Steven Madden

Updated 9 September, 2014
3.1

Steven Madden CEO Ed Rosenfeld
Ed Rosenfeld

Pros
  • Fun, great associates, great discount, free shoes, store contests, (in 8 reviews)

• amazing people, fun job, and you get free shoes periodically (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • high turnover, underpay, stock room set up, pressure on numbers, little appreciation shown for hard work, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Hard to get raise, not always best upper management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not somewhere to stick around for the long run

Former Employee - Member of Management Team  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Member of Management Team in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time

Pros

This was a great stepping stone, they give the management staff free reign creatively and it pays off when the stores do well. The commision rate earned by management and full time employees was good considering the price of the product.
    The co-workers for the most part were great we all got along very well and enjoyed working together. They tend to hire people who are sales driven and the environment in the stores reflects that.
    For a company that still has leaps and bounds to go it helps that the customer's are great, very passionate about the product and from a commission standpoint the product sells itself!

Cons

The pay was well below market value given that this is a globally recognized fashion brand. The company is owned and operated in Canada by people who have no real sense of today's retail market who really need to get with the times. They are unable to keep good staff because they are not willing to compensate talent accordingly - undervalued employees and gossiping is something you will find in every single store location.
    When I was hired here I trained myself and used what I had learned from previous companies I had worked for to make sure I was successful given the limited training that was provided to me.
    There was no growth above being a Store Manager no matter what positions they said they would "create" - it was evident because the "district supervisor" was not actually fully integrated into the role, having to manage new store openings and work 12 hour days to keep the stores in the GTA from "falling apart" because they didn't seem to trust the employees that were there.
    The supervisor for the GTA was completely overwhelmed by the pressure put on them from upper management (head office) to the point where they regularly had nervous breakdown's and crying fits in the stores. This individual is under qualified and far too emotionally involved in their role making them difficult to approach and impossible to respect.
    They lack in proper HR practices in relation to how they screen potential candidates and why they choose to let people go.

As mentioned above, upper management (eg. Director of Retail & CEO) need to get with the times. They need to appreciate the talent that they have in the stores and value their skills not only from a development and advancement standpoint, but with financial compensation (throwing free shoes at people does not pay the bills) .
    INVEST IN PEOPLE - take the risk instead of treating all of your employees like they can be replaced without a care, it would create better moral in your stores and would guarantee to boost revenue.
    Fire or demote the GTA supervisor, they are a ticking time bomb - and it doesn't represent the brand well.

Canadian owned Steve Madden

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at Steven Madden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small Canadian company that is growing everyday. I was there when they opened their Don Mills location, and it was fun everyday I was there. The people were dedicated, passionate, and happy to be there. It was a pleasure working for them.

Cons

Since it is a small company their is less parameters and some things much be figured out on the fly. Which makes the job more challenging. But I personally like to be challenged, it keeps you on your toes!

N/A

Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Long Island City, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Long Island City, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Most amazing internship. The internship was about 8 weeks long, 9am - 6pm (long hours but I was busy the whole time). I was not just given "busy work" - was able to contribute to the team I worked with. Very friendly and helpful co-workers.

Cons

Corporate office is located in Long Island City, Queens - so the commute was a little rough.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great customer service experience which provided me with experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The ease of selling such a strong brand, bonus's for managers who ran successful store and the employee discount we all pros. There was also a great connection with corporate decision makers in the New York office.

Cons

The time off policy would effect you social life since there were very strict restrictions about working on weekends and during the peak holiday season. The company also required there associates to perform their own store inventories.

Consider more opportunities for leadership outside of working the store. I know there are limits since the corporate offices are in New York but there are ways of expanding such as account reps who deal with department store in select regions, more trainers within your districts and encouragement for managers to relocate to the corporate office.

very satisfied

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

Company is on the move

Cons

Company is growing very fast

LIC Corp Office

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator  in  Long Island City, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Long Island City, NY (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free breakfast on Friday! Salary positions, learn a lot, meet a lot of ppl, get to work in the city for shoe shows and get to travel out of town to ATL, Vegas, and Chicago sometime

Cons

Micromanaged, work overload, not enough pay, no place to grow, very cliquish, must kiss up to get promoted, a lot of false promises

Create a development plan, pay more money

Need better management !

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Steven Madden part-time for more than a year

Pros

GREAT DISCOUNTS! 50% OFF , 65% OFF DURING CHRISTMAS, AND FREE 75$ GIFT CARD FOR CHRISTMAS, LETS NOT FORGET "MADDEN MONEY!"

Cons

I worked in the NYC SM for 2.5 years. I always met sales goal, never called out, never late. One of the Managers because I wasn't his "favorite" he never used to give me more than 14.5 hrs. (happened with alot of my other coworkers) he then would hire other Sale Associates and give them Full Time instead of giving anyone else who been in the company for longer. No room for growth what so ever unless you one of the management favorite… BTW Min wage plus commission if you don't sale.. you then would have a horrible check!

STOP FAVORITISM !

intern

I have been working at Steven Madden

Pros

Great company and willing to help you succeed.

Cons

No cons I love this company

Colorado owned Steve Madden Independent

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Steven Madden full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to fashion trends and great boot styles. Access to store management technique and overall great experience in a small locally owned company. You will learn a lot about sales psychology and marketing techniques. You will learn how to deal with difficult personalities.

Cons

Awful management. The owner is not someone worth working for. Terrible attitude. Hides behind the facet of "helping his employees with anything they need." Constantly puts employees in tears with brutal management style. Extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Extremely high turn over rate. Few last longer than 6 months. Long hours, sometimes 12-13 hour shifts @ $8 an hour, %5 commission.

Learn how to manage professionally and appropriately and perhaps you won't have such a high turn over rate. Make people want to be there instead of hating their jobs. Try a less brutal/abrasive approach to teaching your employees how you want them to perform. No one likes working for a tyrant.

Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Steven Madden part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, fun, great merchandise, company values, great staff

Cons

Not too much room for promotions when in school, also hard to balance both.

Worked for Steven Madden? Contribute to the Community!