SunGard

SunGard Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros
  • If you are put in right project they work life balance would be excellent (in 39 reviews)

• flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Though upper management is overly dependent on micro management (in 12 reviews)

• Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

very happy

Project Manager (Current Employee) Montreal, QC

Prosinternational company which is known all over the world

Constraining process is not good at all

Advice to Senior Managementwork on training and employee packages

Learning Opportunity

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsStaff was kept when EIM was purchased
    Family feeling
    Upper Management tried to keep us positive
    Very team focused
    Great PM's

ConsWorried about bottom line- therefore clients had to pay for upgrades which they refused to
    Seem to buy small profitable companies, bleed them of resources, layoff all staff and shut company down
    HR not effective
    Deals were hampered with clients because by accounting because of meeting revenue quota's and ownership of source code
    Farmed many jobs to India reducing staff in North America and UK

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with staff - they are on the front lines with the clients and understand the needs and wants
    Try to remember not everything is about the bottom line - Many staff worked long hours to keep clients happy

Lots of potential but accountants run the show

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSunGard, Recovery Services, is an exciting environment that allows technicians full freedom to learn and do things that most folks only dream about. Due to our hands on approach we learn more in 6 months across more enterprise equipment than most people do in production for years. The excitement of recovering clients during a disaster is like no other workplace - you know you're doing good by helping out companies and ultimately, people.

ConsManagement talks about caring and that people are valuable. Unfortunately that's only talk, it always, always, comes down to money for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending that your employees are important. Either do it or be truthful about it. You'll get more respect as a result.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aquisiton growth company, but needs great improvement

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere are several locations if you are interested in moving (mostly in the US, but globally as well). In addition there are several 'areas of interest' within the company (Insurance, Disaster Recover, Education) and it is a large so there are lots of opportunities available.
    The benefits are decent, with company contribution to group RRSP, Employee Assistance Program in addition to Health/Medical & Dental.

ConsSungard grows by buying smaller companies - yet they don't seem to be very proficient at it. Back office changes are chaotic and unpredicatable, and communication is contradictory from one week to the next.
    Incorrect first of the year payout, lack of ability to bring integrated staff into the online pay stub processing (the manual work around for paper copies leaves MUCH to be desired), conflicting/confusing travel coverage [for those employees that are consultants to clients]. Very disappointing for a company that grows by aquistion.

Advice to Senior ManagementDocument aquisition processes & adhere to them. Have at least one 'specialist' (project/program manager) to oversee integration with milestones, targets etc to make sure that there is a single point of information flow.

Good for experience, but for the long haul may not be the best choice.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSeem to explore new ideas and technologies which allow growth for the company. They seem like a family oriented company, when it is in there best interest. Pretty fair when it comes to time off and working from home.

ConsYou just never know when you are going to get laid off as they have been going through a rough time. Seems like a clear cut line in the sand with respect to the old product and new product. Seems like two groups within Sungard trying to achieve the same goal. No unity. Lots of miscommunication and people just don't share responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust tell the truth and don't beat around the bush. You would gain more of our respect if you just told us how it is.

Good company with limited career growth

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNice perks: Can work from home from time to time, great gifts on your 5-10-15 years at work.

Smart developers

Constantly improving the release cycle and following the best practices.

ConsRe-organization can happen frequently so this can be stressful.

Depending on the above, you can have a manager that doesn't share the same vision or ideas at all with the previous one so you will need to adapt.

Good work-life balance, poor career opportunities

Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe work-life balance is probably the best I've had in my career. And for around a year, there's the ability to learn both the technological and business-based aspects of your role.

ConsOnce you've been in the job a while, boredom tends to creep in. There is realistically very little chance of career progression owing to the acquisition-based nature of the company, meaning teams work in silos without much interaction across products, let alone departments and divisions. The compensation package is not fantastic, but owing to the good work-life balance, it's acceptable. Senior management can be based in another part of the globe, meaning you don't have any contact with them from one year to the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer progression for employees needs to improve, otherwise good talent will always be on the look out for jobs elsewhere. Senior management needs to improve interaction with it's staff.

over all good experience

ProsGreat Salary and Benefits, work from home allowed

Constoo many reorg is not good for the company and employees either

Advice to Senior Managementplease do not reorg too much

Love my coworkers

ProsI have an amazing group of coworkers, which is one the reasons that I have stayed as long as I have.
    My immediate managers are caring and genuinely look out for those people who work under them .

ConsLack of concern for employee morale, limited ability to move up in the company, high benefit copays and stagnant salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith the lack of even basic loving raises and the increased cost of benefits, many employees are making less than they did years ago.

Good company to settle down. Not sure after the acquisition by Datatel

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsThe higher education sector - Laid back, Life - Work balance (i know), excellent opportunities for learning for freshers, safe for women

ConsThe typical in any small organization. long term-ers and politicians.. as long as you are not wronging anyone, it's a good organization to be there.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!