Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros
  • The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped(in 9 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to make a lot of money(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions(in 19 reviews)

• 80 hours a week through torrential downpour or blistering heat waves during the summer(in 13 reviews)

Not worth the time and money

Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsLooks good on a resume
    You will work harder than you ever thought possible and finish your summer feeling very accomplished
    I wasn't even close to a top producer and didn't buy into the cult-like mantras, etc., and I still made great money

ConsGreatly exaggerate how many kids actually break even/make any money at all
    Unrealistic work schedule- I slipped a disk in my back and couldn't walk, but was berated by my manager for not putting in 80 hours that week
    You only have one day off per week, but you spend most of that day in meetings
    Hidden costs- you have to buy receipts, training materials, etc.
    Cult-like company culture- you're made to feel like if you aren't succeeding, it's because you're deficient in personal qualities (hard work, motivation, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be realistic about what the day-to-day job looks like in the early stages of the recruiting process and be honest about the expenses that they will incur (gas, training materials, etc.); these often make it hard for employees to even break even, let alone earn money

Long-hard days that help you know yourself and your limits

Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Joplin, MO (US)

ProsCold-calling, work-ethic, entrepreneurship, push you to the limit every day, sales pitch given to you, get in shape and a tan

ConsOn your own, they do not care about each individual except the high earners, home-life depends on the people they put you with, the full cost of the program is not disclosed until you are forced to pay

A huge growing experience

ProsThe number one reason to work at SW is to run your own business and learn the nature of the people of the United States.

ConsIt is the hardest thing i have ever done four summers in a row. Long hours and time alone.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be Ready to Work... A lot

Student Dealer/Direct Sales (Current Employee)

ProsOverall, it was a good experience. I learned a lot and finished as a top first year employee and even got the President's Club award.
    You have the opportunity to make a lot of money.
    It looks great on your resume.
    All expenses paid vacation for top performers.
    Got a lot of job offers from sister companies after I graduated college, but I didn't want to make a career in this type of environment.

Cons100+ hour work week if you want to be successful.
    Cult-like company culture (But a lot of good people).
    A lot of employers have never heard of the company, so you need to spend a lot of time explaining it on future interviews.
    The exaggerate how good their company looks on a resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management does a good job at training and keeping employees motivated. They just need to better explain that the job is very difficult and go into more detail on the day-to-day before hiring people.

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Grove City, OH (US)

ProsIncredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

ConsMust make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

I learned more with Southwestern than I did in college.

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

Pros-Earn what your worth
    -awesome incentive trips
    -great people and leaders
    -opportunity for promotion
    -real-world experience while your in college
    -opportunity to work a lot of hours

Cons-Away for the summer
    -No guarantees

Advice to Senior ManagementSouthwestern isn't for everyone and the management thinks the students should do it all the way through college and beyond. I honestly believe that every student in college with a good work ethic and drive wouldn't be able to spend their summer in a better way, however I don't believe it is a 4 year program for everyone.

Real Deal about Southwestern Advantage

District Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYour communication skills will enhance incredibly, your network with other people will grow, your resume will improve and you'll stand out amongst your peers

ConsIt will be very challenging for you, travel away from friends and family during the summer

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly recruit someone if you truly believe that they will do well. The more honest you are on the front end the easier it will be to train someone for success in the program.

Best College Experience in the United States!

Field Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsWorld-class sales and management training. Phenomenal mentors. Incredible opportunity to develop skills, habits and attitudes that opened many doors after leaving Southwestern!

ConsHard work. Sacrifice summers. Freedom and flexibility to determine own schedule. Requires an individual to continually test mental and emotional boundaries and step outside comfort zone.

best sales experience while in college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearn to work hard
    self motivation
    prospecting
    approaching
    sales cycle
    build own client base
    learn how to take rejection in sales

Consmust be willing to work hard to get results!

Opportunity mixed with difficulty

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Westfield, NJ (US)

ProsLearning practical strategies for discipline is fantastic, the communication coaching and experience is vital for success post-graduation. Real-life expectations, no babying, no guarantees and no limits. Learning how to overcome problems and maintain a positive attitude. Developing leadership skills. Amazing experience to put on a resume, though I don't intend to work for anyone else ever. This company started me on the entrepreneurial path to success and the principles I learned here will stick with me for the rest of my life. The senior management invests a ton of emotional energy in each student who works there and they have helped me to define a purpose for my life, set goals to get there and break those goals down into action steps. Plus I get free career counseling for life. I can only imagine where I would be if I had not made the decision to take a huge risk and go work HARD not at a job, but on myself.

ConsNegative perception of MLM companies by some people in society.
    Takes a lot of pain to grow.
    I have worked every summer, though that is hardly a con, since otherwise I would've wasted them hanging out with friends and not growing.
    Money is not guaranteed, you earn what you're worth.
    Raised expectations of my potential make every other job seem quite pale in comparison. (Hard to go back to a Mitsubishi after you've driven a Cadillac.)
    This job is NOT easy. If you are not willing to work hard and grow, you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementI respect and admire you all so much. Thank you for doing what you do and for helping young students like me to grow and develop our potential. I know of many students who say their lives were changed through this program.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!