State Farm

www.statefarm.com

State Farm Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.5 1,483 reviews

State Farm Chairman and CEO Ed Rust Jr.

Ed Rust Jr.

Pros
  • Great work life balance and encouragement to continue insurance education (in 88 reviews)

• The company has a good work environment and works to help employees meet their needs (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • As a side note - I had significant work / life balance issues as an agent (in 19 reviews)

• No room for advancement with contract employees and lower pay with no benefits (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights
1,483 Employee Reviews

Good company, fair pay and benefits

Public Relations (Current Employee) Aurora, ON

ProsExcellent organizational structure, good backing from US Head office (when working in Canada) Good culture. Strong History.

ConsVery insular, the promote from within environment stifles new ideas and doesn't allow outside talent in to contribute. Talent not allowed to thrive. Canadian office not supported as well as other offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementProblem employees in high level positions are not dealt with appropriately

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not bad, not great, educational

Office Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsLocation worked for me, educational

ConsWork life balance issues, hours

not bad not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnice people, ok location, good benefits

Conslarge company, anything can happen to your job at anytime

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Representative- Agent's Office

ProsThey have a competitive salary comparing to other companies with the same position. You would get bonuses as well. There would only be a few co-workers and the office of the atmosphere is usually small. If the agent that you are working for is nice then it makes your job a lot easier.

They provide benefits if you are working as a full-time employee. Usually, things are more flexible because you work in a team at the office and it makes negotiation a lot more simple.

State Farm pays for training courses and exams.

ConsOffices are really busy and there is no time for lunch. The phones would not stop ringing and you would be receiving tons of e-mails waiting for your attention. If you eat lunch at your desk you will get distracted because the phones would always ring and customers walking in. You will most likely end up working while you eat which is unhealthy.

You will always end up working overtime due to workload but we don't get paid for that.

There would always be drama and competition in the office because you work with sales representatives.

The main concern is I was never interested into becoming a sales representative which I mentioned at the interview. Unfortunately, they make you to get customers to sit with a sales representative hoping they would get more insurance.

Decent job; decent pay

Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFun work environment, decent pay

ConsShift work to accommodate different time zones

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentive is needed to increase sales productivity

Challenging but exciting to work here

ProsNice work environment to be in

ConsA lot of learning to do

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger training may be requiered

Underwriter

Underwriter (Current Employee) Aurora, ON

ProsGood company. They will invest in employees who are willing to put the time in.

ConsCurrently going through lots of change, understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to understaff.

Would have never started working for SF if I knew it would be like this

Property and Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) Aurora, ON

Pros- Benefits
    - Paid sick days
    - Co-workers are easy to get along with as we all share the same frustration with poor management.

Cons- Poor section management leadership and lack of foresight in dealing with staffing.
    - Fire Claims and Casualty is constantly understaffed.
    - Section Management has not let Fire Claims Central employees make lateral transfers for over half a year now.
    - Non-competitive wages compared to other Canadian insurance companies such as RBC, TD, etc.
    - Unfair practices and double standards held against certain employees.
    - Section Management frequently makes decisions that do not make sense to employees beneath them.
    - Section and Team Management only work 36:15 a week while staff below them work 40-45+hours a week.
    - Employees are frequently out of service level objects because management refuses to hire more staff.
    - Management seems to think the solution to all problems is to increase burden on current employees.
    - Very high turn over rate in FCC and Field as management has ignored deep rooted staffing problems for a very long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementClear out the current section managers and allow fresh people to come in to management, which might be difficult considering the high turn over rate. Current section management is not concerned about the policy holder or their employees below, or so it seems.

good to work for

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

Prostreats staff well and there is room for advancement

ConsMore of a male dominated environment, but getting better for female agents

Advice to Senior ManagementMore female agents in top rolls

Great company to work for but.....

Accountant (Current Employee) Aurora, ON

ProsState Farm is a really good company with great work life balance. However they do not pay well compared to similar companies and the opportunity for growth takes a really long time.

ConsGreat work life balance
    Very flexible work hours
    Great people

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should recognize talent and nurture then early. Pay well to talented employees to keep them from leaving.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!