Stryker

Updated 5 March, 2015
4.0

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • High energy environment provides for fun work days and natural work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• It is a great company to work for if you are a full-time hire (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Lucky to work for such a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are amazing, and we are all part of a common cause! I feel valued every day, my manager gives me meaningful work to make sure I am engaged, and gives autonomy or guidance when needed. I get to come to work every day with people who are equally as passionate, performance oriented, and driven. I've worked for 3 different teams in my career here so far, and while all unique, they are all equally as focused and dedicated to what they do. It's cliche to say, but it is a work hard/play hard environment that fosters friendships while achieving great things for our customers, both internal and external.

I continue to be impressed with the efforts our leaders make to increase engagement and create accountability around it with the Q12 survey, and other tools throughout the year. Stryker puts development in your court and you need to partner with your manager to figure out your personal development plan - I love this flexibility and openness. You own your career path, and our Global Mobility program has helped even more with sharing talent around the world.

I'm a social person who likes to volunteer, which we get to do through Stryker as well - there are always events and activities, often with a charitable cause, for us to take part in!

Cons

More something to be aware of: Stryker is full of achievers which is what makes it a great place to be, but every person has to find their own definition of work life integration. Make sure you take the time to figure out what works best for you. Every person, manager, and team has a different approach. Depending on your role there will be busy times throughout the year where we have to push through to deliver on the results we promise to our customers, so plan for that, and plan for time with your friends and family :) We all have them and are all human, which my manager recognizes and encourages.

Overrated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

-Very interesting line of products.
    -Training is great
    -Benefits package is top notch.

Cons

It's not how hard you work, it's who you cuddle up to. At times, it can be very childish and manipulative. Their "Culture" needs tweaking, especially in Canada.

Work Hard, great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, Challenging positions, competative in many markets

Cons

No concept of work life balence, most positions are extremly overworked, weak leadership, high turnover

get more staff, reduce the work load on everyone, and maybe they would stay for more than 18 months. Pay good people more instead of the occasional Blizzard Day.

Great people, great management, high achievers

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

Management has open door policy. Employee recognition and employee engagement is excellent. Great benefits and compensation package. Hiring process is in depth and challenging but it ensures best possible employees within the organization.

Cons

Inconsistent with promotions, not always is the right person for the right job promoted, clear favouritism is evident.

Top Employees, Great Benefits, Quality Products, But Lousy Management

Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

(1) Stryker hires highly motivated and talented employees using their Gallup interview process. The company has a young culture, with many employees in their 20's and 30's. The employees work hard, and always seem willing to help others.

(2) The Mahwah office has a cafeteria offering a full breakfast and lunch, a gym for employees to use, and many department have frequent after-work activities. Salaries are very good, particularly for entry-level positions, everyone starts with three weeks vacation, and its possible to get up to an 11% annual match on 401k contributions.

(3) The company makes good products, and compared to other medical device companies, Stryker doesn't have a lot of regulatory or quality issues. Employees are given a lot of opportunities, and in most departments work/life balance is pretty reasonable.

Cons

(1) Fitting in is very important. I like the atmosphere here, but many people won't. Stryker is a work hard, play hard environment with a lot of people from athletic or fraternity/sorority backgrounds. Employees often eat meals together, go to happy hours after work, and the company encourages workplace friendships. Bluntly speaking, if you don't like that culture, or if you don't like socializing with your coworkers, you will not like working at Stryker.

(2) The upper management creates artificial conflicts and divisions. The company's obsession with internal competition and metrics (i.e., measuring performance) is highly corrosive. Instead of working together, there is often conflicts between departments. Furthermore, the politics of Stryker are much worse than I've seen elsewhere, and minor issues are often blown out of proportion. Despite having top employees, projects and other tasks take just as long here as other companies because of the management.

Stryker could be an outstanding place to work if management practices were improved. Scale back on the internal metrics and instead promote cooperation between departments. Also develop a better process for hiring managers. The current interview process works very well for selecting rank and file employees, but often breaks down when it comes to selecting managers.

Ranked #19 on Fortune 100 " Best Places to Work" list for 2015

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

We continue to win multiple best places to work awards
    Stryker is recognized as a "Employer of Choice" among some of the largest and most respected surveys/boards
    We can deliver on our Employment Brand promise...most companies cannot.

Cons

None....this company just keeps getting better everyday!

Keeping growing and listening to your employees....obviously what you are doing is working!

Great team focused on helping orthropods in need!

Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Massive opportunity for growth with a great team dynamic. You will be in the operating room daily to coach physicians and their staff on how to use the best implants in the world

Cons

If you are someone who doesn't like to be up early, this job isn't for you. There is a lot of hurry up and wait; its the nature of the business.

Continue to feed reps and consultants the most relevant and up to date information regarding orthopedics. Nurture these relationships because young reps can get burnt out easily if they lose sight of the goal of helping people.

Great company. Treat their employees very well.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a great culture. Focus on growing and developing talent within organization.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Stryker. Great company!

Overall Good company. Big company easy to get swallowed in the layers

Former Employee - Sales in Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, Good people, made a lot of friends here.

Cons

Big Company, increased cost of benefits and less perks year over year. Upper management out of touch with ground level employees.

Focus more on ground level employees, make sure they have the tools they need to succeed.

Not Bad; but not Great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Stryker

Pros

Benefits aren't bad and most people are friendly. Many old timers that have been bought from other companies combined into current company

Cons

It's challenging being recognized. Upper management / HR / benefits are in a different state.

They don't put the proper time into lower personnel. They can hide their mistakes and will focus on your errors.