Steven Madden

Updated 2 December, 2014
3.1

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun activities and great discount and free shoes (in 11 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• sales associates can only work part time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not somewhere to stick around for the long run

Former Employee - Member of Management Team in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Member of Management Team in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time

Pros

This was a great stepping stone, they give the management staff free reign creatively and it pays off when the stores do well. The commision rate earned by management and full time employees was good considering the price of the product.
    The co-workers for the most part were great we all got along very well and enjoyed working together. They tend to hire people who are sales driven and the environment in the stores reflects that.
    For a company that still has leaps and bounds to go it helps that the customer's are great, very passionate about the product and from a commission standpoint the product sells itself!

Cons

The pay was well below market value given that this is a globally recognized fashion brand. The company is owned and operated in Canada by people who have no real sense of today's retail market who really need to get with the times. They are unable to keep good staff because they are not willing to compensate talent accordingly - undervalued employees and gossiping is something you will find in every single store location.
    When I was hired here I trained myself and used what I had learned from previous companies I had worked for to make sure I was successful given the limited training that was provided to me.
    There was no growth above being a Store Manager no matter what positions they said they would "create" - it was evident because the "district supervisor" was not actually fully integrated into the role, having to manage new store openings and work 12 hour days to keep the stores in the GTA from "falling apart" because they didn't seem to trust the employees that were there.
    The supervisor for the GTA was completely overwhelmed by the pressure put on them from upper management (head office) to the point where they regularly had nervous breakdown's and crying fits in the stores. This individual is under qualified and far too emotionally involved in their role making them difficult to approach and impossible to respect.
    They lack in proper HR practices in relation to how they screen potential candidates and why they choose to let people go.

As mentioned above, upper management (eg. Director of Retail & CEO) need to get with the times. They need to appreciate the talent that they have in the stores and value their skills not only from a development and advancement standpoint, but with financial compensation (throwing free shoes at people does not pay the bills) .
    INVEST IN PEOPLE - take the risk instead of treating all of your employees like they can be replaced without a care, it would create better moral in your stores and would guarantee to boost revenue.
    Fire or demote the GTA supervisor, they are a ticking time bomb - and it doesn't represent the brand well.

Canadian owned Steve Madden

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small Canadian company that is growing everyday. I was there when they opened their Don Mills location, and it was fun everyday I was there. The people were dedicated, passionate, and happy to be there. It was a pleasure working for them.

Cons

Since it is a small company their is less parameters and some things much be figured out on the fly. Which makes the job more challenging. But I personally like to be challenged, it keeps you on your toes!

N/A

Internship

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern

Pros

Paid, hands-on, free shoes, friendly staff, free breakfast Friday's

Cons

Can't choose department to intern in

5+ years and counting... great company and benefits

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

growth within position, department, company; great benefits with minimal personal contribution; family atmosphere; free breakfast on Friday's, monthly birthday cakes for employees, no dress code, samples sales, company party to include employees kids, company holiday party & summer gathering; very philanthropic company; personal shipments can be made using company discount (individual pays but at great savings)

Cons

people focus on negative instead of the positive
    no respect for chain of command/policies being implemented
    cons are challeges to improve upon your current situation

allowing time off to be carried over
    be more visable to all employees
    do 360 reviews to allow for conversation of what needs changing

Good time!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours and great sfaff. Very competitive, managers treat every one equal and help out associates. Busy mall is easy to make money. Fun activities and great discount and free shoes

Cons

Stay open until late, they dont pay overtime, a lot of work poor pay. They don't allow to have days off on december. besides the low pay really low comission only 1 percent

Pay more to your employees

Fun times.

Former Employee - Merchandising Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great manager, good people, employees are treated like family.

Cons

Not a whole lot of advancement within the company, not a lot in terms of technological advances. Up to employees to look for areas for growth.

Provide mentorship to your younger employees - cultivate their growth.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Receptionist Executive Assistant in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Receptionist Executive Assistant in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (less than an year)

Pros

personal growth and experience to move forward in a better position

Cons

training and management, the way new employees are treated almost like they are bullied

when conversation are had with human resource it needs to be handled accordingly

Internship

Former Employee - Intern in Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most amazing internship. The internship was about 8 weeks long, 9am - 6pm (long hours but I was busy the whole time). I was not just given "busy work" - was able to contribute to the team I worked with. Very friendly and helpful co-workers.

Cons

Corporate office is located in Long Island City, Queens - so the commute was a little rough.

Great customer service experience which provided me with experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ease of selling such a strong brand, bonus's for managers who ran successful store and the employee discount we all pros. There was also a great connection with corporate decision makers in the New York office.

Cons

The time off policy would effect you social life since there were very strict restrictions about working on weekends and during the peak holiday season. The company also required there associates to perform their own store inventories.

Consider more opportunities for leadership outside of working the store. I know there are limits since the corporate offices are in New York but there are ways of expanding such as account reps who deal with department store in select regions, more trainers within your districts and encouragement for managers to relocate to the corporate office.

very satisfied

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

Company is on the move

Cons

Company is growing very fast