Strata Decision Technology

2.8

Strata Decision Technology CEO Dan Michelson
Dan Michelson

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good opportunities, fun people, somewhat confused focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Much like other companies, your experience at Strata is heavily dependent on your manager. Because I moved within the company a fair bit, my experience was mixed, but for the last two years I had great managers and I enjoyed working there. Are there some bad days? Of course, but that is the case in any company. My interactions in my most recent role were primarily with the development team and some stakeholders on the consulting side, and I can't complain about the people I worked with. There are definitely some unprofessional people who, thankfully, I did not have to work with too much. But like some of the other reviews suggest, these people tend to be in positions of power because of which their aura permeates through the culture making the environment unprofessional on occasions.

Strata gave me the opportunity to find what I really enjoyed doing, and that is something I am very thankful for. They let you move internally if you prove yourself, which is great, especially right out of undergrad when you don't necessarily know what you want to do. Also, I met some truly awesome people who remain my closest friends.

Cons

My biggest problem with Strata is that they are confused whether they are a tech company or a consulting company. I think they WANT to be a consulting company, but at the end of the day they sell a product without which they might as well shut shop. The culture, the office space and the dress code are very consulting-esque and the political hierarchy and power lie within the consulting teams. As someone on the dev side of things, this was one of my biggest reasons for leaving.

Invest in the product and the product teams and keep your employees happy

Challenging work, rely on some good people, leadership team ignores employee feedback

Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Manager - Consulting Services in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

- There are quite a few good hard working co-workers that keeps the company going.
    - Strata has a great list of client organizations that will give a boost to your resume.
    - Employees can learn a lot in a very short amount of time. There are always opportunities to take on more work and responsibilities.

Cons

- Insecure and incapable leadership team
    - Strata is always short staffed which accounts for terrible work life balance
    - Work/responsibilities not distributed properly with the team and company which disproportionate amounts of work

Leadership team needs to stop pretending that they care because they really do not.

Weak Management, Terrible Office Politics, Motivation Killer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Being an SME who was recently bought over by a private equity firm, this company is focused on growth but has maintained some of the start-up feel. It is a young, fun firm with opportunities to take on various responsibilities as long as it doesn't get in the way with management's insecurities (more on that later). Although not many, I have met a handful of genuine people that I truly respect and hope to cross paths with again in future.

Cons

Many of the existing reviews are spot on (the ones with low rating) and yes, management have been told to write (positive) reviews to bring up the score. Most of senior management consist of mediocre employers straight out of school, who stuck around and got promoted very quickly which stunted their growth and development leaving behind an inapt team of insecure, poor decision makers inhibiting company growth and improvement that the current CEO is trying to achieve.

It is extremely discouraging to see that even with a seemingly level-headed leader injected into the company, the team of young, inexperienced, overly sensitive and insecure management continue to compromise good intentions, hard work, team spirit and optimism of some of the rare bright talent (a couple within management, mostly below management but who usually perform management duties, coaching of their team and exceptional work but cannot break through the ceiling management has created with their insecurity).

But don't get me wrong, the young team of inexperienced managers are not bad people, they are great do-ers who were placed in leadership roles they weren't ready for which causes a detrimental impact to the company. The only thing I blame them for is not having enough self-awareness or concern for the greater good to step down from their role and let more adequate leaders unleash the business' full potential. This has cultivated a toxic environment that rewards brown-nosing, contentment with status quo, personal (and inappropriate) relationships, blaming others, hiding/lying about mistakes, where honesty, trust, openness and integrity are punished.

No room to grow with very few respectable, honest people you can confide in and learn from. If you stay at this place too long it can be soul crushing. When you leave a company, people say you are leaving your manager. In my case, this is absolutely true.

To CEO: You owe it to the company and the dwindling number of hopeful bright talent to make some difficult decisions (it's not exactly difficult when it's obvious to 75% of the company) to either terminate or demote non-performing VPs, AVPs, Directors and Managers. How many years do they get to "prove themselves"? Where is the accountability that has been constantly preached about when you joined?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culture and management team need major overhaul

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

The biggest pro about working here is that you can come up with your own ideas of how to do things and actually try them out. But on the flip side, because the management and culture here are so poor, it is very hard to get other people on your team to help you implement the ideas, even if they are good.

Another good thing about working here is that there are many very bright people. Some are an inspiration to work with and you can learn a lot from them. Some will be your allies and friends and biggest supporters. And some, sadly, will stab you right in the back. It is up to you to figure out who your real allies are.

Compensation is fair, office is nice, you get the computer equipment and tools you need.

Cons

Other reviewers lately have said it better than I could. There is a big problem with the management team. There are many people in management positions who lack the skills to be there - this includes VPs. They got promoted too quickly. Just because someone has been there for 10 years doesn't mean they're good. These people need to be evaluated, and either coached by someone who knows what they are doing, or asked to leave. Perhaps more hiring for high level positions from the outside needs to be done to fill the gaps and add experienced management to the mix.

