State of Arizona

www.az.gov

State of Arizona Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Pros
  • They have a good benefits and retirement programs (in 11 reviews)

• In the past the benefits and retirement plan were great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No incentive to perform as there is no possibility of a pay raise (in 2 reviews)

• The salary level is not always competitive with the private sector or other government units (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

TDM Facilitator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefit package and access to retirement planning. Multiple opportunities to advance if you choose to pursue them.

ConsNoncompetitive salary levels and very few raises. Frequent salary and hiring freezes. Inability and/or unwillingness of management to dismiss nonproductive or counterproductive employees from positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the people who do not want to be there or who are not able to competently do the job as it should be done.

Good people, less than market salaries

Various Management (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGood health and dental benefits, good sick and vacation leave time accumulation.

ConsDealing with customers that think "they" pay your salary, like we as taxpayers don't contribute to our own salaries. Having to work for the latest political hack, or appointee who is given position of management, without qualifications necessary to perform job effectively. Having to deal with the hidden agendas of Legislators, who are only thinking of getting reelected, not the best outcome for the State.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember, this is supposed to be representation of the "people", not just special interests groups that fatten your wallets and campaign coffers. Make managers more personally responsible for their actions, quit hiding behind the shield of government immunity.

Office chief

Office Chief (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsPension, health benefits, and the ability to impact the state in a positive way.

ConsPolitics, low salaries, poor management, lack of professionalism, lack of integrity, poor growth opportunities, reorganizations every 6 months for 7 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more management training. Develop internal talent. Establish high expectations for professionalism.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Eligibility Interviewer

PSI Eligibility Interviewer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsSome of the bosses are fantastic, hard-working individuals who genuinely care to see you succeed. They offer retirement, health insurance, dental insurance, as well as life insurance. They offer training. My coworkers are hard-working and easy to get along with. It is a rather large facility, and everyone appears to be professional and get along well.

ConsOne of the bosses is a bully boss and she gets away with it. The pay is low. The training does not cover very much on what we go through once we hit the floor. They change their minds all the time on how they want their work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management-stop treating your staff like they are children. Appreciate all of your staff instead of just a select few. Do not be condescending toward staff. Pay the staff! You like the staff to offer donations to causes, but you don't pay the staff enough to live on.

Records Coordinator

Records Coordinator (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsFlexible hours, great co-workers, work is interesting in the interim while searching for a more challenging position.

ConsManagement creates "problems" to fix and then make position more difficult with changes they implement based on their own non-experience. Frustrating as the tools that work are taken away. Almost as if they are creating work for themselves in order to look busy.

Salary is not competitive, there isn't any advancement and no incentives to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training in order to understand the support staff positions.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Opportunity to make a difference

Medical Social Worker (Current Employee)

Prosjob security, retirement benefits, good health insurance, Monday Holidays, ability to help people

Consstress, workload, not enough time to do the work, angry people, low salary, agency does always show how it values employees, high turnover

Difficult at best. Department of Corrections

Administrative Secretary II (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThey have a good benefits and retirement programs. No perks. Have worked for similar organization in New Mexico and was treated much better.

ConsTreatment of support staff is very poor. The Department of Corrections need to realize that without your support staff you have very little to recommend employees wanting to work for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your treatment of support staff and realize they also need to be treated with dignity and respect. Classes/training sessions for upper and lower management in supporting their support staff.

Job Security is better than nothing...

Secretarial (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsDiscounted group benefits, job stability and occasional changes for advancement.

ConsPolitics, drama, leaderless enviroment & institutionalism..

Advice to Senior ManagementWork it out!!! Without the drama.

DCSFS/CPS

Ongoing Case Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe schedule is flexible and co-workers are awesome. Insurance is also very good.

ConsThe hours, the emotional distress, the crying, being threatened by parents, having to essentially be on-call 24/7 and dropping things in your personal life if a crises pops up. Most everyone in this field is lazy and those that actually care about their job suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis whole system needs to be reworked and redone.

Quick way to learn the ins and outs of state gov

Page (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsLots of opportunities to learn the in and outs of the state leg process

Consyou realize hoe incompetent the people in charge are

Advice to Senior Managementhire from the outside

Worked for State of Arizona? Contribute to the Community!