Steven Madden

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld

Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests, (in 8 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to get raise, not always best upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not somewhere to stick around for the long run

Member of Management Team (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThis was a great stepping stone, they give the management staff free reign creatively and it pays off when the stores do well. The commision rate earned by management and full time employees was good considering the price of the product.
    The co-workers for the most part were great we all got along very well and enjoyed working together. They tend to hire people who are sales driven and the environment in the stores reflects that.
    For a company that still has leaps and bounds to go it helps that the customer's are great, very passionate about the product and from a commission standpoint the product sells itself!

ConsThe pay was well below market value given that this is a globally recognized fashion brand. The company is owned and operated in Canada by people who have no real sense of today's retail market who really need to get with the times. They are unable to keep good staff because they are not willing to compensate talent accordingly - undervalued employees and gossiping is something you will find in every single store location.
    When I was hired here I trained myself and used what I had learned from previous companies I had worked for to make sure I was successful given the limited training that was provided to me.
    There was no growth above being a Store Manager no matter what positions they said they would "create" - it was evident because the "district supervisor" was not actually fully integrated into the role, having to manage new store openings and work 12 hour days to keep the stores in the GTA from "falling apart" because they didn't seem to trust the employees that were there.
    The supervisor for the GTA was completely overwhelmed by the pressure put on them from upper management (head office) to the point where they regularly had nervous breakdown's and crying fits in the stores. This individual is under qualified and far too emotionally involved in their role making them difficult to approach and impossible to respect.
    They lack in proper HR practices in relation to how they screen potential candidates and why they choose to let people go.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs mentioned above, upper management (eg. Director of Retail & CEO) need to get with the times. They need to appreciate the talent that they have in the stores and value their skills not only from a development and advancement standpoint, but with financial compensation (throwing free shoes at people does not pay the bills) .
    INVEST IN PEOPLE - take the risk instead of treating all of your employees like they can be replaced without a care, it would create better moral in your stores and would guarantee to boost revenue.
    Fire or demote the GTA supervisor, they are a ticking time bomb - and it doesn't represent the brand well.

Canadian owned Steve Madden

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSmall Canadian company that is growing everyday. I was there when they opened their Don Mills location, and it was fun everyday I was there. The people were dedicated, passionate, and happy to be there. It was a pleasure working for them.

ConsSince it is a small company their is less parameters and some things much be figured out on the fly. Which makes the job more challenging. But I personally like to be challenged, it keeps you on your toes!

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

intern

ProsGreat company and willing to help you succeed.

ConsNo cons I love this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need better management !

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGREAT DISCOUNTS! 50% OFF , 65% OFF DURING CHRISTMAS, AND FREE 75$ GIFT CARD FOR CHRISTMAS, LETS NOT FORGET "MADDEN MONEY!"

ConsI worked in the NYC SM for 2.5 years. I always met sales goal, never called out, never late. One of the Managers because I wasn't his "favorite" he never used to give me more than 14.5 hrs. (happened with alot of my other coworkers) he then would hire other Sale Associates and give them Full Time instead of giving anyone else who been in the company for longer. No room for growth what so ever unless you one of the management favorite… BTW Min wage plus commission if you don't sale.. you then would have a horrible check!

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP FAVORITISM !

Colorado owned Steve Madden Independent

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to fashion trends and great boot styles. Access to store management technique and overall great experience in a small locally owned company. You will learn a lot about sales psychology and marketing techniques. You will learn how to deal with difficult personalities.

ConsAwful management. The owner is not someone worth working for. Terrible attitude. Hides behind the facet of "helping his employees with anything they need." Constantly puts employees in tears with brutal management style. Extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Extremely high turn over rate. Few last longer than 6 months. Long hours, sometimes 12-13 hour shifts @ $8 an hour, %5 commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage professionally and appropriately and perhaps you won't have such a high turn over rate. Make people want to be there instead of hating their jobs. Try a less brutal/abrasive approach to teaching your employees how you want them to perform. No one likes working for a tyrant.

1st job..

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosgood training on product knowledge

Conssales associates can only work part time
    very limited growth within the company
    unprofessional

Advice to Senior Managementthe company could benefit to have better work-life balance.

Enjoyable experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsFast-paced, fun, great merchandise, company values, great staff

ConsNot too much room for promotions when in school, also hard to balance both.

I have enjoyed it. Very flexiable

ProsFlexible hours, small company so you learn a lot

ConsSmall company so there is not that much room for groth

Horrible corporate company to work for if you are at all a creative individual.

Associate Designer (Former Employee) Sunnyside, NY (US)

ProsHealth care coverage? Free breakfast on Fridays...

ConsThe entire environment is awful. Very unhealthy and unhappy. Horrible communication from higher management, unorganized, and everyone who works there couldn't care less about the actual work they do. Very uninspiring place as a designer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you care about them. Encourage their creativity. Make your offices feel less like a graveyard.

Good but needs changes

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsPeople are great, sample sales, you can wear whatever you want to work, always busy, has a parking lot for employees, decent discount

ConsYou can't leave until it's 6:00 on the dot even if your department is done for the day, no summer hours either. Not a lot of vacation days when you first start and everyone is afraid to stand up to sr management and let employees leave early before holidays. Long hours during shoe shows and no recognition for hard work and dedication No paid maternity leave for an almost all female company

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk the people who work for you what changes they want to see and act on them. All other companies have summer hours or shortened days. Don't let employees be afraid to take a full lunch break or day off reward employees for a good job and walk around the building more to say hello and know who is working for you. Have a BBQ or company gathering to bring employees together

Worked for Steven Madden? Contribute to the Community!