The culture is best described in one word - competitive (and not in a good way). In almost every team, instead of working together, people fight to show that they are the best. If you do try to work with others, someone will use it as an opportunity to take advantage of you. If Strata employees could learn to work together, they could fix a lot of the cultural issues they are having.

Driving the competitive atmosphere is management's obsession with telling everyone constantly how great the company is. "#1 in our market! Top 500 places to work in healthcare!" they say. Hate to break it to you Strata, but the only reason you're in the position you are is because you have a monopoly right now. If another company deigned to enter your territory, they could easily wipe you out. Be more humble.

Again, as other reviewers have already mentioned, CEO needs to focus on fixing the management team. Hard decisions need to be made. Consequences for poor outcomes needs to be more than just a slap on the wrist. Then work on fixing the culture.

Overworked, Under-Appreciated and Underpaid

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Good experience learning the in's and out's of a SaaS company. Also, through the immense cloud of mediocrity, there are a few extremely bright and talented individuals. I built a great relationship with many of my colleagues and they are the sole reason for me maintaining some semblance of sanity.

Cons

Upper management (excluding CEO/CFO) has been with the company since it's inception and has zero experience outside of Strata. Furthermore, they are extremely overpaid and will never leave as a result. They refuse to take ownership or responsibility for anything unless it is advantageous to themselves (often after one of their employees did all the work), and they refuse to acknowledge their star employees. The culture once had a startup feel, but now stifles innovation and puts extreme demands on working hours. However, the biggest problem by far is the product itself - StrataJazz. The development is shoddy, the data integrity and security is non-existent, there is no QA and every release causes more problems than it solves (ironically, they used to name their releases after bugs). Overall, the foundation of the company is a bucket of water, waiting to be tipped over at any moment.

Leave. You are the ceiling for this company, and until you get out of the way, the company cannot move forward. If you can change, then realize there are and always will be people that are smarter than you - enable these people to help the company and empower them to make the changes that you are unable to conceive yourself.

Opportunity and Challenges

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Opportunity to grow into different roles
    Smart hard-working coworkers
    The company is poised to make some major progress if they can iron out some kinks

Cons

Pay was adequate but getting tighter under new owners
    Personal relationships trumped work quality for many teams
    Changes happening probably slower than they should
    Poor work-life balance in consulting positions

Keep it up with the recent changes, I think Strata is becoming a better place to work

Awful

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

There are really no PROs to working here that you can't get working anywhere else.

Cons

Bad Company overall, staff very junior and inexperienced
    Office Politics

Don't put fake posts up pretending you are an employee working there just to pretend that everyone loves the company. It is very obvious when you do.

Energetic, devoted, and hard-working employees make it a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Very strong sense of camaradarie
    Flexible work hours and work-from-home options
    One day off per year to do volunteer work
    "StrataCares" program encourages donations of time, energy and money to charitable causes
    Diverse workforce

Cons

Could do better at providing opportunities for formal training

Keep doing what you're doing

Great place to be - growth opportunities are endless if you seek them out!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

I have had a great experience with the company thus far. I really value the openness of the company and the fact that I have direct access to management and exec level staff at all times. I have great relationships with staff at all levels, which is something to be desired in a company. The company is very transparent and is not afraid to share with the staff the direction, goals, vision, and roadblocks of the company.
    The company possesses a very strong team-oriented environment, which helps an employee feel as though they are a valued member of the group and one can see their contributions at play.
    The age of the employees is relatively young, but there is room for advancement and quick career progression if that is what the employee is seeking. I, personally, value the fact that I am heard by my managers and exec staff and they take my ideas/concerns seriously. They also take my ideas and desires for my career path seriously and help me work toward my goals.
    The CEO has a contagious pride for the company and products, which keeps the employees engaged with the company and atune with the shared vision.

Cons

It can be a bit overwhelming at times when a lot of work needs to be completed - which is how it is at most companies. But, your colleagues and management are always available to step in and lend an assist when need be.

Keep the transparency of the company for employees; it really helps us see what is going on with the company and allows us to feel we are on the same team. This has been great.

High Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Flexiblity with schedule as there isn't really any management, overview.
    Young, fun co-workers.

Cons

There is absolutely zero leadership, organization, job growth, empowerment here. A lot of the employees stay here because 1) they are foreign and Strata pays for them to continue to have their work visa after they graduate from college, not a lot of employers do this 2) it is their first job out of college and they don't know any better.

There is a lot of gossip and office drama here as well. I saw massive turnover in the very short time I was here. Do yourself a favor and walk away from this mess.

Take a step back and figure out some team organization and look closer at the employee-employee relationships as there are many people in there that need to be let go.

Strata Decision Technology Response

Mar 22, 2013Director

As an employee who has been with the company for 9 years, I can say that the comments made in this post are are not a true relection of where the company is today. Employee turnover is at an all ... More

Worked for Strata Decision Technology? Contribute to the Community!