Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Updated 9 January, 2015
3.7

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen
Frits van Paasschen

Pros
  • get to work with many talented people from around the world (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits we get hotel discounts (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance was hard because we get so involved with everything on property (in 22 reviews)

• Long Hours, some departments take longer than others for management opportunities to open up (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company that really cares about its associates

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

I can't speak too much to other departments, but my leadership encourages associates and challenges them with new projects beyond standard job roles. Successes are rewarded well. Work-life balance is a priority and 'life' time is respected.

Cons

salaries tend to not be competitive enough for the area

Innovative company, smart people -- sometimes too political and corporate

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really smart colleagues, amazing brands and industry, autonomy/ability to run with ideas, work/life balance, perks

Cons

Unclear career growth, politics, takes too long to get things done in an extremely matrixed organization

Take goal of being "agile" seriously -- why does it take 9 months to hire someone? 60 days to make a decision? Why is fighting for capital dollars so difficult?

It was great

Former Employee - Intern in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an Intern they wasted no time making me feel valued at the company. I was allowed to sit in on huge conference calls and shadow employees in various fields; sustainability, digital marketing, social media, etc. The highlight was presenting a mock advertisement for the Global Homepage to the board of executives! Overall it was a great learning opportunity.

Cons

I could have taken on more real-life assignments during the course of the summer. It felt as though they did not fully trust us interns to take on any heavy tasks, even though we were all more than capable.

Upper management was great. Very willing to help.

This company has the worst corporate politics. Leaders can't be trusted!

Former Employee - Marketing in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The field, hospitality, some strong brands.

Cons

Leadership. I find it shocking that Fritz has a 90% approval rating. Clearly these reviews are coming from hoteliers that have not spent any time in Stamford, CT (previously White Plains, NY). A good leader should surround themselves with a strong team. That is not the case with this executive team. There is so little respect for the men brought in by the current CEO. I was at a VP level and I can tell you the in fighting between SPG/Global Web, divisional brand teams, global brand teams was extremely unprofessional. It was disheartening to see leaders tear down others on "opposing" teams and only listening to their own staff rather than getting a full view. Leaders tore down the next level down versus building them up. I guess to maintain their own stature Not sure, but I can assure you there are some terrible people in brand leadership positions and heading up the SPG team. I am so glad to be out of that back-stabbing culture with such poor leadership. If you are living the Stamford drama...leave. I assure you there are much stronger options. After 8 years I finally woke up and I am so glad I have a healthy view on what a corporate culture should look like. You will not have that in Stamford.

Behind the times

Current Employee - Developer in Stamford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Developer in Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

It's stable for now. Plenty of free parking in the Stamford office. Most people work from home on Fri.

Cons

Technology is 10 years behind the times and initiatives are run by PMs. The bureaucracy and red tape you have to go through to get a browser install is insane. Good luck getting a Mac laptop. No growth if you want to learn any technology.

Expect to be in meetings and more meetings.

Get more Engineers that know technology.

Be forewarned...

Former Employee - Withheld in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Withheld in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The company is a Fortune 500 company and therefore looks good on the resume if you can survive. That's about it.

Cons

Consultants are treated as second class citizens even though you will be told that you will be treated as an employee. What this really means is that you will be undermined, criticized and micro-managed endlessly until found incompetent. The root cause of this are employees who know that there is no consequence to their own incompetence because it can be easily blamed on the consultant. The result is a revolving door of consultants. My best advice is to do your homework before accepting an assignment there.

Look at the turnover rate of consultants working in specific jobs and with specific employees. You'll then see the pattern emerge.

Really sharpened my skills at Starwood

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The people there are smart and really care about the company.

Cons

Lots of growth over the last couple of years and now its important that the management systems catch up. Heroics typically needed to meet IT launch commitments which would not be necessary if all processes were documented and and there was rigor around enforcing compliance.

Relying too much on contractors, especially given the little to no knowledge management at Starwood, means that there's no significant institutional memory. This inhibits Starwood from achieving a true environment of continuous improvement. Progress is made but the turnover means mistakes are repeated frequently because no one remembers the lessons learned previously.

Leaders in the hospitality industry, good perks and promotes internal employees.

Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were down to earth and love there job. Positive energy.

Cons

A lot of projects are thrown at you at one time. If you do no live near the Stamford CT don't bother applying.

Invest more time in your employees for personal growth.

Overall a good employer...some good benefits

Former Employee - Training Manager in Stamford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Training Manager in Stamford, CT (US)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Starwood has a great culture. They hire for attitude and train for skills. This can make it a wonderful place to work. My division always listened to the employee input. They conduct 360 evaluations every other year and yearly they survey the employees to see how they feel the company is doing. My favorite benefit at Starwood was summer hours. You work 1 hour extra every day Monday-Thursday (Memorial Day to Labor Day) and you only put in 4 hours on Friday. Typically you could work those hours from home.

Cons

Some divisions don't respect the employee's time off.You can expect long hours and you can expect to check (and respond) your email evenings, weekends and even vacation! This culture starts and the top and trickles down to the ranks. The benefits don't always make up for the demands on your time. During summer hours you can work the same number of hours during the week and just leave early on Friday.

The health benefits are terrible. I don't know how families can afford the insurance on some of the wages. They recently changed the annual review/bonus process so now loyal employees are finally getting a more reasonable annual increase. Prior you got less than a cost of living increase for your merit raise and possibly a bonus (bonuses are based on your pay grade/band, your performance and company performance)

People work to live, not live to work.

I also have noticed that the Leadership don't practice what they preach, especially in the HR arena. Remember, how you get the job done is as important as getting the job done. You have a little Napoleon in cowboy boots creating a culture of fear.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Photos