SunTrust Reviews

Updated 23 April, 2015
998 reviews filtered by
2.7
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good benefits regarding health insurance and 401K with company match (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 44 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

1. Recruiter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, training opportunities. Manager who listened and supported her employees.

Cons

Outsourced recruiting duties, causing reduction in force

2. Portfolio Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture; ever-evolving; great management structure; employees are heard

Cons

Regulations cause swift changes; lots of systems that don't talk to each other

3. Sales consultant

Current Employee - Personal Banker
    Current Employee - Personal Banker

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best reason is having Sunday's off and having holidays off to spend with with family.

Cons

Compensation and health benefits.

5. Teller 1

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cape Coral, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cape Coral, FL (US)

I worked at SunTrust part-time

Pros

The people where great, the training is thorough, but not much more.

Cons

The pay is low especially for women. I experienced sexual discrimination. Another teller was hired the same time as me, a man in his 20's and still at 46 I could run circles around him and did.
    For some reason he made at least 3 $ more per hour then I. He was slow, bad mouthing both workers and clients, and ended up losing his job due to misconduct by serving his family, A very clearly stated NO-NO!! When I came up for my review, I scored well but they chose to find some minor detail to keep me from advancing to Teller 2 and more importantly a raise. Not Fair! They don't reward honesty or many very vital things. Anyone can find something if they waant to in order to keep from givng them a raise- that's why I left. I don't get it. I thought ompanies were profit minded but when you skimp out on a small raise to a good employee and lose them you have to start all over and that means much more money, training for weeks on end and getting a new employee up to speed.

Advice to Management

Pay your honest Employees a living wage, let them advance. The more confidence you show in us as loyal, honest, hardworking employees the better the employee. Anyone can find something if they want to in order to keep from giving them a raise- that's why I left. I don't get it. I thought companies were profit minded but when you skimp out on a small raise to a good employee and lose them you have to start all over and that means much more money, training for weeks on end and getting a new employee up to speed.

6. In-Store Branch manager

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team to work with, in-depth training, great benefits.

Cons

System efficiency can be better.

FSR

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Teammates.....down time....pay. experience. Good Training from very nice people.

Cons

Quarterly bonuses were 1200.00 (all of 2014)...now theyre 300-400, but, youll never make them,,,,,all the important things bankers sell are no longer valued as of 2015....only checking,checking,checking accounts...They changed the bonus structure so that the 300-400 bonus cant be met without significant checking account quotas being met...What other bank values a DDA over a mortgage,equity line, so on...Secondary to that, when did huge amounts of lending from a banker, well in excess of quota standards, become worth 0$ on their paycheck...They took away free AD&D insurance....Cut the free life insurance in half...switched from suits and dress clothes to cheesy looking polos...The pay is reasonable, but job security is laughable. Three consecutive months not selling checking accounts, no matter how many other relevant products you sell, and your gone..Last couple of years were great,,,,,this year is just another Upper management fool(probably from Best Buy) deciding a new approach is needed....BM's have no authority...They cant hire or fire you without an uppers "ok"..The amount of changes ive seen in 14 months has been almost unbelievable. ( this is company wide...not just in my store/region)I truly wanted SunTrust to be a career, now, I only look forward to leaving. BTW FSR III earn between 32-37K...If your applying, ask for 35K. P.S.RUN!

Advice to Management

Quit immediately, you're not Bankers. This place is a shadow of its former self, with turnover rates that would rival Burger King.

8. no precise vision to gather around

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

client loyalty and brand image

Cons

internal conflict is stopping progress

Advice to Management

pick a side and go

9. A sometimes fun and high pressure work environment.

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Working at other banks, this is one of the better ones to work for in terms of pay, benefits and goal expectations. The company values you more as an employee than some other financial institutions.

Cons

There are a lot of politics involved in working in the retail banking industry overall and SunTrust is no exception. District managers really only care about what you're producing and not you as an individual. There are no clear goals because one system lists a number while your location manager says another and the district manager has a completely different expectation.

Advice to Management

Care more about employees as people instead of only worker bees and they will be happier and in turn be more productive and accepting of last minute changes.

Vice President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great environment. Company is trying to do right by its employees for the most part.

Cons

No internal promotions, Only the very few lucky enough to work on high profile sales or projects get above average ratings and cost of living raises that go along with it.

11. overall good bank to work for, especially if you work hard

I have been working at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Above average pay/ compensation. Hard work can be generously rewarded with quarterly incentive bonus payouts

Cons

Compliance dept refuses to let licensed bankers discuss investments in any manner w/ clients. Not sure why they have a licensed position if you can't use it.