Sports Direct Reviews

Updated 25 August, 2014

2.4

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

an exhausting but both a financially and emotionally rewarding experience!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Crayford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Crayford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

making friends with other staff and becoming a little family helping enthusiasm and motivation around the store

Cons

lots of tasks to do in little amount of time! can be challenging sometimes

breaking down large tasks to prevent demotivation and discouragement of enthusiasm in the store which can reflect badly onto our customers giving them an unpleasant shopping experience

Well run store, other staff helpful and had a good time working for them

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Trowbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Trowbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Team worked very well together
    - Some of the staff who worked there had been there for some time which suggested there were good opportunities
    - Was working as a summer job. I was treated as well as other staff and offered a good amount of hours

Cons

- No parking arrangements for the store I was in so I spent quite a bit to park for work.

- Subsidise or arrange parking

Enjoy working there because your hard work is easily noticed by the management.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a hard working individual your work will be noticed and highly appreciated. it's an expanding company and it's easy to be promoted just need to be committed and motivated to improve the standards of your shop and give the best customer service possible.
    Great career opportunities as its easy to be promoted!

Cons

Long hours, working 50+ hours a week gets to you and sometimes you are simply tired. Your social life is affected.

Promote more people within the company as some worked very hard for a very long time and deserve a promotion. Instead of getting management from outside the company with no retail experience. The staff end up training the management above them, which is not fair as they get paid lot lot more.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A valuable experience on how to work for an employer that treats its staff as expendable assets.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for Sports Direct is the staff discount, the ability to earn some cash and to develop people & communication skills.

Cons

I think there are a lot of cons for working for an organisation like Sports Direct. The work/life balance is none existent, as they expect you to work ridiculous hours, sometimes with no breaks, and even on days where you have booked them off for occasions such as weddings. Not just from my own testimony but from others as well, they treat their staff as expendable. If you can't come into work for whatever reason, whether it is college commitments (as i was only part time) or due to illness, they still expect you to come in or "you can look for another job". Also most senior leaders, apart from one or two, have zero people skills and talk to their staff in a very disrespecting and aggressive manner as some sort of motivation tactic or to vent their own frustration.

A top to bottom restructuring of the organisation should be looked at, as well as a better selection process of those in a senior role, such as store managers and supervisors in order for create career progression opportunities and staff fulfillment.

Casual Sales Assistant- awful experience.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

they let you turn down shifts etc and you work depending on your own availability

Cons

This was my first proper retail job and the only training I got was about 2 hours help on the till. I was left to do everything else with no help, and I had to figure things out, which caused a lot of delays during returns etc and tidying/restocking shop floor.
    My colleagues weren't very friendly either- it really didn't feel like teamwork at all, just everybody competing with each other.

BE more supportive and friendly!

Before starting a stranger I just met told me staff are overworked and underpaid... she could't have been any more right

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working as part of a big team
    Earning money and discount
    Great experience for the real world

Cons

Staff are expected to do way more than they should and rewarded with no guaranteed hours.
    If work is outstanding, staff must sign out and then finish their work unpaid.
    Shop is always a mess and not enough staff to clean up
    Management clearly show favouritism and give allowances to staff which angers others.
    Minimum wage for such hard work is just wrong

While I really really enjoyed my time there I would never share my good experiences with others because my bad experiences heavily outweighed the good. Management at the store was very poor and I would advise you to carefully employ managers who are absolutely right for the job and convey a positive attitude to the rest of the staff. Working unpaid and having hours cut due to favouritism is just not acceptable. And this is coming from an employee who was a favourite but witnessed first hand the anger of other staff. Staff should also be rewarded for hard work not penalised for an occasional blip.

friendly staff but terrible hours. pay and promises.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy to get time off for doctors, holidays etc.

Cons

no holiday pay, no guaranteed hours, no sick pay, minimum wage, no career opportunities, no promotions. wouldn't get you anywhere in life.

career opportunities, promotions, guaranteed hours.

Slave Drivers Rather Than Team Leaders

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sports Direct can be a chilled environment when it is not busy

Cons

Managers appear to be hired based on their ability to talk to young staff like idiots. It is understandable that the store has targets that we must meet, but instead of talking to us like human beings, we have managers who talk with quite DE motivational words/tone of voice. There are regular upsets because of the managers who use their authority to put others down.
    Customers will be customers, but Sports Direct has unreal amounts of reasons to make a customer shout in your face, especially if you're a girl.

Talking to someone like a lesser being is not beneficial to the company as sending your till staff to be the face of Sports Direct after dehumanising them won't paint a pretty picture of customer service.
    A lot of you need to sort out your inner demons because from my experience, the only superiors that have a problem with the world are the ones who evidently have no self-respect; through lack of hygiene, physical hindrances and so on.
    It should also be noted that the role of a manager, although being there to keep the staff in order, should create a positive atmosphere in order to motivate people to be a team through respect for the superiors. No one respects our superiors a part from one or two blue-shirts, basically because the negativity is completely uncalled for and over exaggerated, and is a sloppy and unethical way to get where the company is now.

Zero hour contract the problem

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Bury, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

No chance of company going bust, friendly people.

Cons

zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment. Have to constantly upsell the dam bag.Customers aren't the best. Received a lot of abuse, store wasn't really that organised

Get rid of zero hour contracts. They are awful. Try and create a more friendly atmosphere. No team building whatsoever so it was very every man for himself.

Frustrating and stressful.

Current Employee - Cast  in  Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cast in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The main pros are the people. Some of the people you meet in the store are great fun to be with and make the working hours easier to bear. I also feel like my own confidence shot up since I started working with the company.

Cons

I could only mention a few. But the main con is your performance (and in my case hours) being measured purely on KPI's which are little add-ons that you have to offer every customer. If you don't sell enough You'll be told your performance is poor and your not doing your job. Even if you put 110% effort in, if people don't agree to buying your add-ons, you will be told you are doing a poor job. and chances are having your hours cut, which brings me to my next point:

0 hour contracts. I'm not guaranteed any hours at all from week to week. While the contract can be helpful for students who need additional time off, for people needing a job to make money/support others. It's a rocky road without a guaranteed income. One month I can make £600 easily. The next month I may be struggling with only £300.

And this is more personal, but being here for 4-5 years and I've not moved through the company AT all. I'm stuck being a CAST member unless I leave. I haven't been given any opportunities and no-one seems to want to give me them.

Stop with the push on KPI's! Having them is a good idea, but the way they are being pushed is just makes work life stressful for both CAST and management. I know people are putting the effort you want them to put in and then not getting results, being passed off as poor performance just because customers didn't want a magazine. If it gets to the point when people are always leaving the work place depressed and not wanting to come to work, there is something really wrong.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!