Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Starwood Hotels & Resorts President & CEO Frits van Paasschen

Frits van Paasschen

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall a good company

Training Manager (Current Employee)
Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStarwood Corporate is a good employer. They demand a lot of their employees and help develop them in their career path. Not only do they train you to do your job, but they help you be the best person you want to be. They have great programs for tuition reimbursement and 401K matching. They offer opportunities for advancement provided you’re willing to work in one of the corporate offices. They offer ‘Summer Hours’ which allows you to work 4 hours on Friday provided you make-up your work during the week (Memorial Day – Labor Day). They are an inclusive employer, they recognized domestic partners and provide benefits.

ConsThe medical benefits are barely adequate. They help offset the $1500 – 3000 deductible (single/family) by contributing $125 quarterly to your HSA. They don’t embrace telecommuting, they have some double standards to their policy around this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarwood likes to run as if they’re a ‘startup’ which they are not. They have 150,000+ employees globally. This reactionary culture creates chaos and frequently burns people out or services/products/software are not consistent or reliable. Learn from your mistakes put more processes and procedures in place to become a more MATURE (CMMI) company and avoid the chaos.

If you can't take the heat....

Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid incentive pay for above property associates and leadership, brand new LEED certified office HQ, smart & passionate people, oustanding & unique hotel brands, tons of opportunity to move and grow within the company. If you are talented you can basically have a new job every 3-5 years. Innovative and outside the box ideas are welcome and supported by leadership. Endless work & challenges for you to grow your skillset and solid career development opportunities.

ConsConstant innovation and new ideas can be frustrating to those who need structure and stability. This is not a 9-5 shop. The hospitality business is 24/7 and SW expects a lot even out of it's "corporate employee"s. If you aren't ready to give 55-60 HR's a week, you are going nowhere at this company in my opinion and you may even have trouble hanging. Personally I am fine with that but can see how it's a turnoff for some who are used to the typicl 40-45/HR a week corporate job.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be careful about putting "who you know" vs. "who is best qualified" into leadership roles. Internal promotion and bringing in "people from the industry" is needed but at times there can be bias because of the fear of externals not knowing the industry. You are missing out on some great external perspective & talent.

Good place to work... People are smart, they get it, but the process can be drawn out

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are great, the work atmosphere is nice too. Lots of corporate events.

Consdrawn out process for a lot of things... long interview process. If you're a young person you are going to end up reverse commuting from NYC (like most of us), and the train can be a bit of a pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore frequent shuttle buses. The cafeteria food can be pretty bad at times and the other options aren't great. Focus on healthier options in the cafeteria!

Corporate...not a happy or inspired place to work

Stamford, CT (US)

ProsGlobal focus. Product is pretty good however company is "dumbing it down" under new leadership team. Thank goodness for Barry S. handing them great brands and product. They would not get there on their own with current team.

ConsLeadership, a lot of backstabbing, most associates at corporate at pretty disgruntled. Most of the strong talent has already left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should surround himself with stronger players and admit that he has made some mistakes when it comes to his direct reports.

Increased politics in corporate teams

Associate Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIntelligent and motivated employees. Fantastic brands and great products. Excellent travel perks.

ConsHigh turnover due to increased politics in the corporate office. Junior level professionals managing teams with virtually no skills, ability or prior experience leading, developing or managing others. Limited opportunities for upward mobility within corporate teams. Stamford, CT location is less than ideal.

Great company

Specialist (Current Employee)
Stamford, CT (US)

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGlobal company, good pay, many opportunites, good work environment

Consdue to the global nature of the company, you can work late but it gets compensated by time off

Advice to Senior Managementkeep innovating

Great brands, poor culture, inconsistent strategy

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brands, travel benefits, good pay, profitable company

ConsToo much turnover of senior executives with "trickle down" effects on employees; inconsistent strategy due to continuous management changes.

Great place to work, people very professional

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople, employee development, friendly place to work

ConsNon-flexible, no room to advance once you get to certain level

Horrible Company to work for in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you are complacent in your life and there isn’t a need to grow or advance your career it’s the place to work.

ConsToo many politics, dated technology, no diversity, 40 hrs., benefits are not great, pay is not competitive, and some of the management style are not great managers. No severance policy. No integrity or authenticity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat each member of your team with respect.

Great brands and properties; Poor management of people

Corporate Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Hotel discount
- Exciting brands

Starwood attracts some of the brightest branding folks across multiple industries. Big Cornell population.

I started as a Coordinator and after 2 years moved up to Specialist. Fairly good movement in this area. Probably would've made Manager if I stayed for 2 more years.

Best areas for moving up: IT, Brands, Procurement, Sales;

Cons- 8 out of 10 supervisors (Directors, VPs) are caucasian
- No leadership development programs for minorities (or anyone)
- Slow to adapt to technological change
- Supervisors are more concerned about their job security
- Not a fun environment to work at anymore

Starwood loses the brightest associates after 2-3 years for multiple reasons:
- unmotivating managers
- stagnant corporate culture
- unactionable employee feedback
- nonpeople focused mentality
- compensation

Starwood discount is nice but they dont have properties with the same reach as Marriott or Hilton.

Hard to make it to a supervisor level.

Worst areas for moving up: Finance, HR, Real Estate

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people and you will reach your numbers

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starwood Hotels & Resorts reviews and ratings in Stamford, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Starwood Hotels & Resorts CEO Frits van Paasschen . All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Starwood Hotels & Resorts employees.