Starbucks

Starbucks Chairman, President, and CEO Howard D. Schultz

Howard D. Schultz

(2,579 ratings)

3,747 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great benefits even for part time employees and a supportive work atmosphere"
    in 347 reviews
  • "Free drinks while you're working and a free pound of coffee (or tin of tea) every week"
    in 183 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance was preached corporately but ignored in the field"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Customers can sometimes get you down but it's just part of being in customer service"
    in 92 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

On balance a good place to work

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsStarbucks has a great culture for everything related to operations. Pay is very competitive.

ConsSenior leadership doesn't seem to be serious about empowering store managers to be effective. Some examples are excessive bureaucracy and ineffective technology solutions, which can both harm the metrics we are accountable for.

Barista

Barista (Current Employee)
Victoria, BC

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

Prosvery team oriented and super fun atmosphere.

ConsMinimum wage and very slow pay raise.

Great first job

Barista (Current Employee)

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than a year

ProsHave the opportunity to work with amazing people. Great incentives. Helps your confidence with people.

ConsI have been there for two years now, having gone through 3 different managers the attitude of the store has changed. (Specific store)

Great overal environment, but sometimes lacking in forward thinking

Starbucks Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat set of people, above average product, company values

Consuneven leadership, compensation below average

It is fun to work at Starbucks. You get to meet a lot of new people however when it comes to pay it might be little low

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
Coquitlam, BC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, and fun atmosphere

ConsLow pay compared to amount of work done

Good

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly atmosphere, great for gaining experience, flexible schedules so worked well with my school schedule.

ConsSometimes you need to deal with customers demanding crazy things (refunding half eaten energy bar).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training for making drinks as some employees make terrible drinks, need to standardise more.

Friendly, Easy Going Environment, used to be at least.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteracting with Customers and creating friendships with people.
You have regular customers so everyday you are usually seeing a lot of the same people daily which almost makes it routine, and routine is good to have in a job, at least for me. The job is very soothing at times when you are on bar making beverages for our customers. The smell of coffee. Unlimited drinks (kinda) we work as a team. Being in charge they trust you with their store. We all have a very unique mentality about our job we work very well together. Starbucks gives you the freedom to almost feel like you are the owner of the store.

ConsHeavy Work load, you are responsible for the cleansing and closing procedures at the same time you are to serve customers. Too much expected when it comes to sales. Incentives are horrible. We work very hard with VERY little pay. Baristas who have been working for the company longer than others have higher pay then their shift supervisor who is considered to be superior to the baristas but actually get no credit. Raise is horrible. 10 cents wont help me pay for school or my groceries. customers are very choosey and demanding because of starbucks unique customizing drinks its annoying sometimes. and now we have to write names on cups. i think we should hand out numbers instead or a funny name or a daily theme make it fun for us too not just the customers. food needs to be upgraded everyday selling the same food is boring and doesnt really excite us to sell. Less drinks on the menu. its too complicated for a lot of new customers walking in. not enough employees working a shift especially at a very busy store. Warming sandwiches is good enough we dont want to start making them ourselves. i can go on forever but i wont... and DID I MENTION PAY IS HORRIBLE....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop forcing sales on us we make drinks for a living we do not work a commission based job.
Give us real raises we deserve it we work very hard to make you live comfortably help us too.
What happened to "partner" incentives like tee shirts for new coffees?
Uniform is lame. very boring we cannot be unique but we portray the image to be unique... whats up with that starbucks.

Quick review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks

ProsMorale is good and fun to work at.

ConsCan be understaffed at times

it is really about the store manager

Barista (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Prosfree drinks, good discount, great people u might meet

Consif store manager are not nice enough, store is like hell. underpaid, busy

Advice to Senior Managementa little bit more flexibilities would help every body happy, managers.

Great Company....Not so great Store Manager

Barista - Starbucks (Former Employee)

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree coffee beans, free drinks on shift, generous partner discount, good benefits.

ConsSalary not the best, constantly sent home partners early because it wasn't busy and were over staffed, which would have been perfect if we were busy. Store manager was too over confident, aggressive and seemed sweet when it suited her needs but pissy otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the big bosses come and talk to the baristas every once in awhile....not just the district and area managers, I mean the head honchos who sit on their butts behind a desk.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Starbucks reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Starbucks CEO Howard D. Schultz. All 3,747 reviews are posted anonymously by Starbucks employees.