Stryker

Updated 30 January, 2015
3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • High energy environment provides for fun work days and natural work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• It is a great company to work for if you are a full-time hire (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Lucky to work for such a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are amazing, and we are all part of a common cause! I feel valued every day, my manager gives me meaningful work to make sure I am engaged, and gives autonomy or guidance when needed. I get to come to work every day with people who are equally as passionate, performance oriented, and driven. I've worked for 3 different teams in my career here so far, and while all unique, they are all equally as focused and dedicated to what they do. It's cliche to say, but it is a work hard/play hard environment that fosters friendships while achieving great things for our customers, both internal and external.

I continue to be impressed with the efforts our leaders make to increase engagement and create accountability around it with the Q12 survey, and other tools throughout the year. Stryker puts development in your court and you need to partner with your manager to figure out your personal development plan - I love this flexibility and openness. You own your career path, and our Global Mobility program has helped even more with sharing talent around the world.

I'm a social person who likes to volunteer, which we get to do through Stryker as well - there are always events and activities, often with a charitable cause, for us to take part in!

Cons

More something to be aware of: Stryker is full of achievers which is what makes it a great place to be, but every person has to find their own definition of work life integration. Make sure you take the time to figure out what works best for you. Every person, manager, and team has a different approach. Depending on your role there will be busy times throughout the year where we have to push through to deliver on the results we promise to our customers, so plan for that, and plan for time with your friends and family :) We all have them and are all human, which my manager recognizes and encourages.

Overrated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

-Very interesting line of products.
    -Training is great
    -Benefits package is top notch.

Cons

It's not how hard you work, it's who you cuddle up to. At times, it can be very childish and manipulative. Their "Culture" needs tweaking, especially in Canada.

Work Hard, great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, Challenging positions, competative in many markets

Cons

No concept of work life balence, most positions are extremly overworked, weak leadership, high turnover

get more staff, reduce the work load on everyone, and maybe they would stay for more than 18 months. Pay good people more instead of the occasional Blizzard Day.

Great people, great management, high achievers

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

Management has open door policy. Employee recognition and employee engagement is excellent. Great benefits and compensation package. Hiring process is in depth and challenging but it ensures best possible employees within the organization.

Cons

Inconsistent with promotions, not always is the right person for the right job promoted, clear favouritism is evident.

Top Employees, Great Benefits, Quality Products, But Lousy Management

Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

(1) Stryker hires highly motivated and talented employees using their Gallup interview process. The company has a young culture, with many employees in their 20's and 30's. The employees work hard, and always seem willing to help others.

(2) The Mahwah office has a cafeteria offering a full breakfast and lunch, a gym for employees to use, and many department have frequent after-work activities. Salaries are very good, particularly for entry-level positions, everyone starts with three weeks vacation, and its possible to get up to an 11% annual match on 401k contributions.

(3) The company makes good products, and compared to other medical device companies, Stryker doesn't have a lot of regulatory or quality issues. Employees are given a lot of opportunities, and in most departments work/life balance is pretty reasonable.

Cons

(1) Fitting in is very important. I like the atmosphere here, but many people won't. Stryker is a work hard, play hard environment with a lot of people from athletic or fraternity/sorority backgrounds. Employees often eat meals together, go to happy hours after work, and the company encourages workplace friendships. Bluntly speaking, if you don't like that culture, or if you don't like socializing with your coworkers, you will not like working at Stryker.

(2) The upper management creates artificial conflicts and divisions. The company's obsession with internal competition and metrics (i.e., measuring performance) is highly corrosive. Instead of working together, there is often conflicts between departments. Furthermore, the politics of Stryker are much worse than I've seen elsewhere, and minor issues are often blown out of proportion. Despite having top employees, projects and other tasks take just as long here as other companies because of the management.

Stryker could be an outstanding place to work if management practices were improved. Scale back on the internal metrics and instead promote cooperation between departments. Also develop a better process for hiring managers. The current interview process works very well for selecting rank and file employees, but often breaks down when it comes to selecting managers.

Best Place to work

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

I have worked many places in my career and Stryker is by far the best place I have ever worked. I have worked for 5 years and have been promoted to manager in a short time. Stryker is a global company and it is amazing to be able to work together with people with different cultures worldwide.

Cons

No downside to working for this company

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Analyst in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, A lot of opportunity, A decent amount of after work activities, A lot of driven people with good ideas

Cons

Th lack of IT support sometimes makes it difficult to get certain projects done. The IT infrastructure is in shambles

I sold to surgeons, nurses, hospital purchasing and C level with top 5% sales.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging position selling in the OR and you either make quota every month or fired.

Cons

Managers had to cover big areas leaving little time to help close business.

Make them adhere to working with Account Managers more frequently.

great company

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

driven culture, great products, work/life flexibility

Cons

lack of training, pay mediocre

Fabricator III

I worked at Stryker

Pros

Great place to work with great people

Cons

Managers need to learn there employees jobs.

Stop listening to what other people say about somebody, look into the situation yourself. Stop promoting people that should have been fired for false filling documents.