Steven Madden

Updated 14 January, 2015
3.2

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun activities and great discount and free shoes (in 11 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• sales associates can only work part time (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not somewhere to stick around for the long run

Former Employee - Member of Management Team in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Member of Management Team in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time

Pros

This was a great stepping stone, they give the management staff free reign creatively and it pays off when the stores do well. The commision rate earned by management and full time employees was good considering the price of the product.
    The co-workers for the most part were great we all got along very well and enjoyed working together. They tend to hire people who are sales driven and the environment in the stores reflects that.
    For a company that still has leaps and bounds to go it helps that the customer's are great, very passionate about the product and from a commission standpoint the product sells itself!

Cons

The pay was well below market value given that this is a globally recognized fashion brand. The company is owned and operated in Canada by people who have no real sense of today's retail market who really need to get with the times. They are unable to keep good staff because they are not willing to compensate talent accordingly - undervalued employees and gossiping is something you will find in every single store location.
    When I was hired here I trained myself and used what I had learned from previous companies I had worked for to make sure I was successful given the limited training that was provided to me.
    There was no growth above being a Store Manager no matter what positions they said they would "create" - it was evident because the "district supervisor" was not actually fully integrated into the role, having to manage new store openings and work 12 hour days to keep the stores in the GTA from "falling apart" because they didn't seem to trust the employees that were there.
    The supervisor for the GTA was completely overwhelmed by the pressure put on them from upper management (head office) to the point where they regularly had nervous breakdown's and crying fits in the stores. This individual is under qualified and far too emotionally involved in their role making them difficult to approach and impossible to respect.
    They lack in proper HR practices in relation to how they screen potential candidates and why they choose to let people go.

As mentioned above, upper management (eg. Director of Retail & CEO) need to get with the times. They need to appreciate the talent that they have in the stores and value their skills not only from a development and advancement standpoint, but with financial compensation (throwing free shoes at people does not pay the bills) .
    INVEST IN PEOPLE - take the risk instead of treating all of your employees like they can be replaced without a care, it would create better moral in your stores and would guarantee to boost revenue.
    Fire or demote the GTA supervisor, they are a ticking time bomb - and it doesn't represent the brand well.

Canadian owned Steve Madden

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small Canadian company that is growing everyday. I was there when they opened their Don Mills location, and it was fun everyday I was there. The people were dedicated, passionate, and happy to be there. It was a pleasure working for them.

Cons

Since it is a small company their is less parameters and some things much be figured out on the fly. Which makes the job more challenging. But I personally like to be challenged, it keeps you on your toes!

N/A

Former Employee

I worked at Steven Madden

Pros

Time off policy is pretty good, you get to attend trade shows , great discounts a few perks hear and there

Cons

you can never take off or call out end month , end of quarter . no summer hours raises are very small .
    upper management needs to appreciate their employees better and not take favorites .

My team was great, however the company doesn't care about their people. Especially in lower volume stores.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, dress code, free shoe twice a year

Cons

Pay, no raises, horrible communication and no room for growth.

My district lost some really talented people in 2014. You offer absolutely nothing to keep people there. You want people to bust their butts selling your product but offer no worthy incentives. Guess what, running one contest throughout the company is not a motivator for most. Especially when you're going up against stores in NYC and Miami whom gross significantly more.

Give your deserving people raises, stop making Saturdays mandatory for management and change the music more often.

Internship

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern

Pros

Paid, hands-on, free shoes, friendly staff, free breakfast Friday's

Cons

Can't choose department to intern in

Made some great connections, but there are better places to work

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, colleagues, benefits, healthy wealthy company

Cons

Corporate upper management needs to be trained or simply replaced, too much favoritism, no loyalty or gratitude expressed to employees who are talented and work overtime. Different set of “rules” for different divisions.

Don’t take sides, have meetings, appreciate your team and what they do for you and recognize all the hard work that makes the company money

Good time!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours and great sfaff. Very competitive, managers treat every one equal and help out associates. Busy mall is easy to make money. Fun activities and great discount and free shoes

Cons

Stay open until late, they dont pay overtime, a lot of work poor pay. They don't allow to have days off on december. besides the low pay really low comission only 1 percent

Pay more to your employees

Fun times.

Former Employee - Merchandising Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandising Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Steven Madden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great manager, good people, employees are treated like family.

Cons

Not a whole lot of advancement within the company, not a lot in terms of technological advances. Up to employees to look for areas for growth.

Provide mentorship to your younger employees - cultivate their growth.

5+ years and counting... great company and benefits

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

growth within position, department, company; great benefits with minimal personal contribution; family atmosphere; free breakfast on Friday's, monthly birthday cakes for employees, no dress code, samples sales, company party to include employees kids, company holiday party & summer gathering; very philanthropic company; personal shipments can be made using company discount (individual pays but at great savings)

Cons

people focus on negative instead of the positive
    no respect for chain of command/policies being implemented
    cons are challeges to improve upon your current situation

allowing time off to be carried over
    be more visable to all employees
    do 360 reviews to allow for conversation of what needs changing