Storm8 Reviews

Updated 1 September, 2014
Updated 1 September, 2014
4.3

Perry Tam

Great perks, weak development strategy

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros

The work life balance is really great. Flex hours are truly flexible, and there is rarely any crunch. Lots of perks, like meals and events. Lots of talented people on staff.

Cons

Product Managers and Executives have little to no game experience, so the company's primary strategy is to company games that have already proven successful. No drive towards innovation.

Hire product leads who actually know how games work.

Promotes growth and cultivates continuous learning!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time

Pros

- We have an extremely high hiring bar, which has produced an amazing and talented group of employees.
    - Everyone is super passionate about the company and what they are working on.
    - The perks are phenomenal - including snack walls, game rooms, catered lunch and dinner, awesome parties and group activities, 100% company-paid medical benefits, and the list goes on!
    - The leadership team is extremely approachable and open to new ideas
    - The company sold me when I found out I can bring my dog to work - score! :)

Cons

- The leadership team can continue to work on becoming more transparent with sharing company goals and upcoming projects with the whole company.
    - The work hours can be long during tight deadlines.

- Continue to make the happiness and wellness of your employees your top priority.
    - Solicit and listen to feedback, and implement changes were applicable.

Nice people: terrible games and hours

I worked at Storm8

Pros

-team mates are friendly when they're not complaining about how much they hate their job
    -management was friendly and go out of their way to talk to staff.
    -lunches and dinners are free
    -lots of snacks
    -dog friendly. Maybe not a pro for everyone but I like dogs. There will be pets in the office.
    -relatively high pay and good bonuses

Cons

-everyone is ridiculously excited about work and love the company with zealous loyalty. These same people complain how much they hate their job or don't get any sleep once they're off company grounds.
    - all the games are blatant rip offs yet staff and management pretend that you're innovating.
    -you're encouraged to stay up all night to make great games at a hackathon but it'll never be adopted as a project.
    -broken pipeline. People would sneak past my manager to ask me to work on projects for them. And would express that there was no reason to speak to manager.
    -racism: one (blond) producer literally stated there couldn't be people of color in a game as they weren't pretty enough.
    -when expressing fatigue at multiple 9-10 hour workdays team mates expressed I wasn't working hard enough. (It wasn't crunch time.)
    - The choices in outsourcing are clearly lowest bidder and their work is abysmal at best. If outsourcing isn't qualified you're expected to pick up their slack.
    -after working on a project there was an engineering mistake that could quickly be fixed to improve visuals. The producer informed me "no one really cares so why should we change it!"
    -everything is bottom lined about a drive for money to the point games are purposely designed to be unplayable to common people. There are great FTP games that still monitize yet storm8 doesn't care at all if a game will ever be remembered.
    -I got exactly 0 portfolio pieces from working at this company. I felt too drained at the end of the day to continue work.

INNOVATE!!!! You have a great team so why not use them?

Listen to everyone. There were many great ideas that were always ignored because those people were lower on the totem pole.

Hire outsourcing and contractors who care about the games rather than lowest bidder.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, but you won't innovate - ever

Current Employee - Game Designer  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Excellent culture. Employees across all disciplines care a great deal about their work and gaming in general, and (almost) everyone in the company is competent. In addition, the workplace is extremely professional and welcoming to men and women alike, which is not guaranteed in the game industry.
    -High creative control, to a point. Teams are small, so you will often be THE game designer or engineer working on a feature - or sometimes an entire product. You won't control the project you're working on, but the details of the project are well within your control.
    -Results matter, not time spent in the office. There's no need to work X many hours a week if you can get your work done. 40 hour workweeks with occasional crunch days are common throughout the company, although engineers typically work 50+ hours a week. I've worked 16 hour days as well as 2 hour days, depending on what I need to get done.
    -Pay is competitive for the Bay Area, and the company is willing to promote frequently (but see Cons below). You're hired for the company - you will not be laid off at the end of your project.

