Southwestern Advantage

www.southwesternadvantage.com
Employer Engaged

Personal Growth WILL occur

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Cave City, KY (US)
    Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Cave City, KY (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Grew personally, learned a lot about people and sales

Cons

no time to yourself except for when you're working. You burn out quickly! It was not good for my health afterwards.

It was the hardest work that I would never want to do again

Former Employee - First Year Seller in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - First Year Seller in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great lessons on attitude, hard work and dealing with rejection and failure

Cons

13+ hour work days, no support during the week and too much driving

Yes, it is worth the committment

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Great success skills learned and you will never regret it.

Cons

Potentially poor leadership if organization leaders are motivated by units more than student growth.

Lester Crafton's groups seem to be the happiest employees

Best internship you can get while on school

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage part-time

Pros

Great collective
    Amazing training
    very good personal compensation
    you acquire good working habits

Cons

not for everybody
    long working hours - 80h+

get more to know what you are selling and less focus on profit

Best internship to do while in college

Former Intern - Salesperson/Student Manager in Johnstown, PA (US)
    Former Intern - Salesperson/Student Manager in Johnstown, PA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

meet some of the best, hard working and motivated young people. This internship really prepare you for life after college and gives you the tools and intangibles to be successful. You are you're own boss and get out what you put in(experience, profit, etc.). President, CEO, Executives and managers are all really approachable and down to earth.

Cons

really long hours but you are not forced to work them. Although they are necessary to be successful in this internship

Great work! Continue to look for ways to expand the company

My Southwestern DISadvantage "Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I learned to stop being so trusting of people, especially recruiters.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin when thinking back when I thought I had accepted an "internship" at the end of my freshman year. My recruiter was charming, and painted a much different picture of what my summer selling books would be like. Let's just say, I arrived at Sales School and discovered the cult I was talked into being a part of. After a week of brainwashing, I left for my "HQ" in Kentucky where I was going to live with 2 peers and 1 student leader. My manager lived about an hour away from me in another house with a few other team members. The house I stayed in was barely livable and smelled of dog pee. I had to wake up at 6 am and couldn't return to the HQ til 11 pm. My territory to sell was in the rural area of Kentucky in 100 degree weather. I left before my first week finished and my only regret is attending the first info session when I first got lured into the scheme. I didn't believe all of the bad reviews until I got to experience it for myself. For those of you reading my post, you've been warned.

I would give constructive criticism here, but when I think about it, upper management is clever. They hire naive, broke college kids who are desperate for job opportunities. Then, they talk up the program, lie to the poor kids and parents, and isolate the candidates away from their support system. Meanwhile, the upper management sit pretty in their cubicles, offices, and air conditioned buildings. Well played.

Southwestern Advantage Response

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

Please give us a call to talk about your experience. I would like to know more. Trey Campbell, 888-602-7867

Perfect for those who are willing to step outside their comfort zone

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern

Pros

Absolute dedication will yield enourmous results from a personal and financial point of vies.

Cons

Its a 24/7 job for 12 weeks.

None

learn life skills, but at a cost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Cons

pay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

when i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

Sw Advantage taught me success principles at an early age that helped me develop better habits and thought processes.

Former Intern - Salesperson/Student Manager
    Former Intern - Salesperson/Student Manager

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best training around. The leaders of this company really take an interest in nurturing young minds and making leaders out of each person. I have never met a more charismatic leader than Dan Moore; his philosophies and empathy are awe-inspiring.

Cons

It is incredibly hard, every aspect of every job in this company. Some people don't like to step outside the box and work tirelessly toward a goal. I don't see this as a con for the company, but more something that some people find intolerable.

A job not everyone can do

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Ewing, NJ (US)
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Ewing, NJ (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I really like that the company gives college kids the opportunity to run their own business and potentially make a lot of money. You'll also get the chance to make a lot of really good friends, meet a lot of cool people and even meet and keep in touch with families you otherwise would've never met.

Cons

It's definitely a job that takes a certain kind of person to finish. You'll have to be very independent and be able to keep yourself motivated and positive throughout the day. You'll get a lot of doors slammed on you but you have to keep positive and go on to the next one on your own.

I wish there was free housing so that we didn't have to worry about paying rent while being on commission only.

Southwestern Advantage Photos