Sun Life

Sun Life Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Sun Life CEO Dean Connor

Dean Connor

Pros
  • The work environment is fast-paced, accommodating, and comfortable (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, nice clean offices (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Very strong politics especially when you start dealing with senior management (in 13 reviews)

• once you hit mid career, opportunities for advancement evaporate (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The company is great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe working environment is beautiful.

ConsA lot of documents needs to be done, sometimes it is a bit time-consuming.

it was ok

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsStock purchase plan is good.

Conspolitics / some managers micromanages

Decent place to work, great to work in certain business units, high turnover in others because of poor leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsDecent work/life balance and compensation, most non-management level staff are hard-working and great to work with.

ConsGreat company values are not reflected in workplace HR practices, staff are asked to show high initiative but managers show poor leadership in supporting staff, leading initiatives, and addressing problems. Managers either ignore these responsibilities or don't know how to do this. Little transparency in decision-making.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Mgt. has great intentions but no follow through, too much focus on short term results and too many resources (people and time) devoted to reporting to paint a pretty picture. Need to hire more managers at all levels who focus on more than just climbing the ladder, more than just discrediting others to make themselves look better, managers who are passionate about leading and positive change. The quality of the human resources and progress of the company will always be dependent on the quality of staffing decisions. Leaders need to focus more on these decisions and supporting staff, and more time leading; too much of the planning activities are delegated to lower level staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Advisors' Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was always a good working environment.

ConsA lot of very hard work to keep pace.

Great place to work overall!

ProsFlexibility, large company and room to grow

Consworkload can get heavy at times and expectations are high

No integrity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon-management employees are usually great hardworking people. The customers are often nicer than the company deserves.

ConsEmbarrassing to have been associated with this company, it's management culture is that disgusting brew you get when you combine gross incompetence with a heavy dose of tyranny

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile you're cultivating a management culture that is based in dysfunctionality and dishonesty, remember that however you treat your employees is how you treat your customers. Dysfunctional and dishonest is what you want to be known for? Strip away your middle management teams layer by layer ---you have to many layers anyways----and start again. Don't let existing managers choose new ones. They only hire their friends, and they're only friends with people who want things to continue the way they have been.

Absolutely the most stressful and tedious job I've ever had.

Call Center (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood pay, good benefits. I'm talking about the call center here. Receiving calls and such.

ConsWhere to begin Overealistic expectations, apathetic managers, stressful environment, felt like slavery all over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve your Employee Satisfaction Department.

I really enjoyed the people I work with and the Sun Life culture.

ProsLeadership had an open door policy and was easy to access. I had the opportunity to learn many new things and learned how to navigate around a large organization to get things done.

ConsMy challenge was when our leader changed everything changed. The whole team was scared and worked hard out of fear. This was not a positive environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to address why there is high turn over in a department and figure out the truth. If someone is not suited for a role every effort should be made to find that person a role within the organization.

Great Compagny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove the cultural change Isabelle Hudon brought with her (QC) , and I believe cie will grow in a near future

ConsA lot of work impartition is being done to India, which reduces the # of jobs in canada and complicates communication for administrarion level jobs

Lacking in solid support and leadership in certain corporate office areas.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThe good news in there are openings in different corporate areas that will allow you to potentially expand your career.

ConsBeware the long-time employees who know nothing more than this corporate culture and are not of a mind to really support change, or support you through it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look around you; all the "leaders" are not on the same page.

Worked for Sun Life? Contribute to the Community!