Staples

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Staples Chairman and CEO Ron Sargent

Ron Sargent

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A revolving door for employees

Resident Easy Tech (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Staples part-time for less than a year

ProsStaples has a broad selection of office supplies, printer cartridges and technology used in offices. You can find furniture, computers, telephones and the basics to set up an office in a one-stop shop. The customers are knowledgeable and interesting to find solutions for.

ConsHigh turnover with limited hours and limited wages. There's never a dull moment when you try to find out what's really going on. Limited responsibility from start to finish on a job means that the customer doesn't know who is responsible for what.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoordinate your business processes so there's less "dropping the ball."

Mitt Romney started this company

Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Staples full-time for less than a year

ProsAverage salary for college grad

ConsLack of diversity in executive mgmt, just look at the website. Up north bully tactics. No specific schedule for associates in fulfillment centers. Consistent lie that staples is a great place to work, more like a NJ sweatshop. Only four mgrs, in the entire warehouse had degrees, rather promote Hs dropouts, than hire competent grads. All they cared about were numbers and always wanted sups to terminate or do dirty work for incompetent uneducated ops mgrs. can completely understand why company was started by Bain Capital. Sleazy upper mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire, go to college, and stop faking it by reading business magazines

Horrible place to work, needs more pay.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Canton, GA (US)

I have been working at Staples part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, Weekly Pay, Great Management.

ConsLow pay for loads of work.................

Decent in-between job

Resident Easy Tech (Former Employee)
Alpharetta, GA (US)

I worked at Staples part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible work schedule is great for college students
Ability to cross train in different departments
Opportunity to learn about new trends and devices in technology

ConsTerrible pay
I received a lot of calls on my days off to assist employees with Easytech repairs
Corporate employees come to the store and expect to be worshiped

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more positive feedback to employees
Create a better (sales) bonus program
Bridge the gap between corporate and store employees
Pay the quality employees what they deserve

Staples is a very demanding company, with little work life balance

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Prosstrong company, decent pay and benefits, and bonus plan

Consno training, lack of store payroll. Inconsistent messag in the from DM and RVP in the Atlanta market. Company using low cost operating model LCOM, to keep stores open. 12 to 14 people in a building with all the tasks, ads, conference calls, and the constant pressure to get tech sales and copy sales. Pay for associates is terrible. They want big sales from $ 7.25per hour associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand and invest payroll in the stores. You cant operate to a profit. Put asociates in the store Stores need to have sku count reduced. Lots of dead inventory.

Fun, self paced engaging job.

Strategic Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorking at home was rewarding.

ConsNo access top corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better at working with your

Staples Easy Tech

Roswell, GA (US)

I have been working at Staples

ProsNice company to work for, company does a few things for employees and holds contests each month in pen sales and share profits.

ConsPay is very low compared to most retail companies, time off requests often denied because of lack of staffing in the store.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay and benefits would always be a plus as well as giving stores more hours to let there be more full time staff.

Staples is a great place to work, in a fun environment, with a great team!

Cashier (Former Employee)
Canton, GA (US)

I worked at Staples

ProsThis was my summer job as a college student, and they worked with my summer schedule, and allowed me to make my own hours so I could take vacations. Staples was very accommodating. The people I worked with were great and the tone management set for everyone was relaxed. We got our work done but had a lot of fun doing the work.

ConsDuring Back-to-School events, I felt the overnights were unnecessarily long and pointless. If they had created a very specific schedule or spreadsheet of each person's duties the night would have been shorter and things would have gotten done faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized during back-to-school events, also know the hours of operation of most restaurants and get food ordered before everything closes for the employees staying for overnight organization of BTS

long carrer cut short.. had loads of fun

Delivery Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Staples

Prosgreat benefits,super supervisor,able to work independentley most of the time,meeting new pepole

Conspoor upper management,small hubs low on "totem" pole.slow to get information&help from leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATION,better driver recognition,realalistic bonus numbers..7 % of total....seriously

Great experience for developing your outside sales skills.

Outside Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Staples

ProsYou work from home and they offer a fair compensation package. The have an excellent new hire 5 day training program. They all so like to have a lot of fun in the office.

ConsThere is a lot of pressure to close 2 new accounts every week. If you are not able to meet the 2 closes each few regarding of attaining your revenue goal, you will be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more realistic goals for new accounts. I don't have any more advice or feedback outside of making the goals more attainable.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Staples CEO Ron Sargent. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees.