Sun Products Corporation

Sun Products Corporation Reviews

Updated 26 January, 2015
Updated 26 January, 2015
2.7

Sun Products Corporation Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey P. Ansell
Jeffrey P. Ansell

Sun Products needs act like the small,

Current Employee - Brand Manager
    Current Employee - Brand Manager

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time

Pros

-high caliber colleagues: the company mostly attracts excellent people at the associate level

Cons

-performance: the company is not in a strong position for growth. investment in innovation and brand building is below the levels needed to deliver short-sighted cost targets.
    -targets: business objectives are systematically unrealistic and create a negative working environment.
    -management: leadership at the director level is lacking the experience required to prioritize and win. The company wants to act like a sophisticated CPG (Unilever, P&G), but with significantly fewer resources. The leadership team is not adapting to the smaller, more nimble company that they (claim to) want to be.

All Talk and You Must Conform

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (more than a year)

Pros

Good money. Learned a great deal and very interesting work.

Cons

Treats you like an outsider. No one really talks to you unless its work related. Everyone must act and conform as they are told or they are out. Senior management is only concerned about how it looks rather that what is actually is and most of the senior management can't even handle the copy machine or pull together a report from excel.

Open you eyes to the hard workers you have in the rank and file. There is great talent there that is just waiting to shine and if you don't encourage that you are going to lose talent and gain a poor reputation.

No formal organized training/ High stress environment

Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Supply Chain Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees in the office were really sweet/ thoughtful. You can learn how to manipulate Microsoft Office like a champ by collaborating with skilled co-workers. Tuition reimbursement and retirement matching plan were great.

Cons

Health benefits and training are terrible/embarrassing. Also, you will not experience freedom on the weekends. As required, I had to carry the company laptop home on weekends and to church on Sundays to answer emails and make sure that trucks were delivering as expected. Most of the managers are arrogant and need to learn humility.

My biggest disappointment: This is an environment in which people love to gossip and make you look at fault for their problems by "throwing you under the bus" without first checking the facts. Co-workers/people in other departments assume the worst and try to cover their apples by writing an email to your manager/ manager's manager. On these emails, they are trying to get you fired without furnishing proof. Many times, I had to provide proof to managers that the Traffic Department or sales staff were at fault for the very mistakes that they were blaming me. I started experiencing heart pains from all the stress that I was encountering.

In conclusion, if you want to advance here and fit into the culture properly, then you should 1. gossip a lot 2. blame other people 3. Not believe in yourself or you will be labeled as arrogant.

I am not holding any ill feelings toward anyone. The severed relationship between me and SPC was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Shortly after, I found another company that treated me respectfully and now I have the best manager that I could ever ask for.

If you are experiencing the same problems, you might also want to sever the relationship with SPC and enjoy freedom again.

My management is unappreciative and condescending, hindering results with unneccsary processes.

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Great benefits and a good wellness program .

Cons

There is no consistency with n processes, they seem to make them up as they go. NO merit increases last year. High turnover rate and they are losing long time employees. No career development.

Show your employees they are valued, show employees they are respected. Listen to them when they tell you waht works instead of dismissing them.

Private Company with potential but morale struggles

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay is good, work-life balance varies by department, strong cultural values, team members support each other, brand names and products you can be proud of.

Cons

staffing is so lean at this point that it's exposed to execution slip-ups; multiple years of struggling to achieve a decent bonus is disheartening to the loyal and dedicated employees. "next year..." is starting to fall on deaf ears.

When private equity acquires a business and doesn't trust the people that got the company to where it was, nobody wins.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sun Products Corporation (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits. Decent wages (depending on the job). Friendly coworkers.

Cons

New management unwilling to properly assess existing processes, products, people and systems. Inevitable fallout in sales, people and productivity due to short-sightedness. East coast vs. West coast mentality doesn't build unity. The slogan, "One Sun" was not practiced by senior management. Dress code for business personnel was ridiculous. (No docker type pants for instance)

Do more due diligence on your next acquisition. Trust existing management more instead of pulling your buddies out of early retirement to replace them at 2x or more cost.
    A successful company doesn't have to be headquartered in NY or CT. There are far more effective and cheaper places to run a business.

Was good when it was Unilever

I worked at Sun Products Corporation

Pros

Decent pay and good people

Cons

Management doesn't listen to its workers

Pay attention to what your employees have to say

Started off strong, but there was a change in management

Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Category Insights Manager in Bentonville, AR (US)

I have been working at Sun Products Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is incredible here. Pay is good. Previous manager was very flexible and collaborative.

Cons

This is still the good 'ol boys club. There is an inability to adapt to today's virtual business and are passive aggressive and almost pouty when they are challenged to evolve. Communication is awful, you will be all but ignored if you are not one of the boys. Because if this lack of communication, they can't give a clear path to your role, or do they know how to develop you and they admit that.

Great brands, poor culture

Former Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Wilton, CT (US)

I worked at Sun Products Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands for each consumer segment, very talented employees, good inter-employee relationships, competitive compensation/benefits.

Cons

Leadership: constantly changing, lacking vision and motivation, creating punitive culture, reactive, micromanaging rather than leading. Workload unreasonable. Employee appreciation lacking.

Create a vision for the company. Create a culture of appreciation. Add some creativity and true marketing to the bookkeeping. Be realistic about the resources you have.

Sun Products Corporation Photos