Sports Authority

Updated 16 October, 2014
Updated 16 October, 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that (in 55 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work in between other jobs

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great in store discount, cost plus 15%
    Online discount of 25% off
    Not hard work

Cons

Average first job or second job pay, can't live off it
    Not a lot of room for growth
    Company policy to make everyone work the day of thanksgiving and Christmas , also makes you work two days before and after each holiday. They threaten to fire you if you aren't okay with it
    District managers need to be nicer and not wreck the store if it's not up to their standards
    Always end up staying longer then your shift

Fix hours, pay a little more and don't tell me people when they can and can not take off if more people are needed make room in payroll to hire more.

OK, if you want to have a chill job

Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, great discounts, about 45%-70% depending on the product. Good if you just want to make a little money while you go to school, not too demanding. Also Decent sales experience. As long as you talk to the customer and ask them questions on what they need, give them something you think will help you'll do fine. Your number really don't Matter until you become a leader.

Cons

When season hits you typically stay until 2 in the morning picking up the store. On Black Friday we spent the whole night before organizing. Just to stay the next night until 3 in the morning cleaning it all up. ECP is annoying because they are always on top of you to sell it, and you get a sense of accomplishment when you do, but then you begin to realize that sense of accomplishment is out of fear of not selling ECP and the managers getting on your case. Not because you got some reward. So you begin to get annoyed when they bring it up. If you want to make money here you have to have another job period. Most associates besides the Leaders get no more than 18 hour work weeks and I believe this to be due to the high amount of associates.

higher Pay, Less Associates to accommodate higher amount of hours per associate. This will bring turnover rates down.

Tasks outweigh on-hand help

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun environment
    - Good location
    - Benefits packages
    - Training programs

If you're into sports and looking for a part-time job, especially as a student in college, this is a good start. Most of the staff are friendly and try to keep the workplace fun.

Cons

- Very early hours (3am-11am shifts, typically)
    - Not enough staff
    - Not much cross-department training
    - Demands from upper level corporate management look at what stores need to do across the board, rather than looking individually at each store to see where problem areas lie

We ran into an issue where we weren't making our sales goals, and therefore hours for all employees were cut. The issue was when big department changes would occur, our store was responsible for getting the same amount of work done in the same time as stores with lots of help and extra hours. It became a game of picking what was important on a day-to-day basis, and trying to do the best for each day. Inevitably, if you did tasks A through X, you wouldn't hear, "Congrats on getting A through X done with such little help." You'd hear, "Why aren't Y and Z done," and then be brought into the back for a scolding.

Every associate, in my department and others, complained about not having enough time and support to do anything, and when it would get brought up in floor meetings, it seemed to be brushed off in the hopes it would magically change.

- Don't get upset at a department because you have to come in and help them to finish a task. Get upset at the instructions for being too much for that department to handle with their on-hands in the first place.
    - Spend more money on extra help before you need it. Having available associates on the floor in every department at all time and in those early mornings where merchandise and planograms are being worked is a necessity. Even if you don't have the money to spend, increasing that productivity early on will actually make you more money because people will enjoy shopping there more.

Sales Authority

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy retail job. Great people to work with.

Cons

No room for growth. The benefits are not great.

better compensation.

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, Great discount, and Good products

Cons

Pay is below average for the high pressure sales required by corporate
    Not much upward mobility in terms of career

Pay employees more or lower expectations of sales numbers

Sales Floor Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit package is acceptable for employees and family

Cons

Upper Management changes happen often

I enjoy working at Sports Authority, Corporate office

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Culture is very good, management makes you feel appreciated for your hard work. Very good benefits such as health/dental, great retail discounts, onsite gym, yoga and pilates classes midday, Friday Summer hours program is nice to be able to leave at noon for the mountains, etc. The Employee Thanks program is unique and helps to provide a positive attitude around the office. There is also an active number of sports teams and leagues at SA.

Cons

Some of the software applications should be upgraded or changed.

Keep it up. The message from the top is spot on.

Sporting Goods

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Discount - Fun atmosphere - Its sporting goods after all

Cons

Can be high pressure - Sometimes lack of hours

Improved management and great people.

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with on my team were wonderful. The office culture in Planning, Allocation and Replenishment improved a lot when the upper management changed. There was more attention on training and leadership. The discount is the best in the business. Transparency from upper management had greatly improved. Health benefits were good.

Cons

The pay wasn't great. They are the largest corporate retailer in the Denver area and figure you'll take whatever salary they offer in order to live in Denver. Some systems could use some updating. Vacation is still only 2 weeks for up to 5 years, which seems a little outdated to me. Good work life balance depends on which area you work in.

As a former planner, upper management should let us do the job we were paid for. As planners, we spent a lot of time and did a lot of analysis on monthly retrends and yearly plans. To then get a top down number from someone and be told to put in it with little to no explanation is beyond frustrating. Communication within certain departments was not great. In many meetings, you were put on the defensive instead of it being a collaborative working session.

Great People.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People and fun. People are very passionate about their job and company. Sports Authority corporate office is a fun place to work.

Cons

A lot of executive turnover and lower level employees are not paid market value.