Southwestern Advantage

Updated 16 September, 2014
4.4

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to make a lot of money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 19 reviews)

• 80 hours a week through torrential downpour or blistering heat waves during the summer (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Cult Company! Do not fall for their trap! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! YOU WILL DIE!!!

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People will be impressed that you actually did this job, on your next interview. Or they will think you are stupid for falling for it.

Cons

Everything. 80+ hour workweek. The place is a cult. All the positive reviews are by people who have been brainwashed. You have no free time and are treated terribly by team leaders. They disregard your safety and wellbeing. Can be put in dangerous areas/situations. Can lose money if you don't sell enough because of transportation/gas money, if you do operate out of a car (as opposed to on foot or bike). They encourage you to basically go the whole summer without eating a real meal. Talk about 1 minute showers in the morning. No base salary/pay.

Find a new business model. Stop ripping off college kids and putting them in harm's way. Focus on the product itself. Or just give up on business, all businesses have a life cycle and Southwestern's is clearly over.

Great experience to learn and gain skills that will help you succeed in life

Former Employee - Student Manager  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible work environment, great people, awesome mentors.

Cons

this is based off opinion

Miniature Cult

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Gives you great experiences
    Puts you out of your comfort zone

Cons

Pay is based solely on commission, less than 30%
    No downtime for anything else

Be more honest about how much you can earn during a summer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Life Changing

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Great people, the best training ever! Working as a student dealer was one of best decisions I ever made, Southwestern gives you a chance through their program to gain true confidence, emotional and mental toughness, and to be a part of an elite fraternity.

Cons

Can be hard to leave due to the relationships and culture.

People before profit is what made Southwestern the company it is, at the end of the day without the people as Spencer would say we would have no company. Advise: Stop listening to accountants who never built a business and focus on the talented good people and empower them to bring Southwestern back to it's glory.

Long-hard days that help you know yourself and your limits

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Joplin, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cold-calling, work-ethic, entrepreneurship, push you to the limit every day, sales pitch given to you, get in shape and a tan

Cons

On your own, they do not care about each individual except the high earners, home-life depends on the people they put you with, the full cost of the program is not disclosed until you are forced to pay

Not worth the time and money

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Looks good on a resume
    You will work harder than you ever thought possible and finish your summer feeling very accomplished
    I wasn't even close to a top producer and didn't buy into the cult-like mantras, etc., and I still made great money

Cons

Greatly exaggerate how many kids actually break even/make any money at all
    Unrealistic work schedule- I slipped a disk in my back and couldn't walk, but was berated by my manager for not putting in 80 hours that week
    You only have one day off per week, but you spend most of that day in meetings
    Hidden costs- you have to buy receipts, training materials, etc.
    Cult-like company culture- you're made to feel like if you aren't succeeding, it's because you're deficient in personal qualities (hard work, motivation, etc.)

Please be realistic about what the day-to-day job looks like in the early stages of the recruiting process and be honest about the expenses that they will incur (gas, training materials, etc.); these often make it hard for employees to even break even, let alone earn money

Being a salesperson is very tough.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

You can make some money.

Cons

They take the life out of you.

A huge growing experience

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

The number one reason to work at SW is to run your own business and learn the nature of the people of the United States.

Cons

It is the hardest thing i have ever done four summers in a row. Long hours and time alone.

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Grove City, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Grove City, OH (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

Cons

Must make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

Real Deal about Southwestern Advantage

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Your communication skills will enhance incredibly, your network with other people will grow, your resume will improve and you'll stand out amongst your peers

Cons

It will be very challenging for you, travel away from friends and family during the summer

Only recruit someone if you truly believe that they will do well. The more honest you are on the front end the easier it will be to train someone for success in the program.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!