Sports Authority

www.sportsauthority.com

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers(in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach(in 31 reviews)

• There is extreme pressure to sell their Extended Coverage Plans and Insoles, both of which are useless for customers(in 15 reviews)

Very good yet incredibly boring.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Warwick, RI (US)

ProsI loved working in Team Sports, loved helping customers and being able to use my sports knowledge in an effort to help customers. They dont ask much from associates other than to simply approach customers and at least try and make some sales, which is not terribly difficult when people are mindlessly staring at random products. Loved the benefits of working there, good hours, great managers.

ConsIncredibly boring when no.customers are present. Often spent my time playing street hockey in the aisles or bouncing tennis balls for hours. Had a 36 hour sale once and had three customers come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket better.

Felt Betrayed From Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun coworkers...it was easy to make friends, good
    Environment, and decent hours. MOST of the managers were nice and cared for your safety. There was a manager who made sure my ride came to get me at night and for the most part everyone asked me how my day was going. They seemed to care for my well being. SOME.

ConsWhen I first started, everything was fine. I was hired as seasonal but was brought back a few months later as permanent work. When I came back management was a little different which was not an issue to me since it looked like they promoted from within the store! But things quickly turned bad.

I was mainly the closer and had to take care of the fitting rooms and clothing. There were NO REGARDS to what time you left. Your shift might say 2-1030 but be looking at getting off around 11 or 1130. I was constantly doing overtime because we all had to leave the store together, which meant EVERY department needed to be clean and ready for anyone to leave. I don't mind overtime here and there but not every night. If we had someone coming in from HQ to check out the place, then expect to be there until midnight because they clean the night BEFORE. instead we should have the whole week leading up to clean or just keep the place looking good all the time. Too much scrambling.

When I was told that I was going to learn to check when it got busy, I was excited since I have never used a cash register before!! But that quickly went away when I needed help on the register. One manager was so irritated with me asking ONE question about a return that she just gave me SO MUCH attitude and basically rolled her eyes at me...she didn't help me at all and I just asked another cashier who was very helpful. I never went up to her again for anything after that.

I realize most stores have this policy where we are not allowed to confront someone who is stealing but my coworker and I caught someone and did what we were told and that was to give GREAT customer service and we constantly checked up on the person ("Are You Finding Everything Ok?"
    Do You Need Help?" Etc.) to show them that we were being attentive. We communicated this to other employees and management so we all knew what was happening. Of course the guy walked out with merchandise because we don't call the cops or whatever. So that night when we were all discussing the situation, one of the "lead" cashiers made a Snarky remark that if we had given the guy good customer service then he wouldn't have done it. Needless to say she was trying to assert herself where it wasn't needed and throughout my stay at Sports Authority she made more comments like this directed to me.

The breaking point for me was when I almost got 3 write ups in ONE WEEK. My first was when my drawer was short some small amount and the second was when my drawer was short again...which I felt was suspicious since the "lead" cashier seemed to have it out for me but managers know best. Then my third almost happened when I accepted a store coupon without attaching a receipt...I wasn't told I needed to do this and was basically interrogated about who told me it was ok to not attach a receipt!! I felt horrible but I told them who trained me (which training was literally 30 minutes) and they had to talk to the person about what I did. They said they'll let it slide this one time but next time id be written up!! After that I never wanted to cashier again.

It was sad because I really had my heart set out for this place and it hurt me to give my 2 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease get everyone on the same page and try to be more diligent on training! If you're willing to write someone up that's new for something they weren't taught, then there's a flaw in the system. Change is good but if one person is this way and another is that way then there's so balance. Also find people who are willing to help. No one new wants to feel like they're being a pain or bother for asking questions!! Also there should be a daily check list for everyone to do so that people aren't stuck in the store before an auditor until midnight cleaning. If it was a daily thing then the night before someone from HQ comes in, it should just be the finishing touches.

The experience was very good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe prose are there is a Flexible staff, with a very good good atmosphere, and lots of team work. Very cooperative leadership.

ConsThe cons to working here would be the salaries are not competitive for a career, unless you climb the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep all staff happy and wanting to strive for a great store.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical retail job, good if you know and love sports

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood customer service, fun atmosphere

Consforced too conservative dress, forced upsell

ok place to work at

ProsGood employee discount and the hourly pay is above minimum wage plus commission to give employees incentive to sell more

Consinconsistent work schedule and hours, will have 40 hours one week and 24 hours the next

It's like playing for a team

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood coworkers, competitive environment, decent pay, ok hours, fun products to sell

ConsRecovering for the night was tough because of huge store, management iffy

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect employees more

Overworked due to cutbacks

Asset Protection Department (Former Employee)

ProsNice corporate office
    Long term managers

ConsLarge cutbacks to make the company more profitable made it hard to complete your work in less than 50 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many changes at once due to poor leadership in the past

Doesn't value work life balance

Department Lead (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGreat hours working at the distribution center!

ConsChanges to schedule quite frequently with no notice.

Great place to work if you enjoy sports people.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA strong focus on doing things the right way; more merchandising freedom than at most big box retailers due to the seasonality. New CEO seems to care about people.

ConsUnrealistic budgets make it difficult to earn much bonus. The big stores get loaded with merchandise but the smaller ones are starved for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandise the smaller stores deeper in certain categories and get out of others.

Loyal and competitive within their competition and throughout the retail market.

Operations Team Leader (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsNew CEO who I finally feel "gets it" in this competitive industry. Great first job and always an opportunity to move up within the company. Great employee discount, cost +15% from what Sports Authority pays for the product.

ConsBiggest challenge I have noticed being in management with Sports Authority. Payroll always is an issue, employee turnover rate has never been very good. The most successful and pleasurable store managers to work for, are younger! 30-40's. The older generation of retail store managers have to go. I have worked with Sports Authority for 8 years and this seems to be more and more visible throughout the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really goes further than direct department and store management. It starts with the district manager, he at the end of the day has the most say in who and where your managers end up. Unless Sports Authority as a whole learns how to train and develop more young people throughout the company things will never change. Like any company their are alot of political aspects in alot of personal decisions. Which quickly shows throughout the associates and the stores productivity, good, bad or in different.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!