Starbucks Reviews

4,852 Reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz
Howard D. Schultz
3,285 Ratings

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 442 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 221 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nearly impossible to achieve until you've gained experience (in 128 reviews)

• While I was with the company, there was a huge turnaround with district managers (in 135 reviews)

More Highlights

Impressive and respectful company to work for

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- fun and dynamic work environment
    - very organized training and management structure
    - effective product knowledge training
    - gain expertise in customer service industry
    - great benefits

Cons

- some store managers are very under-trained and lack familiarity of Starbucks retail operations
    - inconsistent scheduling
    - compensation is not very competitive

- promote within for management team

Difficult but rewarding.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Burlington, ON
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Burlington, ON

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was trained in my role very well and learned a lot from all of the partners throughout my first few months as a barista and then a shift supervisor. There are some great people that will help you along and make sure you learn what you need to know. Free drinks while you work and great discounts. Also, there's benefits and stock options.

Cons

The training can sometimes be rushed or not as well executed as it could be. I'm a barista trainer and sometimes I wish I had more time with each new hire. It's super stressful when it's busy, and there's not enough time spent in making sure there's a flow of communication between managing partners.

There needs to be more clear-cut ways for people in management to communicate accurate and effective goals without missing people or leaving people out. I advise an email given to management teams.

Shift Lead in 2010

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Montreal, QC

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Accepting company LGTB friendly.
    Fun, fast-paced environment.

Cons

Corporate rules that are in place for quality control takes away from the custom coffee shop experience you get at small coffee shops.

Barista

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can learn how to make coffee well and you will meet awesome regular customers.
    And, it's very fun making coffee and working with other cool staffs. And you can get free coffee beans or teas every week and two free drinks on your working day. If you like coffee, you will love this job.

Cons

Usually, Starbucks stores are extremely busy. if you can do multitasking and are a quick learner, it would be ok. And, there are many things such as cleaning up the bar & condiment bar & washrooms, filling the ingredients up, and giving customer services you have to do. So, it's not easy but fun job.

At first, there are lots of things to memorize and to do. It might make you so confused and overwhelmed. But, I think if you work for starbucks, you can learn about customer service (not just saying hello, you can really interact with customers), making many different beverages, and working with others well. if you need help, other co-workers will help you. So, try to enjoy. Smile and connect with customers. Sometimes, you might feel bad because of some customers sometimes but you will feel happy with other awesome & friendly customers.

Amazing company

Current Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working alongside talented peers, equipped with the tools and resources to do your job, fabulous on boarding processes and access to ongoing development resources.

Cons

Most senior career advancement opportunities are in Toronto so you should be able to relocate.
    Exceptionally performance driven - some business units run very lean.

Fast paced job, tough scheduling

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Shifts can go by quickly when busy. Customers are generally friendly and leave decent tips.

Cons

Scheduling was not what was communicated - I was always early for shifts, faithful to busy Saturday/Sunday shifts when others dropped out "sick", then not allowed to take off days for exams because they needed "all hands on deck." I made a point to clarify specific days off when they interviewed me at the beginning. "For sure, we'll get to it when the time comes. Shouldn't be a problem."

Poor management - let their obnoxious significant others and bratty kids come in, order drinks for free, and solved relationship problems right there in the store. NO THANKS.

Has it's Highs and Lows

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some pros are excellent health benefits, tution reimbursement, great partner discount and free pound a coffee once a week. Great job to have if your a student or a mom looking for a part time job.

Cons

Cons are getting paid a little more than minimum wage and expected to do more work for less pay. The raise is ridiculous for barista's since you only get a ten cent raise every six months. There is room for growth, but the decisions are based on politics. Very few people are willing to grow in the company, because they see shifts/managers doing a lot of work for very little money.

Starbucks needs to stop focusing on making more and more money, and instead take a closer look on how their partner's are feeling about the company at the present moment. There is a high turn over in Starbucks store's for a reason!

Terrible store level management, good team

Former Employee - Barista in Burlington, ON
    Former Employee - Barista in Burlington, ON

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been a longtime regular of Starbucks so I felt very at ease in the environment initially. Even now as a grown-up professional, Starbucks is my shop of choice, despite what I cover in this review. The group of baristas I worked with were a lot of fun. Because of the insane hours of work we became good friends and spent a lot of time outside of work together too. Partner benefits are great - tons of free drinks, discounts when not working, and health benefits available even to part timers. If you need 40 hours you'll be able to get that without a problem, especially since you can pick up shifts at another location if you want to.

Cons

My assistant manager had been charged with sexual assault and when another partner and I discovered this the regional manager dismissed our concern like it was no big deal. On several occasions this creep cornered me in the back room away from the security cameras and would make threats at me. Management did not care as this assistant manager was willing to work the overnight shift and no one else was. I quit because I was uncomfortable and terrified of this man and even head office ignored my concerns. Starbucks has such a great reputation but this experience is something I'll never forget. Some of the customers you'll deal with are actually insane. I had a man threaten to strangle me because I put foam on his latte and it was meant to be made with no foam. This was on Christmas Day and he was not kidding. Drive thru customers get mad and yell or throw stuff around when their drinks more than ten seconds to make. Too many people hinge their happiness on a cup of coffee and the yelling and screaming gets a little excessive. If you think I'm kidding try working as a drive thru barista on the 6am-10am shift on a Monday morning. Nutbars.

Treat partner concerns like they matter. Tossing free drinks and benefits at us won't cover up major issues occurring at the store level.

Shift supervisor

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of benefits. Flexible hours

Cons

Too much work, not enough pay.

Overworked, underpaid. Company has lost its focus.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in North Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in North Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free drinks
    Made a couple friends
    Coworkers feel like family

Cons

Unpredictable hours, clopen shifts leaving you with 5 hours of sleep, rude customers, always understaffed, huge turnover rates, no time to deliver great customer service with district's current obsession with minimizing labour, no time to help employees who need it, upper management seems out of touch with the realities of life in a store, insignificant raises even with great reviews (You're doing everything amazingly, here is a quarter.).

If you spent more time and money on "nurturing the human spirit" of your employees, maybe you wouldn't lose so much time and money to training replacements for 6 out of every 10 people you hire. I've seen a lot of talent walk out the door because of this loss of employee focus. The touchy-feely explanations in the training and recruiting materials of how partners are treated is completely false advertising, at least in this area.