Sports Authority

Updated 24 October, 2014
Updated 24 October, 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that (in 55 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Temporary or Student Job

Current Employee - Department Lead
    Current Employee - Department Lead

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is good at cost plus 10%. Working with sporting goods is a plus. Management is often flexible with schedules, which can be handy if you are a student or have another job. I enjoy most of my coworkers.

Cons

Expectations are not clear. Many managers are not skilled in their jobs, which causes teams to be not motivated. Another side effect is the lowering of morale. How many hours you get really depends on how busy the store is. Our payroll is small because we are slow meaning that a lot of the sales team only works a couple of 6 hours shifts per week.

Communicate with your store level employees better. Provide more opportunity for training and advancement.

Adequate minimum wage job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greeley, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greeley, CO (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with school schedule.
    Good training

Cons

Little incentive to move up.

Provide better sales perks

Sales Authority

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good job to sharpen your retail sales skills. The company also offers a great discount for their employees. If you love sports, then this is a great job.

Cons

With most retail jobs, your work/life experience is difficult to manage. You work long hours and almost every holidays. The compensation is not good unless you are upper management.

Not a bad place to work in between other jobs

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great in store discount, cost plus 15%
    Online discount of 25% off
    Not hard work

Cons

Average first job or second job pay, can't live off it
    Not a lot of room for growth
    Company policy to make everyone work the day of thanksgiving and Christmas , also makes you work two days before and after each holiday. They threaten to fire you if you aren't okay with it
    District managers need to be nicer and not wreck the store if it's not up to their standards
    Always end up staying longer then your shift

Fix hours, pay a little more and don't tell me people when they can and can not take off if more people are needed make room in payroll to hire more.

OK, if you want to have a chill job

Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, great discounts, about 45%-70% depending on the product. Good if you just want to make a little money while you go to school, not too demanding. Also Decent sales experience. As long as you talk to the customer and ask them questions on what they need, give them something you think will help you'll do fine. Your number really don't Matter until you become a leader.

Cons

When season hits you typically stay until 2 in the morning picking up the store. On Black Friday we spent the whole night before organizing. Just to stay the next night until 3 in the morning cleaning it all up. ECP is annoying because they are always on top of you to sell it, and you get a sense of accomplishment when you do, but then you begin to realize that sense of accomplishment is out of fear of not selling ECP and the managers getting on your case. Not because you got some reward. So you begin to get annoyed when they bring it up. If you want to make money here you have to have another job period. Most associates besides the Leaders get no more than 18 hour work weeks and I believe this to be due to the high amount of associates.

higher Pay, Less Associates to accommodate higher amount of hours per associate. This will bring turnover rates down.

Tasks outweigh on-hand help

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Burbank, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fun environment
    - Good location
    - Benefits packages
    - Training programs

If you're into sports and looking for a part-time job, especially as a student in college, this is a good start. Most of the staff are friendly and try to keep the workplace fun.

Cons

- Very early hours (3am-11am shifts, typically)
    - Not enough staff
    - Not much cross-department training
    - Demands from upper level corporate management look at what stores need to do across the board, rather than looking individually at each store to see where problem areas lie

We ran into an issue where we weren't making our sales goals, and therefore hours for all employees were cut. The issue was when big department changes would occur, our store was responsible for getting the same amount of work done in the same time as stores with lots of help and extra hours. It became a game of picking what was important on a day-to-day basis, and trying to do the best for each day. Inevitably, if you did tasks A through X, you wouldn't hear, "Congrats on getting A through X done with such little help." You'd hear, "Why aren't Y and Z done," and then be brought into the back for a scolding.

Every associate, in my department and others, complained about not having enough time and support to do anything, and when it would get brought up in floor meetings, it seemed to be brushed off in the hopes it would magically change.

- Don't get upset at a department because you have to come in and help them to finish a task. Get upset at the instructions for being too much for that department to handle with their on-hands in the first place.
    - Spend more money on extra help before you need it. Having available associates on the floor in every department at all time and in those early mornings where merchandise and planograms are being worked is a necessity. Even if you don't have the money to spend, increasing that productivity early on will actually make you more money because people will enjoy shopping there more.

Sales Floor Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit package is acceptable for employees and family

Cons

Upper Management changes happen often

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, Great discount, and Good products

Cons

Pay is below average for the high pressure sales required by corporate
    Not much upward mobility in terms of career

Pay employees more or lower expectations of sales numbers

I enjoy working at Sports Authority, Corporate office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Culture is very good, management makes you feel appreciated for your hard work. Very good benefits such as health/dental, great retail discounts, onsite gym, yoga and pilates classes midday, Friday Summer hours program is nice to be able to leave at noon for the mountains, etc. The Employee Thanks program is unique and helps to provide a positive attitude around the office. There is also an active number of sports teams and leagues at SA.

Cons

Some of the software applications should be upgraded or changed.

Keep it up. The message from the top is spot on.

Sporting Goods

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Discount - Fun atmosphere - Its sporting goods after all

Cons

Can be high pressure - Sometimes lack of hours