Starbucks

3.7 4,310 reviews

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,934 ratings)

Pros
  • The best part of working there were the benefits offered to part time employees (in 401 reviews)

• You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week (in 200 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field (in 109 reviews)

• Store Managers and District Managers are disconnected from hourly partners (in 114 reviews)

More Highlights
4,310 Employee Reviews

Fantastic Experience with great people to work with

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Victoria, BC

ProsRoom for improvement in your Customer service skills, streamlines services, great benefits

Consminimum pay, growth within the company is slow

Advice to Senior Managementmore feedback from baristas

great learning environment

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Prosgood benefit package. great people to work with.
    gain valuable customer service experience.
    get sales experience without pressure

Consdeal with difficult customers at times.
    heavy workload depends on location.

Good part time position for students

Barista (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsThe staff at my Starbucks were extremely friendly and the customers as well.
    Management was also great, very accommodating .
    Great benefits.

ConsSome of the challenges of working at Starbucks is that there isn't much room for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK Experience, varies greatly from store to store.

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsFree coffee, you are supposed to chat with customers, and you learn a lot. Good health benefits

ConsYou must be very detail-oriented to work here. Minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more get-togethers for your staff. At my store, they weren't even really allowed to talk to each other.

Very physically demanding, and yet rewarding.

Lead Barista (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIt was a great experience and I personally was able to discover and develop diverse interpersonal qualities which I would have never known working any other places. being a true team worker is not easy, but definitely worth the effort. I personally enjoyed developing relationships with regular customers. yes, it is a part of starbucks' strategy to get people to continue to come, but still it really is just great to get to know people.

ConsWorking at starbucks as a barista does not only ask brewing coffee. The job includes lots of cleaning tasks including bathrooms, floor, mop, bussing condiment stands, wiping tables, etc. It could be difficult unless you learn to find joy in a way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked under 2 managers, and I think the work environment quality hugely depends on the management. For their end, finding a nice responsible team worker is important which will make all the baristas life easy, but also giving some trust and not micro-managing would help the atmosphere less tense. I would've loved to continue to work for as long as I could, but it was just impossible to live off a minimum wage. other than that, I would've loved to stay.

Starbucks is an amazing company that cares for their employees.

Barista - Starbucks (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

ProsWorking as a barista is a ton of fun! You get free coffee, store discounts, health care benefits, tuition for school, and more! Everyone I've met working at Starbucks has been so down to earth and funny, and my manager is a sweetheart. Making the fancy drinks and becoming friends with your regular customers is an added bonus! I was initially afraid of screwing up drinks and getting yelled at but out of all the places I've worked, Starbucks has had the nicest and most understanding customers so far!

ConsSince it's a coffee shop, you can work some very very early morning shifts which can be tiresome. All in all though, there are very few cons to working at Starbucks and I would recommend it to anyone!

Advice to Senior ManagementWe really need to cut back on the base amount of sugar we put in the drinks as well as the amount of sugar in the food. More and more I find people asking for less sugar, and more importantly it's very bad for your health. We need to set an example and move away from white cane sugar in our drinks and food, and use sugars with a lower hypoglycemic index such as coconut sugar. I think the public would respond extremely well to a reduced sugar menu.

Good experience, great environment, low pay

Barista (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsIt is a great environment to work at. Had a chance to work with nice people, it was a friendly environment where you can talk with customers, it was not a boring job

ConsSalary was too low, there was too much work sometimes and demand from you

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not favour some employers over others, otherwise you would demotivate them

"Partner" experience varies from store to store

Barista (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSide benefits are great:
    - Free drinks half hour before, on breaks and after work
    - Weekly partner "markout" (take-home) coffee and tea benefit once per week
    - Global 30%-40% discount at all company operated brands
    - Coupons when a new promotion cycle starts (Summer 1, Summer 2)
    - Shifts are closer to 8 hours rather then 5-6 hour shifts at other part time places
    - Additional paid breaks that other part time places don't give
    - Paycheck deductible full coverage health insurance plan if you work 30+ hours a week
    - Able to work at multiple stores for extra hours
    - Tuition program - have not used yet but the benefit ($500/semester) is doubled compared to my previous job
    - Receive a portion of pooled tips weekly - If the store gets roughly $150 tips for the week and you work 35-40 hrs of the 450 labor hours you get $10-15 in cash.

ConsMinimum wage to start, maybe $1-2 per hour extra if you stay awhile. Entirely dependent on reviews from your Store Manager (SM)
    Standing for extended periods
    Cleaning the floors including lifting heavy mats as a pre-closer (task I hate the most)
    Cracked, peeling hands due to constant hand washing and dish washing
    Abusive and impatient customers who order over complicated drinks - if your in a hurry keep it simple!
    Deep cleaning in order to get the best score on the QASA (Quality Assurance Starbucks Audit)
    Repetitive tasks - Register, Making drinks, cleaning
    Business levels can be very erratic
    Some stores have to clean washrooms and drive thru, mall locations always have a line of no less than 15 people
    Raises gaps might not be maintained when minimum wage periodically increases - tenured employees end up making the same as new hires

Worked at 2 stores

Barista (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

Pros- Friendly customers
    - unlimited amount of starbucks drinks you can have

ConsWorked at 2 stores, the difference was night and day! One of them had rude co-workers who thought they were better than you. Management was poor, he did not know what he was doing!! The other store was great, friendly and helpful co workers and management was good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you hire qualified managers

Not the best job, but It's flexibility makes it hard to let go.

Barista Trainer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsPhantom system (get your shift covered by any employee from any store)
    Free drinks on shift and weekly coffee or tea markouts
    Flexible hours

ConsNo tattoos visible and only 2 piercings per ear. I would say at least 50% of employees are affected by this.
    Can get very stressful, hot and tiring during busy rushes.
    Store hours. Opening shifts at 5:30 am and closing shifts at 10:45 can mean you get days when your're up late and have to be in again very early.
    In my store at least the "employee area" is one small desk crammed beside a water heater. Also where any meetings take place, or where Supervisors have to work so if it's full, you're out of luck

Advice to Senior ManagementBarista appreciation is not very strong. It's a stressful job and more support would be nice.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!