Spansion Reviews

Updated 22 August, 2014

2.7

Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert
John H. Kispert

Pros
  • Also, there was a good work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The employees seem to have diminishing faith and confidence in the company because of numerous lay-offs (in 5 reviews)

• no benefits, no bonus, conventional (no WFHs), longer promotion cycle, not willing to take risks at all, random shutdowns (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be better!

I have been working at Spansion

Pros

Smart Management, good people, and pay is okay.

Cons

Lack of resources, very process oriented, and very little to no internal growth opportunities

Great place to work

Current Employee - Applications Engineer  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative coworkers, good pay, reasonable expectations, excellent manager. I am allowed to do my job without much meddling from others. There is a high level of trust. Likewise, I trust my managers to do what's right.

Cons

Honestly, not much. I have held a number of jobs in this industry. I guess the only thing I can say is less than stellar HR, seems like it's outsourced, but the limited contact I have with HR, this is no big deal. We no longer have mandated time off and that's good.

Keep focus on what we do well

Great

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer

I worked at Spansion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to relax. Good culture. Not work pressure

Cons

Did get much from working there...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is ok company

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Peoples working here are friendly

Cons

there are many changes in last several years

n/a

Financial Analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Spansion as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Staffs are friendly and casual. Workload is less and not required to work OT.There's a gym and you can go whenever you want.

Cons

Bad training scheme, you have to pick everything up by your own. Managers are busy and do not have extra time to teach you.

Fantastic for very many years but too many layoffs

Former Employee - Module Shift Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Module Shift Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Spansion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are. Mature systems in a mature fab and everything is in full production mode. Lots of very intelligent, creative engineering talent here. Everybody there knows their job and do it exceptionally well. CEO did a remarkable job post bankruptcy especially keeping the company profitable.

Cons

Echo what somebody else said about little to no opportunities for growth in management specifically. Every upper level manager has been there for several years making it difficult for anybody to take those positions. Aging work force although not sure if that's a bad thing. Bonuses were an interesting exercise in futility. There didn't seem to be much visibility to what exactly needed to be done to get them. Forced distribution for employee ranking (quarterly and annually), while a common thing for most companies, didn't make much sense for a company that already had an extremely lean work force. They've gutted so many employees that most of the "low performers" were really average performers that just got screwed by the idea that a company has to have 10-15% of the employees be ranked into the lowest performance tier.

Get rid of the forced distribution. There's not much point in gutting the company any more. Bring in and mentor younger talent.

If you can make your manager happy, you get promoted quickly and paid well.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People are very nice here.
    Pay is good for Sr. level and above.

Cons

Stressful, no work life balance. A lot of politics. CEO seems don't care about his employees, too many cuts. High turn-over.

People are the most valuable assets of a company. That's the reason why a lot of startups do well at the begining, then fall apart when the top management gets greedier and greddier.

A dying company with NO plans for expanding in the US

Current Employee - Insignificant Employee  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Insignificant Employee in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, for my position, is very good.

Cons

Very dangerous, outdated, factory. Most, if not all, safety protocols are ignored, or bypassed. It's all about manufacturing. Doesn't care about safety or well being of employees. I know people who have lost parts of fingers, had hands crushed, exposed to acids, and more. Management doesn't even ask them if they are ok. They are only concerned with trying to cover their own butts. They immediately conduct a" 5 why" investigation. On one occasion a person was hurt, and a 5 why investigation was performed. Years later the machine still has interlocks bypassed, undocumented changes, outdated specs, broken panels that protect from acid exposure, and I could go on.

Safety is for filling out documentation to provide the illusion of safe working environment to customers and government regulators.

Most demeaning place I've ever worked. It is a good ole boy place where The "click" is promoted. In my position people have Bachelors of Science degrees, licenses, certifications, ex-military, patents, and more. Some are promoted without ANY prior school, experience, or professional training. Needless to say we are treated like we are cashiers at a hotdog stand. NO RESPECT! Everyone is looked upon as the person with no professional training. In reality, many people in this situation have more experience, and school than management. So, I guess the idea is to demean and marginalized others to keep themselves on top.

Also, this place seems to encourage trash talking. People scoff, roll eyes, yell, make fun of you in meetings. It's really unbelievable! Very disappointing when you consider this is a " high tech" semiconductor company.

Get it together before someone is killed. You surely don't want that?!?!?

Have made too many cuts.

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great, employees, technology and business strategy. Recent Fujitsu acquisition will extend life of Fab, increase revenue and expand product portfolio.

Cons

Very low on employees, limited career opportunities, very little L&D outside of the Fab. Mid level management does not seem to be focused on the long term.

Invest more in employees

Great until the Chapter 11

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I have been working at Spansion full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary, CEO is excellent

Cons

hard to lose so many friends

Don't forget about the people side of things - new products are cool, but they are made by your people

Worked for Spansion? Contribute to the Community!