Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros:
  • "You have the opportunity to make a lot of money"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Your communication skills increase dramatically"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hard-working, long hours, very tiring job, involving to put maximum effort"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Opportunity mixed with difficulty

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Westfield, NJ (US)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsLearning practical strategies for discipline is fantastic, the communication coaching and experience is vital for success post-graduation. Real-life expectations, no babying, no guarantees and no limits. Learning how to overcome problems and maintain a positive attitude. Developing leadership skills. Amazing experience to put on a resume, though I don't intend to work for anyone else ever. This company started me on the entrepreneurial path to success and the principles I learned here will stick with me for the rest of my life. The senior management invests a ton of emotional energy in each student who works there and they have helped me to define a purpose for my life, set goals to get there and break those goals down into action steps. Plus I get free career counseling for life. I can only imagine where I would be if I had not made the decision to take a huge risk and go work HARD not at a job, but on myself.

ConsNegative perception of MLM companies by some people in society.
Takes a lot of pain to grow.
I have worked every summer, though that is hardly a con, since otherwise I would've wasted them hanging out with friends and not growing.
Money is not guaranteed, you earn what you're worth.
Raised expectations of my potential make every other job seem quite pale in comparison. (Hard to go back to a Mitsubishi after you've driven a Cadillac.)
This job is NOT easy. If you are not willing to work hard and grow, you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementI respect and admire you all so much. Thank you for doing what you do and for helping young students like me to grow and develop our potential. I know of many students who say their lives were changed through this program.

This experience changed my life-seriously

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI interned with this company for two years in college and worked for them full-time for an additional two years. I could go on for days about the amount of growth you receive from this experience-both personally and professionally. It is a challenging work environment that helps you to exemplify your true work ethic to future employers through the experience you're able to put on your résumé. You also receive hours of thorough sales and management training that makes you more knowledgeable than most sales people with 15 years of experience. You develop an international network, travel the country and the world, and are lead by mangers who truly care about your goals, growth, and success.

ConsAs for the summer internship, it is the single best opportunity for motivated college students. It is work-based, so if you work harder than everyone else at your current waitressing job, you will most definitely excel at this if you apply the same work ethic.
The only "con" I experienced was that as a Corporate Recruiter, I struggled to maintain a good work-life balance and felt the need to constantly work around the clock. Other than that, yes it is a very challenging work environment but that is where the growth comes from. If work was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called work!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing to grow and adapt to the changing times!
Listen to your ASLs, FSLs, and CRs for valuable feedback! "Times" are not the same as they were "back in the day" when the DSMs were selling.

Could not have challenged myself more or put myself in the company of greater people. Game Changer.

Student Manager (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time for more than 5 years

ProsExtensive and continuous personal growth and improvement.
Build a deep foundation of skills and character
Supportive and encouraging environment of coworkers so will challenge and encourage you
Great opportunity for financial gain

ConsVery challenging and truly requires exceptional work and commitment
Not glamorous
Requires moving to a different state for the summer (negative for some)
Not conducive for maintaining romantic relationships without much sacrifice and understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in your employees, they are the future makers of America

Awesome growth and great relationships

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing growing opportunities - personal growth + resume.
Lots of support from sales managers and student managers.
Amazing leaders and role models
Phenomenal training on cycle of selling - prospecting, product knowledge, close.
Great transitional job between college and career.
Sky is the limit, great commission rate.
Great network of alumni looking to help one another.

ConsLong hours in selling and recruiting.
Product needs to improve, especially the online component.
Public relations - just nature of the job (direct selling), difficult to deal with people negatively talking about you on Facebook.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks Dan, Lee, Henry, and all the other leaders for caring a lot about the students you work with. Your leadership and example are amazing.

Wonderful leadership and amazing employee's

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe opportunity for personal growth is uncapped. The leadership and training is great.

ConsIf you do not work hard you won't make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

not a bad experience

Salesperson (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe job gives you the opportunity to see yourself clearly, especially your weaknesses. If you keep working your hardest, you will get a decent result.

ConsNot everyone is suitable for the kind of working environment. It may be rewarding but the working conditions could be really harsh. You spend a lot of time on tedious stuff and you may not get the kind of results that you thought you would get.

Advice to Senior Managementgood mentorship available management is good

No better way to develop professionally and personally than through a summer or two with Southwestern Advantage

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros- travel to a different part of the country (exchange program)
- great sales and marketing training from the best in the industry (over 100 hours of training)
- you earn 40% commission on all the products you sell plus monthly residual payments from their online website services
- get to meet some of the best people who will become some of your closest friends and future colleagues
- the managers really pour into you and care about you and your future
- increases your professional marketability to future employers

Cons- top students that make over $6,000 in the summer tend to work 80+ hours per week

Huge Growth, Huge Challenge,

Salesperson/Student Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

ProsSuper Positive energetic environment, good pay, supportive

ConsBe careful which "team" you get plugged into. They all have the same core values, but each goes about teaching them differently, and emphasizes different aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, and/or stick to what you say.

All work no play

Bookman (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Prosyou learn a lot about yourself, you meet new fun people. You also get good training and positive reinforcement.

ConsWhere to start...
You are a door to door salesman who is supposed to wake up by 5:59am Monday through Saturday and work until 10pm. 100% commission and you are away from friends and family. You are encouraged to wake up ppl in the morning and night. You will lose money if you are not good

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the RIDICULOUS hours for these kids and give them a base salary.

Summer of Craziness

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

ProsGood friends, the possibility of good money

ConsExtremely long hours, unsafe territory, inexperienced management, no guarantee of money

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the time to look after your first year before the summer starts

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwestern Advantage reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Southwestern Advantage CEO Henry Bedford. All 99 reviews are posted anonymously by Southwestern Advantage employees.