Sports Direct

Updated 20 January, 2015
2.3

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

assistant sales

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

good team environment, good hours

Cons

boring, can be quiet, poorly treated

Severe ambivalence - North London, but pretty much everywhere right?

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting nice colleagues are a positive, been working for 2 years and I get the responsiblities of taking care of a whole floor due to my experience than others. I get paid £5.80 hourly I am 19 and I have to look after a 16 year old who is quite new who is on the same rate as me. My time is taken advantage of, and the managment could be a lot better when it comes to equality. Due to the companies "rewards" and "generosity" and the environment of working in Sports direct has made me mentally frustrated and have reached breaking point to continue as a "casual sales assistant." If you are treated infairly do not take no damn I work with a few amazing people that put our branch store in the Premiere League that Sports direct do not even deserve to have.

Cons

Given a burden of work and not getting anything more than I should. Getting "supervisor responsibilities" when they're off on break or off while I am on a 0-hour contract. And covering the security guards break at the front of the store which is extremely unprofessional. I will not be running after a thief or approaching them if they steal something and run. I am not trained and they want to put me in a security guards position. OH PLEASE.

Managment, you must treat everyone fairly with respect, at least have a smile on your face for at least an hour a day. Especially to your customers. Do not be lazy and put your load of work on my shoulders. I don't care if particular people are selling their KPI's amazingly. Treat everyone the same!

overall

I worked at Sports Direct

Pros

flexibility of hours
    valuable skills gained

Cons

pay rate
    shift patterns are awkward

basic competency interview

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (less than a year)

Pros

not much to be honest

Cons

long hours, do not speak to anyone in a professional manner

There should be no swearing when talking to others managers or staff members.

Casual Assistant

Former Employee - Cast in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cast in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, no contracts, work whenever they need you to, some really nice, young staff

Cons

supervisors/managers can be rude and unprofessional, favouritism, often driven by sales they don't really care for you. I have seen staff upset because of the way managers/ supervisors treat them. No training provided staff can be thrown into the deep end quite quickly. Only have discounts on certain days which may be days you are not working

connect with staff, provide training, have a better attitude

Possible the worst company on the high street

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of a pro for sports direct. The only good thing that unites the workers is a hatred of the place

Cons

Awful training, terrible attitude from management towards breaks, zero hour contracts are a joke, whats the point of asking a worker their availability for shift if you are just going to be put into the rota at anytime

Treat workers as people, take time to listen to them, organise shifts better

Co-Workers Are Great, Perks Are Lacking

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Denton, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

During my time at Sports Direct I have found that the best things about the job are the Zero-hour contract, which for me as a student allows me to work as and when I'm available (after school, school holidays etc) and also to take time off whenever I need it such as for exams and holidays with my family. Another great aspect of Sports Direct are the people. Even when the hours behind a till are starting to drag on a little there's always a friendly face next to you to make you smile.

Cons

Every now and then the customers can be rude, however I'm sure this is an occupational hazard for anyone in retail.

Increase pay from minimum wage. It isn't easy working six hours non stop 5 days a week and the pay should reflect this. The employee discount is pretty much non-existant, even with a valid pay slip and being on the only day of the week when the company gives a minimal employee discount I have been refused by stores as I don't work for that particular branch. Ideally the discount would be extended to 7 days a week and some form of proof other than personal information about my earnings should be given out to allow access to discounts.

fantastic and rewarding, don't believe everything you read

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the rewards of working your way up in a company , hard work yes, long hours of course, but as with everything worthwhile in life what you put into it you get out of it, if you want an easy life do not work for sports direct, you want to work and earn beyond all expectations then this is the company for you

Cons

only negative here is people that don't want to work for a living and think that the company owes them

Absolute joke.

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

When the stores busy, your always on your feet, management were friendly at interview stage, meet a lot of new friendly people, and it's a good start to improving customer service skills

Cons

Zero hour contract, they call you in when they feel like it, sometimes they text you your shift hours and when I texted I never got a response, then I got a text the next day telling me that I was due in at 12, I had 1 hour to get ready and get to work, they treat you like slaves, especially if your at a young age they expect you to run around for them. Tasks don't vary much, always doing the same job each shift and when the stores not busy then it gets very boring and your shift drags. No breaks unless you have a 6 hour shift and the pay is low and not worth it.

Treat staff with a little more respect, better organisation would be great, and increase in pay.