Social Security Administration

Updated 9 November, 2014
Updated 9 November, 2014
3.2

Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
  • Work life balance is great if you don't care about salary (in 17 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, Great work environment, Overtime availability pending budget, Option to work credit hours (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Budget Issues cut my position after being informed it would continue for a year (in 6 reviews)

• 500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

Okay atmosphere and okay management

Cons

pay is not as competitive

Claims Taker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Decent pay and good benefits. Great coworkers and it's a position that allows you to help people who truly need help.

Cons

Training takes awhile. GSA/SSA don't offer free parking.

Great.

Current Employee - Hearing Monitor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Hearing Monitor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Social Security Administration part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It pays really well. Scheduling is done easily as long as you can get a contract. You get to work with some really renown Admin Law Judges and attorneys.

Cons

Because Im under contract, there's no upward mobility. Its often times really dull. The work is repetitive. It's a great job for someone like me who is in college.

My experience was great

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

The pay was great and the hours were flexible

Cons

The production were sometime impossible to meet

Judge on a case by case

SSA

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

There is generous paid time off.

Cons

Budget issues. No room to grow or advance anymore.

Stop using the excess money at the end of the fiscal year on useless items just so you claim all the money was spent and needed. The government needs to find a better way to use this money rather than going on a shopping spree on the taxpayer's dime. Employee evaluation system also needs to be updated.

Great government agency if you wan to go into civil service.

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

People, training, working for the government gives a sense of safety. Work-life balance good.

Cons

growth difficult in government hierarchy, salary based on time not potential. Reason work-life balance is so good is that you cannot bring much work home. Sometimes that is undesirable.

Break down old ways of doing things. Adopt newer workplace practices to attract younger candidates.

You get out of it what you put into it. It can be a good career, if you want it to be.

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Number one reason is the pay--claims reps are well compensated for their work. They start off well paid and have regular scheduled raises. Very generous leave as well. Good health care benefits.

Cons

Over the past 8 years, SSA seems to believe that replacing people with computers is the solution to all its problems. The workforce is demoralized. Pension is not so good now that all new employees (since 1983) are under Social Security--I guess that is only fair but even the employees know that Social Security is a rip-off pension. Heavy workloads is most offices (but still some employees do very little work--they will never get fired, so why bother?)

I personally think the creation of " technical expert" job was a mistake. I never wanted to be in management but I did get a lot of satisfaction out of mentoring new employees and conducting training--once we got a "technical expert" I was never given these opportunities again because that was the "tech expert" job.

DDS

Current Employee - Disability Examiner in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Disability Examiner in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours; there is extensive training

Cons

a lot of writing all day. answers or assessments are not black and white and are often gray.

High Levels of Employee Despair

Former Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A good place for those without high levels of education who just want a paycheck without working too hard. Flexible work hours, guaranteed time off, high salaries for non-professionals, guaranteed employment.

Cons

Very disfunctional. Poor management. Culture of low expectations and achievement. Limited promotional potential. Quality work not expected or recognized. Just a very sad work environment. High levels of employee despair. Employees not empowered. Not a good option for professionals who want to satisfy thier potential. Management promotes poor performers just to get them out of that department.

Employees should be promoted based on merit, not "time in grade" or who they know. Should share information and authority down the line and not ignore employee advice.

ssa experience

Pros

there is a lot of upward mobility

Cons

there is a lot of micromanaging

Social Security Administration Photos

Parking lot view of the Social Security Administration headquarter office located in Woodlawn, MD (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.178)
2121 Crystal Drive