Cons

-Storm8 does not believe in taking market risks. All decisions about which projects to create come from the founders and are entirely based upon what games are already successful. You will be told what game you're cloning and that will be that. Nobody will listen to your pitches, so don't bother making any.
    -In order to receive a promotion, you must be doing the work of the position you hope to be promoted for. Want to be a lead designer? Then you should expect to manage 3-4 people for 6-9 months before you'll officially be promoted to "lead".

Learn how to manage employees! The entire management team of Storm8 has been promoted from within. All of them are experts in their professions and skilled at managing projects, but none of them has any experience managing employees and it shows.

May 06, 2014People Team

Thanks for your candor! This kind of feedback will allow the Storm8 people team to develop programs that would help Stormies grow into their roles better. We'll look into it further!

Refreshing to work with a super passionate and talented team

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are super friendly, super smart and very passionate about what they do. Everyday is different. Lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Benefits are great too -- free food, 100% health coverage for dependents, which is amazing. Really great trajectory for the company.

Cons

Too many snack options can be a challenge if you want to stay fit! Luckily, we have free gym membership :P

Stay accessible as we continue our super fast growth!

May 06, 2014People Team

We're glad that you share the same excitement about working at Storm8 as we do! Definitely struggling with how much food we get around here, too! :)

Great work environment with awesome people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Storm8 is an awesome place to work. People are always given opportunities to expand their skills and grow with the company. A passion for quality work is balanced with a fun, friendly atmosphere. Even with 200 people, Storm8 has a great sense of community, fostered by communal meals, company outings and parties, and lots of game rooms.

Cons

At the end of the day, Storm8 is focused on profit. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - everyone needs to get paid (and those free catered meals won't pay for themselves). But it can sometimes stifle creativity, and lead to decisions based on the bottom line, not based on making best-in-class products.

More hackathons! More opportunities to develop and nurture original ideas. Small, dedicated teams that come up with original ideas and pitch them to the company every month.

May 06, 2014People Team

We definitely would love to host more Hackathons so that our teams can share more original ideas internally. We appreciate your excitement!

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Storm8 has been one of the best companies I've worked at. The people are extremely friendly and talented with great ideas. The culture is wonderful and it's the only place where I can proudly say where I am happy to come in to work everyday. Another plus? You can bring your dog to work!

Cons

Could get competitive and you don't get any type of pay raise unless you get a title bump, which can be difficult with either a bad manager or having a social life.

Take more risks when it comes to innovation and originality. Also, managers should strive to be better connected to their team and work more to help their team build upon their ideas instead of just telling them what to do.

Awesome place to work and play~

Current Employee - UI Designer  in  Redwood Shores, CA (US)
    Current Employee - UI Designer in Redwood Shores, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone I've worked with has been awesome and good at what they do (a lot of them are now straight-up friends, not work buddies) - either easy to learn from or easy to teach. Catered lunch and dinner, snacks, full benefits and mostly laid-back work environment.

Cons

It's starting to get a bit more corporate with the addition of HR, but that's expected once a company gets as large as we are now. Every so often we have crunch time, but the flexible hours during every other non-crunch time more than make up for it.

Keep up the great work! You've bottled awesomeness, somehow.

Engineering at Storm8

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning experience. Went in there without any prior mobile app development experience. After a few time and some projects later you really do learn a lot. A lot of room to grow for a capable and willing engineer. A lot of really brilliant engineers to work with. Everyone is great!

Cons

Sometimes not much choice on which project and team you end up in.

annual salary raise would be nice

Great work culture

Current Employee - UI Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - UI Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Storm8 full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers from all departments are extremely talented and hard-working, which equals great products.

Founders pushing for best-in-class products makes me proud to work here, because that aligns with my own goals.

Strong technical leadership who also understand product.

Freedom to make meaningful product and engineering-related decisions.

Company is taking more risks this year than last year.

Great work-life balance.

Little to no politics compared to other companies, and no dividers. People are genuinely friendly.

Cons

Some employees have complained about the commute.

As the company grows in headcount, keep an eye out for politics and shut it down ASAP.

Worked for Storm8? Contribute to the Community!