Stantec

Updated 18 December, 2014
3.1

Stantec President and CEO Bob Gomes
Bob Gomes

Pros
  • I hear they have a good benefits package (don't know for certain, as i was ineligible as an intern) (in 16 reviews)

• Large company great people always busy (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The "PC structure" (profit center) of the company (in 8 reviews)

• Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Place for Coop Experience

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Stantec as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are patient, kind and helpful and respect the opinions of everyone.

Cons

The pay relative to other consulting companies in vancouver was low.

Increasing the compensation

Great Start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for vairety of projects
    Varied experience and learning for young employees - solid technical advice
    Good leadership and mentoring program
    Team orientated

Cons

Company is Big
    Management talks big but falls short on occasion. Seeing a turnover rate on the rise. Could jsut be the job market.

A tendency to over promise at a higher level and then expect results.

It all depends who you're working for and where

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits (from my experience). Work Life balance can be good if you can turn off your desires to execute good work and resign yourself to disorganization and mediocrity.

Cons

Publicly traded company, so mass layoff occur when work isn't being won. As the title suggests, I believe the work experience will largely depend on your Sector, Office and Manager (as it would in many other large companies). Oil & Gas is a chaos. Too many chiefs, too many egos, too little organization, poor planning.... In terms of internal processes, what is right one day will be wrong the next, or maybe still right depending on which manager you talk to. You never really know. This could be said of many large corporations to some degree, but this is worst I've experienced in my professional career. I would never recommend.

Management should try and get on the same page before misdirecting their employees into frustration and despair.

Micromanagement sucked the life out of me

Former Employee - Employee in Regina, SK
    Former Employee - Employee in Regina, SK

I worked at Stantec

Pros

Variety of projects. Parking near office. Office is modern but interior open concept sucks. 7.5 hour work day if you don't care about productivity

Cons

Micromanagement crushes your spirit and your desire to be engaged. Compensation and raises are horrible no raise in multiple years. Networking supersedes intelligence and knowledge.

Please get real for future employees. Stop the bait and switch. Think consistency in application of standards and treatment of staff.

One of the worst employers I have ever worked with

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, flexible work schedule. good work life balance

Cons

Horrible management, no respect for senior people

Make sure you have enough project to work on and don't bring engineers from their companies promising them a lot of work and them send them home pretending shortage of projects

A very unstable environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stantec is an interesting place to work with a variety of projects that makes it definitely a place where you won't get bored easily. Most of the people are nice and you have the flexibility to accommodate family events and kids. The Kitchener office is currently located in a building that is centrally located in the city and is a good commute if you're living in the tri city area.

Cons

Stantec is a very unstable work environment. When there's tons of work to be done they hire quickly. When work gets sparse they will fire people immediately. A lot of people get away with being rude and that is a function of management not caring how employees treat each other. Co-workers will often condone other people's rude behaviour towards each other, including poor attitudes, coarse language, and arguments.

Diversify projects to make a more stable work environment and stop condoning people's behaviour in the office.

Stressful and unfriendly work environment

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Kitchener, ON
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Kitchener, ON

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well-known consultants
    Good on the resume
    Gained experience within the first year. Almost no experience to be gained after the first year

Cons

It's all about profit regardless the work quality !
    Several technical mistakes are covered behind fancy colorful reports
    No hope to raise to high or intermediate level management if you're relying on your work only. Network with the powerful and right people and you'll get promoted regardless your knowledge and skills

Networking Matters More than Knowledge or Skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Stantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people to work with. Pretty good beneifits, though expensive.

Cons

Network with the powerful and right people and you'll get promoted regardless your knowledge and skills (from another review, but I thought this fits perfectly). Women are generally treated as administrative peons regardless of their experience or skill level. If you don't know the right people you will get lost in the shuffle and never advance. Administrative people are often treated rudely or not acknowledged by management. Squeaky wheels get promoted/choice positions over those who work hard. Technicians are often shuffled about from project to project and get no follow through or choice in the matter.

Ensure all jobs are posted at least internally. Not posting positions and then handing them to ass-kissers shows other employees that they don't even have a chance at a position no matter how skilled they are. Stop buying companies and then laying off dedicated employees.

One of the best places I ever worked

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer In Training in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer In Training in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Canadian company, strong team, despite the size, feels like a small company with relatively close relationship with almost any level of management...

Cons

Very competitive, hard to get in, not even sure what else to say

Please make better decisions in the future (upper management, you know what I mean)

managements combined IQ may be close to that of a Donkey

Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flex hours and being that you are by far smarter then all management, you could easily get away with pushing the limits on when you really showed up. Outsmarting them was very easy since they have no clue what you actually do or are responsible to do in a day. They usually just walk around like lost Donkeys, drinking their free coffee and noding their head like that actually know what the hell they are talking about... So you could say anything and they will nod "ah yes, I agree.. Cause I'm so stupid. I have no idea what you are talking about but as your boss I must pretend".. So for entertainment value it was definitely worth working there

Cons

If your a woman, a person with a any sort of tint to their skin or an IQ above 65.. You will unfortunately be stuck taking orders from incompetent human looking cattle that now has an ability to make decisions on your behalf. It's quite exhausting. You constantly have to explain common sense to these people that think they own you.. Like actually own you, slave style. They make bad decision after bad decision where you have to constantly put fires out behind them. Due to these managers incompetence, youre stuck chaperoning their meetings just in case the client asks them a question that they never know the answer to so you find yourself spending more time holding their hand then focusing on your work. If you were looking to learn something from anyone in upper management for career growth, unfortunately you surpassed them in skill set by the age of 2 when you figured out how to urinate in a toilet.

Hopefully you guys just go under so you can stop making the engineering world look so incompetent