Stryker

Updated 17 December, 2014
3.9

Stryker President & CEO Kevin A. Lobo
Kevin A. Lobo

Pros
  • High energy environment provides for fun work days and natural work/life balance (in 40 reviews)

• It is a great company to work for if you are a full-time hire (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is still very behind the times when it comes to work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• The long hours taking care of account (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Lucky to work for such a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are amazing, and we are all part of a common cause! I feel valued every day, my manager gives me meaningful work to make sure I am engaged, and gives autonomy or guidance when needed. I get to come to work every day with people who are equally as passionate, performance oriented, and driven. I've worked for 3 different teams in my career here so far, and while all unique, they are all equally as focused and dedicated to what they do. It's cliche to say, but it is a work hard/play hard environment that fosters friendships while achieving great things for our customers, both internal and external.

I continue to be impressed with the efforts our leaders make to increase engagement and create accountability around it with the Q12 survey, and other tools throughout the year. Stryker puts development in your court and you need to partner with your manager to figure out your personal development plan - I love this flexibility and openness. You own your career path, and our Global Mobility program has helped even more with sharing talent around the world.

I'm a social person who likes to volunteer, which we get to do through Stryker as well - there are always events and activities, often with a charitable cause, for us to take part in!

Cons

More something to be aware of: Stryker is full of achievers which is what makes it a great place to be, but every person has to find their own definition of work life integration. Make sure you take the time to figure out what works best for you. Every person, manager, and team has a different approach. Depending on your role there will be busy times throughout the year where we have to push through to deliver on the results we promise to our customers, so plan for that, and plan for time with your friends and family :) We all have them and are all human, which my manager recognizes and encourages.

Overrated

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dundas, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time

Pros

-Very interesting line of products.
    -Training is great
    -Benefits package is top notch.

Cons

It's not how hard you work, it's who you cuddle up to. At times, it can be very childish and manipulative. Their "Culture" needs tweaking, especially in Canada.

Work Hard, great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, ON

I worked at Stryker full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Challenging positions, competative in many markets

Cons

No concept of work life balence, most positions are extremly overworked, weak leadership, high turnover

get more staff, reduce the work load on everyone, and maybe they would stay for more than 18 months. Pay good people more instead of the occasional Blizzard Day.

Great people, great management, high achievers

I have been working at Stryker full-time

Pros

Management has open door policy. Employee recognition and employee engagement is excellent. Great benefits and compensation package. Hiring process is in depth and challenging but it ensures best possible employees within the organization.

Cons

Inconsistent with promotions, not always is the right person for the right job promoted, clear favouritism is evident.

Stryker takes fantastic care of their employees.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

The benefits are great and they are big on keeping talented people. Opportunity for advancement is high if you are doing well in the company.

Cons

Large territories are difficult. Expenses can become high and it is difficult to get reimbursed if even allowed.

I have enjoyed the management style. They hire motivated people and expect your to act that way. For the most part, let you run your territory.

Stryker is a great place to work

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Mahwah, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Mahwah, NJ (US)

I have been working at Stryker

Pros

Most employees are very focused and motivated to achieve their goals due to the great working environment.
    Expansion means that there is plenty of scope for career progression.
    Quite young and competitive work force.
    What we do helps people to live better lives.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of travel required due to Stryker being a global company with divisions spread across the world. This can also be a pro depending on your mindset.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Competitive Family Environment for High Achievers

Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Stryker

Pros

I was an intern over the summer. The internship changed my life. It pushes you and helps you grow. They really care about the internship program and you can set up meetings with anyone in the building, including the president of the division. You are set up with a mentor and manager and given projects to be completed by the end of the internship and presented to a huge boardroom of people. They provide housing and some meal compensations for the summer and it was the best summer of my life.

-Fast Paced, sink or swim
    -Competitive, but not in a backstabbing way
    -Team oriented
    -High achievers
    -work life balance
    -company values
    -office culture

Cons

-If you aren't self driven or high achieving and competitive, you won't like it.

Great company to work for. Fantastics benefits and pays as well as any in the medical device industry.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Akron, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, pay is above industry average and the products are true differentiators in the market. The people, from marketing, sales reps, managers to everyone in-house are extremely talented.

Cons

Expectations are through the roof. If you do not want to feel the stress to perform every month, every year, do not apply!

Associate

I worked at Stryker

Pros

Great working atmosphere. Transparent and flexible

Cons

Can be boring and dry work

Great company with competent management and personnel.

Current Employee - Global Logistics Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Global Logistics Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI (US)

I have been working at Stryker full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every employee must pass a Gallup exam which gives the company a very strong culture and competencies. Employees are measured on performance and not seniority. With hard work, dedication, and responsibility you can make an impact and receive exposure quickly.

Cons

Salaries are not very competitive. Annual merit increases are low.

Maintain good development and recognition programs but increase average salary bases to ensure a well rounded employee satisfaction.