State Street Reviews

2.7
1,281 Reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley
Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees (in 120 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach (in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, my experience at State Street is a pleasant one mainly because of the people that I work with

Current Employee - Fund Administrator, Associate I  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Fund Administrator, Associate I in Toronto, ON

I have been working at State Street part-time for more than a year

Pros

Education assistance reimbursement, laid back managers, a decent place to jump start your career as a fresh graduate.

Cons

Should hire managers that knows how to motivate employees and are competent with their jobs, menial jobs are common within the company, especially those repetitive operational jobs. Compensation should be competitive to help retain talent.

Eliminate tasks that are redundant through creative alternatives on getting the job done. Invest on your employees through competitive compensation. Invest on IT and improvement on day-to-day operations.

Survivor has got nothing on State Street!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work life balance, flex time

Cons

constant restructuring and layoffs, great talent that challenges the status quo is moved out, officer positions and above you will find 90% are all lifers, with over 20 years with the company, if you don't conform and conform fast enough or seen as a threat with your innovative ideas, you won't get fired, but you will most certainly get laid off, if you are looking for a short term get experience job, this is it, for longer term, you be lucky ... but sooner rather than later the tribe will have spoken and you will have to leave the island

get out and allow movement from the younger and more dynamic talent to move up, sick and tired of your constant lean initiatives and restructuring only to change it back and hire the position you just fired, ridiculous, its companies like you that manage it the way you do, that require new govt legislation to protect the rights of employees

IF YOU BOTHER - start working on getting out right away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits especially dental, company pays 6% into your pension if you are f/t

Cons

Management (Rats) corrupted, micro- managed,
    DO NOT BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD - they are pure snakes.
    They bring on only their own ... they pretend... they lie....
    You are either under them or against them.... If I was senior VP,
    I'd fire all of them.

No advice - you have crossed all boundaries ...
    You will be let go eventually and disrespected by your own bosses....
    This place is very toxic.......

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good, but theres better

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

very friendly staff depending on your team. excellent benefits, dental, pension, flex hours and work from home, pays for your courses, CFA included. sports reimbursement too.

Cons

low starting salary but made up for with the 1.5xOT hrs for anything over 40 a week, and 2xOT for anything over 50 assuming you dont mind doing the ot, but heck, if you get the work from home to do the OT, why not.

all depends on your manager. for the 2 years I worked there I have only met good managers that are really supportive with your career growth that gave good advices. Although there is high turnover, there are times when they were encouraged by the managers to apply for better roles.

Good job for fresh grads

Former Employee - Investment Accountant  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Investment Accountant in Toronto, ON

I worked at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a very good place to start your career as you get to learn and network with many other fresh grads.

If you are willing to stay and do your time, you will surely be promoted to senior roles within your team. Managers and peers are nice people and nice to work with. Management is approachable.

Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees.

Cons

Long hours coupled with low compensation = high turnover.

When I worked at State Street, overtime was a common occurrence which lead to a very bad work/life balance as the hours were already weird enough, starting at 10am and having the day end at 7pm (supposedly).

Good

I have been working at State Street as an intern

Pros

Good experience, working on direct industry statements. Excellent environment to work in.

Cons

Only offer summer intern positions. Year long positions would be nice.

A good start but there is better

Former Employee - Senior Client Service Officer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Client Service Officer in Toronto, ON

I worked at State Street full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice coworkers, easy job, 9 - 5, hard to get fired

Cons

no perks, lazy coworkers/management, low pay relative to industry

pay more

neutral

I have been working at State Street

Pros

The could be learning opportunity

Cons

The pay is well below market

Nice people, good culture, but boring work

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

good platform to enter the industry, nice culture and community activities

Cons

should re-shape the business strategy, big gaps between the sales force and teams who're doing the actual work

Work here if you want to lose faith in yourself

I have been working at State Street full-time

Pros

The only good thing about this company, is the benefits. Other than that, nothing.

Cons

Where to begin. IFS is worse than high school, if one manager doesn't like you, no manager in the company will - they will make sure of it. They delve into every part of your personal life and spread rumours just like teenage girls. They do not promote, when they do, it's nepotistic and favouritism that moves people up. They employ the most low-class and incompetent people to be managers. I can hardly understand my manager, and they've been in the country for decades! There is no transparency, you can be told you're doing well and then out of nowhere get a bad review. No matter how hard you work, it will go unnoticed, no matter how well you work, it will never be good enough. If you do go that extra mile, management doesn't want to know or hear about it. Come work here if you like to be micro-managed, reminded of your tasks on a constant basis, and be humiliated.

Stop micro-managing...if you don't trust the people working for you, fire them. Grow a spine and come to your own conclusions about employees; stop allowing the spineless and mentally deranged managers tell you what to think of your employees.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!