Sports Authority

Updated 30 January, 2015
Updated 30 January, 2015
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

WAREHOUSES ARE CRAP!

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Romeoville, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Romeoville, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount in stores are good. BUT There is no personal growth, raises are terrible or non existent, benefit prices are high and you are forced and encouraged to go on public insurance. They say they are for the employees with all their immature incentive programs - but it is smoke and mirrors to how employees are really treated.

Cons

There is no regard on how associates are treated from Mgmt. And if you say something, you are disciplined. It is no wonder turnover is so high. Your hours are cut short for a day or week and you are told on that day! Safety is terrible with messy and cold warehouses. Mgmt. only walks around, never pitches in to help. Instead they bark and swear at you and tell you your quality and productivity is not what it should be. Only favorites, "who look like them are promoted or offered training." Mgmt. plays with numbers so they don't get in trouble with their bosses. In the event they finally get someone in here to improve the place or know what is really going on, they are terminated.

Start all over with new management through out. Consider offering benefits employees can afford when they are making such low wages. Get rid of some of the programs in place as they mean and count for nothing! Their programs are an insult!

Honest opinion theres Definitely worst jobs out there.

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Decent Pay rate for average cashier job. Discount is Really good now witch is At cost plus 15%. So What ever the company pays plus an addition 15% is what you end up paying. Usually right around 50% off on Nike and Under Armor products. If you're good in retail and customer service environments this job will be good for you, its really not a difficulty job even as a team lead or senior sale.

Cons

Mangers can nit pick and be very un-professional at times.They stress signing customers up for loyalty rewards cards, sometimes managers can push it way to hard and upset customers. My loyalty sign up percentage can be number one in the store 4 out of 5days of my work week, and mangers will over react to one bad day. Most customers don't want to sign up for card. Mangers must be realestic about it. Same with replacement plan sales. No one wants to buy a four dollar warranty on a 7 dollar item. Also store is prone to theft, like most retail environments. Mangers will put blame on employees before excepting any responsibility as an attempt not to not look bad to district mangers,

Don't be so aggressive with customers about singing up for cards and Replacement Plans. It Honestly it angers customers when they feel like there being pressured into something. Also be more realistic and understanding of employee needs.

Sports Authority cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Milford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Milford, MA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Flexible with schedules and the managers work with you so that you have as much authority as possible within your position. They want you to be the best at what you do.

Cons

It's retail... customers can be difficult and you have to bite your tongue a lot. Payroll shortages can be irritating when your hours get cut and there is minimal communication between managers about shift changes.

Horrible

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on goods, but very low end merchandise.

Cons

Horrible management and core values.

Keep up with retail sales of your competitors.

Fun college job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and easy to get full time

Cons

Retail jobs are very repetitive

More incentives for sales

Formerly great, now downright terrible

Current Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good discount, flexible hours, and your fellow co-workers make the days a little better.

Cons

Company keeps requiring more from stores and it's employees but continues to give them less and less support. For example, they want us to treat every customer like they are royalty but our payroll budget keeps shrinking. So a 40,000 square foot store is lucky to have 3 people working in it. How are we supposed to help customers when we have no employees?! They require so much but give us no tools to succeed.

All district managers and above should be required to work one week as a store manager. Write the schedules within the confines of the payroll budget, get product to the floor, while not neglecting customers at the same time, and keep up all the sales metrics the store requires. That way they can see the troubles we face day to day. Maybe then when we ask for advice on how to accomplish things we'll get a better response than "Just get it done!" No leadership or guidance whatsoever.

DO NOT APPLY TO BE A CASHIER!! Bad pay for same work as others.......

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, Okay benefits when full time. Okay money if you are a MANGER

Cons

A lot, can't work over 40 hours. No overtime pay on holidays unless you are a full time. As a cashier you are forced by your mangers to talk people into buying protection plan on pointless stuff like basketballs worth $14.00 when plans start at $4.00 for one year. Its understand on big price treadmills, sunglass, gopro's, etc Then you NEED to ask for loyalty card if not sign them up or unless you get yelled at. As a cashier 30% of your raise is based off the percent of signs you have, to be a cash lead you need to be above 40% of all times. They except you to work your butt off when you are getting paid the same as the person on the floor doing nothing but helping people find stuff. You deal with cash, phone calls, protect plans, loyalty signs up, greeting people, returns and exchanges, incorrect price signs, BUT the person on the floor has to deal with people needing to find a specific product or small task one at a time. Cashiers do twice the amount of work as the people on the floor but they get paid same money. DO NOT APPLY FOR CASHIER JOB.

Realize that everyday is not going to be perfect and instead of pushing your employees by yelling at them over the walkie, how bout you get on the floor and join us. When a manger is asked by an employee because a customer is mad or wants to talk to you, don't say you are on break. Get off your butt and go. You once were in our position you should know how it is.

Cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Cool job, cool customers for the most part. Its pretty easy and my boss is easy to work with.

Cons

I hate my coworkers. I don't get paid enough and most of us only get 1 day a week. It doesn't even feel like a real job.

N/A

Typical Sales Environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than a year)

Pros

At the time I was working, the employees that working with me were pretty nice, but not necessarily good workers.

Cons

The pay was low, the manager was horrible (called out employees for small errors in front of customers), the Thanksgiving hours were heart-breaking and there was no room for growth unless you wanted to be the front-end manager. Poor morale, poor environment.

MORALE is the key to keeping good employees. Try being sincere and personal and take care of yourself, too. Make work fun, pull people aside to talk to them instead of raging in public. Watch your sarcasm.

It was "all right"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD (US)

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

easy work, good co-workers, aside from that not much else

Cons

they only hire part-time employees and the number of hours you get is based on how many people you sign up for their loyalty program.

stop micro-managing, stop allowing customers to return anything regardless of the condition of the item or if they do not have a receipt, it is hurting your bottom line .