Southern States

Be The First To
Add Photos

Thomas R. Scribner

Salary Review

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGood work environment, fair pay, good benefits.

ConsNot many full time opportunities=.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis Carrboro location is under great management.

Great environment and at an entry level truck driver they teach you a lot

Driver (Current Employee) Preston, MD (US)

ProsI think for my area its one of the best paying jobs.

ConsIts Seasonal work only and that is the only con.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to show appreciation to your workers and you will continue to get their best.

Culture Problems

Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsCompany will promote if you work hard.

ConsThe culture is tough. HR won't deal with employees that don't pull their weight. As a result, the work falls on good people. Work long hours with poor life/work balance. The company has been shrinking for years. Good time off program if there are enough people to cover you while you're out (thinly staffed).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and talk to the employees to better understand what is going on. Realize the world and employees' expectations have changed. People want to feel valued, not just employed. Be more than a paycheck and benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working in the Stone Ages

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsThere's a lot of down time to hang out with your coworkers and watch the clock.

ConsThis company essentially operates the same way it did when it was established in the 1920's. Most employees have worked at the company for over 20 years and have no motivation to see the company grow and prosper. A majority of the employees pretty much grew up on farms don't know to use a computer/read/write, etc.

Amazing experience! Great work place and even better management and co-workers!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Harrisonburg, VA (US)

ProsHard work for great hard working people. You get what you put into it. You get to help people on a daily.

ConsNot the greatest pay. Heck, it's retail. Also, very outdated POS system. Please update computer system soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the store I was at.......... focus and develop good employees and "trim the fat" i.e. people with bad attitudes and work ethics should not be given any tolerance.

Horrible, Horrible Place to Work

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsNone. There is nothing good about this place.

ConsNo consideration for work/life balance in buying group--expected to work early, late and weekends with no mention of comp time to salaried employees, but if you take 2 hours to go to the doctor, you must use PTO to get paid. Below average salaries, no bonus opportunities, mediocre benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've cleaned house in the Farm & Home management, but you need to clean some more.

Review

Cashier (Former Employee) Carrboro, NC (US)

ProsIt was a great experience with great management and the environment was a very friendly environment. The store manager was a great manager who cared about every employee

ConsThere are few cons to working for this company. One of which is just customers in general, they would get very frustrated sometimes but that is to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep of the good work and continue to value your employees.

Thoroughly enjoyed working there.

Graphic Designer, Art Director, Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsI like the philosophy of the company...it's a farmer's cooperative. I worked with many creative people who were team players. I was also given several opportunities to expand and grow with the business, as I worked in a few different positions while there.

ConsWhile I was there they purchased other businesses and I think got in over their head. They then started selling them off and downsizing. I was let go as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great Company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Great products. Great is you are looking for security.

ConsOld technology and lack of communication and team spirit

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication with lower level employees and get better technology for point of sale.

Overall an Okay company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsIt is a solid company. They have ethics. There is good job security. They have a descent benefits package. The people are nice

ConsNo growth or development. You will not be promoted. There is no company culture. The company does not have even a company picnic. (There is one by the employee association, but you have be a member)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions and lead. You are too scared to do something wrong so instead you do nothing.

Worked for Southern States? Contribute to the Community!