managers, SMEs, and support people I worked with were extremely helpful and cooperative. Without their timely help, the project couldn't have been completed and access to their documentation would not have been improved.

ConsThere wasn't the budget for me to continue or to find another project there. I would have liked to continue there.

In many ways it is a great place, but...

ProsSGAS pays fairly well, has a decent benefits structure, paid vacation etc. Many of my coworkers are very talented and hard working. I am never bored.

ConsI am always frustrated. Leadership is non-visionary and micro-managing. Many departments care more about protecting turf than serving a customer or meeting a goal. It is common to work holidays, weekends and on vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpowerment. You have talented people working here. You pay well enough to attract good people, let them do their jobs.

Secretive management style. Very little feed back or written appraisals

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA (US)

ProsUtilized my business skills well

Constoo cliquish and contained the "in crowd and those not in"

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many managers and not enough management

Good natured people doing good work

ProsEverybody is eager to help and see you succeed

Constough to get them to move forward on a posting for a new opening

Advice to Senior ManagementIf its open fill it there are plenty of out of work people to pick up the slack where entry level people have moved up from.

Don't work here.

ProsWork-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization. People on the front-lines truly care and are doing a heroic effort in removing the water from the titanic. Middle mgmt is smarter than leadership.

ConsVery bad corporate culture and leadership. No strategy only fire-fighing. Revenue continues to decline & no one seems to care. "Org changes", "consolidations", "re-alignments" every 2-3 months. Reductions in headcount are their only way to hit budget. Leadership team is out to paint a rosy picture to investors in order to maximize their valuation in selling the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither inspire your employees with a development road-map aligned to the companies strategy or leave.

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!