Spartan Motors

Spartan Motors President, CEO, and Director John E. Sztykiel

John E. Sztykiel

Adding Top Heavy Employees, Cutting the Rest

I worked at Spartan Motors full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat insurance benefits, most departments shut down for the holiday break. Opportunity to take on different roles as they cut positions and switch people around. The severance package was good!

ConsWhich day will be your last one. Does your area fit into the manufacturing world. Are you on a marketing team or a leverage team, makes a big world of difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seemed like a ship without a rudder.

An organization that has lost its way

I worked at Spartan Motors full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA good place to gain experience in the heavy truck business. Engineers can gain a broader level of experience than larger truck OEMs. Engineers can get experience with suppliers, hands-on design, project engineering, and manufacturing. The custom environment is a challenge. Systems integration is a core focus. Still some very good people in this organization.

ConsThe cons are management. Management has tried to make more out of the emergency vehicle business than it really is. It is still a homegrown industry. They have alienated their OEM appartus customers who are responding in kind. Management failed to recognize the industry transition from Class A to Class C motorhome chassis and now have no solution. The handling and sale of Road Rescue ensures an inability to compete with Pierce on many levels. The acquistion of Utilimaster is a failure in terms of Chassis division being able to supply chassis which was one of the key points. Utilimaster R&D and Engineering Management have large egos while in reality the overall engineering department is mostly a collection of engineering designers. Chassis has a reluctance to do low volume / high margin custom chassis work. The Isuzu assembly work is beneath the organization and obviously is nothing more than revenue work from financials.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Shareholders, this organization has been taken over by automotive people with zero background in this style of vehicle business other than as component suppliers. The best situation is a complete Board and Senior Management overhaul. A sell to a larger OEM such as Navistar is probably the best solution at this point. A homegrown turnaround will take 5-10 years and is very unlikely. Most of the BOD is interested in Spartan Motors for their own personal gain. The old truck guys have left.

Never know if you are a valued employee.

I have been working at Spartan Motors

ProsGood health benefits, nice people, good systems.

ConsFew opportunities for advancement, hold on pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the Product, not the bottom line.

Used to be proud of the company and what they were doing.

I worked at Spartan Motors

ProsGreat people to work with
Decent compensation and benefits
Products make a difference in the lives of the user
Not too big, not too small

ConsPeople no longer matter, bottom line is most important
Customer quickly becoming secondary to stock price
There has been a culture change over that past several years that has shifted the company from the values that it was founded upon

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledging that the bottom line is important, superior product and people will deliver far better results in the long run than a short-term, quarter to quarter management strategy. Strive to be excellent rather than average. Morale is in the tank right now and if something doesn't correct that, the company will be damaged as a result. Why would anyone give their best if they are concerned if the job they have will be there next week?

A business that has issues sustaining itself over hte long haul

I have been working at Spartan Motors

ProsForty to forty five hours per week,

ConsLeadership thats do as I say not as I do. Leaders that dont lead by example

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example

Not What it used to be

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spartan Motors

ProsIn general there is a fair amount of flexibility at Spartan Motors.

ConsWhen it come to getting your annual performance review management is more concerned about ensuring everybody is paid the same. Hence, ensuring that the more motivated employees do not receive much for a merit increase so they do not outpace the lower motivated employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it long enough to know if it is good or bad.

Not a great place to work.

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Spartan Motors

ProsSmall company, easy to find and talk to the people that you need to know to get the job done.

ConsBecause its a small company, little "clicks" of people are formed, and sometimes that can be detrimental when it comes time to promote or even get a fair review on your performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou put rules into place that you do not follow. If you are going to make rules, follow them consistently, otherwise don't bother. Also, the rules that apply to the people out on the floor ALSO apply to the leadership. I could not believe all the "ethical" talk that was touted there, only to see upper management thumb their noses at it time after time. That's a sure-fire way to decrease morale and motivation.

Work review

Electrical Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spartan Motors

ProsThe people are great. They are some of the best people to work with. Everyone is willing to help with anything at work or home if needed. Family atmosphere.

ConsPay is not what I expected. Chance of advancement seems poor at the present time. Not being challenged enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employees in mind as an investment. Make sure they advance and feel good about where they work. Don't think of company advancement without them.

Worked for Spartan Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spartan Motors reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Spartan Motors CEO John E. Sztykiel. All 8 reviews are posted anonymously by Spartan Motors employees.