State Street

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.7 1,213 reviews

State Street President and CEO Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Joseph (Jay) L. Hooley

Pros
  • Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees(in 118 reviews)

• Many employees can work from home a few days a week if their responsibilities allow them to(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is one of their "core tenets" but they don't practice what they preach(in 36 reviews)

• long hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you(in 47 reviews)

1,213 Employee Reviews

IF YOU BOTHER - start working on getting out right away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGood benefits especially dental, company pays 6% into your pension if you are f/t

ConsManagement (Rats) corrupted, micro- managed,
    DO NOT BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD - they are pure snakes.
    They bring on only their own ... they pretend... they lie....
    You are either under them or against them.... If I was senior VP,
    I'd fire all of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice - you have crossed all boundaries ...
    You will be let go eventually and disrespected by your own bosses....
    This place is very toxic.......

good, but theres better

Prosvery friendly staff depending on your team. excellent benefits, dental, pension, flex hours and work from home, pays for your courses, CFA included. sports reimbursement too.

Conslow starting salary but made up for with the 1.5xOT hrs for anything over 40 a week, and 2xOT for anything over 50 assuming you dont mind doing the ot, but heck, if you get the work from home to do the OT, why not.

Advice to Senior Managementall depends on your manager. for the 2 years I worked there I have only met good managers that are really supportive with your career growth that gave good advices. Although there is high turnover, there are times when they were encouraged by the managers to apply for better roles.

Good job for fresh grads

Investment Accountant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIt is a very good place to start your career as you get to learn and network with many other fresh grads.

If you are willing to stay and do your time, you will surely be promoted to senior roles within your team. Managers and peers are nice people and nice to work with. Management is approachable.

Company has good benefits and is looking to improve work/life balance for employees.

ConsLong hours coupled with low compensation = high turnover.

When I worked at State Street, overtime was a common occurrence which lead to a very bad work/life balance as the hours were already weird enough, starting at 10am and having the day end at 7pm (supposedly).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

ProsGood experience, working on direct industry statements. Excellent environment to work in.

ConsOnly offer summer intern positions. Year long positions would be nice.

A good start but there is better

Senior Client Service Officer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosnice coworkers, easy job, 9 - 5, hard to get fired

Consno perks, lazy coworkers/management, low pay relative to industry

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

neutral

ProsThe could be learning opportunity

ConsThe pay is well below market

Nice people, good culture, but boring work

Prosgood platform to enter the industry, nice culture and community activities

Conslong hours, too much operational work, not so many bright people that can inspire you

Advice to Senior Managementshould re-shape the business strategy, big gaps between the sales force and teams who're doing the actual work

Work here if you want to lose faith in yourself

(Current Employee)

ProsThe only good thing about this company, is the benefits. Other than that, nothing.

ConsWhere to begin. IFS is worse than high school, if one manager doesn't like you, no manager in the company will - they will make sure of it. They delve into every part of your personal life and spread rumours just like teenage girls. They do not promote, when they do, it's nepotistic and favouritism that moves people up. They employ the most low-class and incompetent people to be managers. I can hardly understand my manager, and they've been in the country for decades! There is no transparency, you can be told you're doing well and then out of nowhere get a bad review. No matter how hard you work, it will go unnoticed, no matter how well you work, it will never be good enough. If you do go that extra mile, management doesn't want to know or hear about it. Come work here if you like to be micro-managed, reminded of your tasks on a constant basis, and be humiliated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro-managing...if you don't trust the people working for you, fire them. Grow a spine and come to your own conclusions about employees; stop allowing the spineless and mentally deranged managers tell you what to think of your employees.

not that great

Prospeople are great and fun to be around

Conswork is not challenging and hours are terrible

Waste of time

Investment Accountant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people and culture, flexible hours, good entry level job, benefits are pretty good and will pay for your education

ConsLow pay, no opportunities for growth, very political - if you stay long enough, you'll get a promotion. if you see no opportunities for growth after 1-2 years, leave!

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!