Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, nice clean offices"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Sensible business decisions, great people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I really enjoyed the people I work with and the Sun Life culture.

I have been working at Sun Life full-time

ProsLeadership had an open door policy and was easy to access. I had the opportunity to learn many new things and learned how to navigate around a large organization to get things done.

ConsMy challenge was when our leader changed everything changed. The whole team was scared and worked hard out of fear. This was not a positive environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to address why there is high turn over in a department and figure out the truth. If someone is not suited for a role every effort should be made to find that person a role within the organization.

Great Compagny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsLove the cultural change Isabelle Hudon brought with her (QC) , and I believe cie will grow in a near future

ConsA lot of work impartition is being done to India, which reduces the # of jobs in canada and complicates communication for administrarion level jobs

Sun Life is a great place to work if you can manage the politics.

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment. Great people to work with.

ConsVery strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to feedback and recommendations from your employees. Some points are very valid and applicable if you listen.

HR

Rather Not Say (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, nice clean offices

ConsFavouritism, if your liked your golden, if not your dead in the water. Work loads to high, very reactive. Senior managers all located at a different location and have no idea what's going on at the other site.

A dysfunctional company from the view of a Financial Advisor

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExpanding their branding ( a lot of household recognition). Gave a number of perks/promotions to increase productivity.

ConsAn unnecessarily complex commission structure and seemed to hire sales managers without any management experience/qualifications. Equated sales prowess with being a good manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the complexity of commission payments. Improve training to sales force staff.

A good place to work over all

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee)
Waterloo, ON

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge company with lots of room to grow or move sideways to other departments. Compensation package is fair, with extra pay if you surpass your metrics.

ConsToo many changes in the Group Benefits call center leave you feeling tired out. Yes, for any job you need to accept change here and there, but at this call center...they are far to common. High turn-over.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a little restructuring of the upper Management. Might help things along.

Great work environment and great work-life balance!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

ProsTeam, Culture, Pay, Flexibility, Work-Life Balance

ConsAdvancement, Weak collaboration, Work silos, Stringent processes

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Lotus Notes.

Sun Life Financial

Intermediate Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Sun Life full-time for less than a year

ProsWe have a very friendly working atmosphere in our department and the study support for actuary students is very nice. We have different tasks so that we can experience different things and learn from the experience.

ConsIt require a good time management skill to balance out life and work, especially when there are some emergency project.

Great Company

Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sun Life full-time

ProsThere are no limits as to how much you can make and the training is amazing & ongoing. Great team atmosphere.

ConsThis is a 100% commission based position and can be very stressfull

If you prefer managing up over doing good work, this is the place for you.

Management (Former Employee)
Kitchener, ON

I worked at Sun Life full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAs with any large company, there are significant differences between major business units, and some have better reputations than others. Good brand reputation as a result of significant marketing spend, which will be eroded as staff morale continues to plummet.

ConsHighly patriarchical company, old boys network, many women (not all) who advance based on their looks and willingness to play up to that, men and women who advance by spending their time promoting themselves at the expense of their staff or their own work. In the Individual area, no clear strategic vision, no culture of accountability within the senior management ranks, poor behaviour in clear contradiction of all HR policies ignored or rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementOthers have suggested that senior management doesn't have a clue. On the contrary, they know exactly what they're doing - they behave exactly as they are compensated to behave - which is with a focus on short-term results. It shouldn't surprise anyone that this short-term, results-driven approach supports ad-hoc mass layoffs, expense gap band-aids, and quarterly results at the cost of long term top and bottom line growth.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!

Sun Life Videos

Sun Life – Why Work for Us?

Who We Are We’re Sun Life. We’re a leading international financial services company, building on our strengths for nearly 150 years. Our objective is to deliver the best customer experience at every touch point, in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun Life reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sun Life CEO Dean Connor. All 252 reviews are posted anonymously by Sun Life employees.