SunGard

SunGard Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros:
  • "flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Very flexible work environment with relatively low workload stress"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad Management with no way to stop declining sales.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Wayne, PA (US)

I have been working at SunGard full-time

ProsNot many. Management is too reactive to classify anything in the Pro category. Free Coffee.

ConsDisorganized SR Management. Sales Ops team is a joke. IT ignores them. Declining Sales with no way to stop the bleeding. Data issues and irregularities. Constant fire drills. No plan. Tons of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the spin off.

Not forward looking

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
North Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood salary. Good work from home policy since they closed the local office.

ConsNot forward looking, very little chance for advancement. No sense of job security - people are let go all too often, and there does not seem to be a relationship between the people who are let go and the effectiveness of that person in their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the people who work their tails off.

Not the best company in the world

I have been working at SunGard

ProsForcing of bad technologies and products

ConsSalary isn't bad, Working hours are relativly standard, there isn't overtime.

A company in transition

Vice President (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSunGard offers good benefits, and has some great people working there, many who are devoted to their customers.

ConsSince the LBO, the organizational structure has been transitioning from a business unit centered structure (or silos) to a far more inefficient functional organizational structure. This causes senior management to have to know and understand the operations of many business units, their needs, and their customer base. This is a failing proposition. The organization is also embracing off-shoring, an exercise that is doomed to fail in the long term, and which can only hurt the company as foreign employees leave SunGard to pursue better paying jobs, taking with them the expertise necessary to maintain operations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut control of your business units back with the folks that know and understand the products. Senior management cannot know, nor understand, the breadth of business that they are being asked to, and as such, the business units suffer.

SunGard

I have been working at SunGard

ProsThe benefits at SunGard are good.

ConsThe management at SunGard (at least in my business unit) makes terrible decisions.

Opportunities, level of autonomy very dependent on segment/dept that you work in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerally little micro-management, able to work independently with relative autonomy. Often given responsibility within short time of joining.
Strong products in most areas
Most managers allow some working from home although not formally implemented

ConsLittle training/development although management/HR are trying to address this
Big focus on cost & bottom line
Working practices dependent on manager
Business segments are silo-ed with minimal opportunity to move across
Frequent reorgs and structural changes

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are serious about training and development, you need to allocate resources and money and apply it across the board to all functions

A lot of job to do in order to achieve the theoretical values

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
La Goulette (Tunisia)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than a year

Prossalary, trainings, values, holiday balance

Conshuman dimension , carrer path, management of the 24/7 operations

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to fill the gap between theorical values and the reality of the business on the groud

Treated a 24/ 7 job like a 9 to 5. No incentives. Poor managment.

Mid Range Specialist II (Current Employee)
Carlstadt, NJ (US)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the folks that work at Sungard are enjoyable to work with. The hours when employed were nice and convenient.

ConsThe Management is absolutely heartless. When Sungard acquired Comdisco, they of course promised the world. They decided to fire people the week before christmas. Made a comment to my manager which he didn't like. F' him. I hate this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Once great, now slowly sinking.

Parsippany, NJ (US)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

Proswages can be competitive and there's a good chance you'll run into some excellent people all throughout the organization that are great at their job and excellent to work with. They do attract some good talent.

ConsAnnual reorgs for no apparent reason. unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there. Massive drive to move everything possible to Florida, but again unless you're high enough up relocation help isn't available. Layoffs/downsizing/rightsizing seem to be happening more and more frequently with a big push to get and stay very lean. Work Life balance has become non-existant for many, depending on your role/department. Benefits get worse and worse each year.

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is TOO lean, with many co-workers working 6 days a week just to keep up, with no compensation for doing so. Forcing older workers out in favor of hiring someone with no experience for less in FL is seriously draining the knowledge base of Sungard's products and it is being reflected in the increasingly unhappy customer base.

Unfocused in the market, uncommunicative to employees

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work/life balance
Excellent and competent peer co-workers
Decent benefits

ConsUnfocused product strategy; the company can't seem to decide between building or buying, which confuses the market as well.
Very little communication between management and employees leaves you guessing as to how to benchmark your own performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to your employees what is expected of them and provide professional training and development if they lack specific skills.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 228 reviews are posted anonymously by SunGard employees.