Sovran Self Storage

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert J. Attea

Be careful.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSelf storage is a great industry.

ConsWhen a small grows into a large company it can be very painful.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great company to work for

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, NJ (US)

ProsHour lunch break, great support from home office. Holidays off. Decent salary and benefits for full time employees

ConsThere are not many cons for this company. The budgets and reviews can be very tough to make. There is a lot of work keep up facilities.

Horrible work environment

Associate Manager II (Former Employee)

ProsDecent hours. Good vacation time

ConsVery political.

I worked as an associate manager at one of the store locations and you have no rights whatsoever. Manager gets credit for everything while associates who did all the work get nothing. But when something goes inadvertently wrong, it is automatically the associate manager's fault. It is all about who likes you and not on the good work that you do. Good work does not get recognized and upper management and corporate will always side with the manager. Always....the associate is always wrong. Your bonus is dictated by how much they like you, not by the actual work you do...hence the manager usually takes 85% of the bonus in my experience.

To get ahead in the company one needs to be a suck up to upper management. If you don't do this you will get nowhere.

High turnover rate. I was hired during an acquisition and had at least 10 other new hires along with me to work at the stores. By the time I left I was the only new hire employee left as many of the individuals did the smart thing and quit or they didn't kiss up to upper management and got let go. Many people have come and gone during my year there and everyone has bad things to say about the work environment.

Manager would schedule associate manager by him/herself on high traffic days (usually at the beginning and end of each month)

Non competitive pay. Other storage companies pay much better.

I would never work for this company again and wouldn't want anyone I care about working here. Horrible corrupt people that take credit for everything, make the innocent person(s) look incompetent and the unhealthy work environment promotes animosity towards others. AVOID!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers that encourage their associates to do better. With their current mentality I, including many others just stop caring after a while. Training should be better implemented with hands on experience rather than reading through a giant binder. Ive had questions and concerns about what to do on some occasions and my manager kept referring me to the training binder, rather than teaching me himself. That is not a good leader.
    Have HR actually listen to the lowly associates as many instances have gone ignored due to our title.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

nice

Prosenvironment is a good place

Conshours are long but fair

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Heaven or hell

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a day job great for parents. A set schedule and lunch. It can be fun if you manage your time properly. If you have a manager that you get along with it can be heaven. But good communication is essential here.

ConsGod help you if you and your manager don't get along. Associate managers have no support whatsoever as far as you're concerned the manager is sovran. My area manager told me on my first day of training if I can solve a problem do so myself don't call him unless it's absolutely necessary. On a day to day my manager uses profanity and acts inappropriate at work. My training was terrible and confusing they basically handed me a book and said do you know it yet?

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy are the managers not being evaluated on treating their associates fairly? Why are trainers being paid and put up in hotels if they can't thoroughly explain what's going on? Why do store managers schedule new employees alone in a store on high traffic days? It's really problematic.

The best job I have ever worked with and for,

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) Williamsville, NY (US)

ProsManagment team is wonderful, supportive, CARING, bonus every month and quarterly. 3 weeks paid time off after one day service. GREAT benefits and overall the best place to work and grow. within months you can be promoted to different area.. Wonderful place to wake up and go to each day,

ConsSitting at a desk with scheduled breaks and lunches are difficult to get used to if your not used to being on a TIGHT schedule, other wise NOTHING negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing, great job with taking the time to grow every employee to their max ability and their full potential

long hours for short pay.

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosfree housing for employees which saves you money

Consthey definitely do not pay you enough not even close

Advice to Senior Managementtreat you employees better, know their names

Worked for Sovran Self Storage? Contribute to the Community!