State Street

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.7 1,213 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 118 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

1,213 Employee Reviews

ok ok sfssdfsadok stastfsdfsdfasdfsdsdfst

Fund Accountant (Former Employee)

Prosmeet people, good entry level position

Conslong hours, repetitive work, lower pay

Legal Intern

Legal Intern (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosthe job allowed for alot of autonomy but very little direction and even less training, very little down time, unrealistic goals

Consvery repetitive work, never had proper training, very poorly managed, authoritative management style, and overall one of my worst working experiences

Advice to Senior Managementhave more fulfilling jobs, better training, improve culture

Trade Processor

Trade Processor (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFull benefits & great classes for self-improvement

ConsLow salary, very low raises, and little opportunity for advancing within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the company sucks but it's great place to start with

Derivatives Specialist (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Proseasy to find another job within the same industry

Conslong hr and low pay

Great learning platform for individuals seeking to acquire thorough understanding of the investment industry

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

Pros- Great learning ground
    - Potential to grow exponentially
    - Interaction with multiple facets of teh investment cycle

Cons- Large organization where things can move fairly slow from a hierarchical stanpoint

Worst place to work but great place to claim you work in finance

Pricing (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsRelaxed work environment, max 50 hours a week, hour lunches, benefits im told are good. Great place for people to claim they work in finance (it is not, it is mindless button pressing / mouse clicking in the back office with no need for intelligence and no client interaction - and the street knows this).

I will however say State Street is a global bank and their front office departments (Global Advisors, Global Markets) are highly regarded in the industry and provide great learning opportunities (and substantially higher pay).

ConsNo career advancement opportunities - advice to prospective employees is to not take the job to begin with. Advice to current employees is to get out as soon as you can. The longer you stay at back office, the longer you will stay in back office despite false optimism instilled by management that State Street will provide you with long term career development opportunities - moving within back office isn't career development.

Extremely low pay. Almost laughable given people 15-20 years older would make the same $ amount salary in their first jobs out of school - do the math - 3% inflation every year for 15 years...assuming a 40K base for those guys you'd need to be making 62K to "break-even"...not happening at State Street.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a VP or Senior VP in the back office does not add up to anything in high finance. Quit the power tripping - don't be bitter towards ambitious employees trying to move on to bigger and better things - create an environment that supports learning and encourage internships / rotations with front office departments to the extent possible.

Adequate Learning experience for beginners

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsComfortable and relaxed environment for beginners to develope themselves.

ConsLack proper vertical Communications sometimes

great place to start working

Accountant (Current Employee)

Prosit was a good place to start and good learning experience

Conslots of restructuring in the accounting department

Overworked, underpaid, incompetence rewarded if manager's favorite

Associate (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Proslearning opportunity, if you apply yourself you can move laterally or upwards, decent benefits, pension, vacation,

Consfew people are professional, majority need to go to business school and learn how to conduct themselves in an office, very political climate, consistent and persistent layoffs every 2 years, hire and fire or layoffs, working to know that any day you could be next, constant lean and restructuring going on, management can't make up its mind if they are expanding or reducing staff, pathetic

Advice to Senior Managementget some serious professional education in how to conduct business, this practice of hiring and laying off people like we were paper supply is disgusting.. it happened in 2003 and it continuously happens and no pay increase, longer hours, no bonuses, but the executive get their fat checks

no career path

Derivative Administrator (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosvery friendly coworkers that are willing to help and cooperative

Conshorrible training program, learning opportunities and no incentives

Advice to Senior Managementshow more sympathy to employees when they make mistakes.
    don't point fingers and blame people for things they have no control over.
    support employee's life long goals and not just prioritize the department or company's short-term financial goals because high turnover ultimately screws up the company's operations and increases costs.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!