Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 23 August, 2014
Updated 23 August, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Inclusive and rewarding at the beginning of my career there, however in recent years exactly opposite.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in.

Cons

Leaders with their own agendas, lack of vision.

Act upon poor employee engagement scores, share a vision with clear expectations, hold employees accountable.

Fantastic store manager, but the District Manager played by his own set of rules.

Former Employee - Sleep Expert  in  DFW, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sleep Expert in DFW, TX (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my job, I looked forward to the busiest and most hectic times of year, and my store manager was one of the best men I knew. I gave my time and energy and stayed after hours for major floor sets when other employees would take off because they couldn't be bothered. I made good money and and reached my annual goal 110%+. I was promoted to Sleep Expert in less than two years, which required achieving above and beyond sales goals.

Cons

Suddenly, it wasn't so fun to come to work and sell anymore. It became less about making your sales goal and selling beds than it became about selling $150 pillows with a high return rate. I could sell 100s of dollars in sheets, and it didn't matter because it wasn't 200% pillow sales! which was outrageous. The pressure cooker we became trapped in was awful and between the opening of a nearby location that cannibalized much of the more affluent customer base, and major construction on a very nearby highway, expectations became more outrageous with each passing month and impossible to meet. The district manager decided he wanted an all-new staff at our location, in spite of closing out 2011 with the highest December numbers in years.

Some of us that worked for your company loved our job, loved our work environment, stayed extra hours during pivotal times, and supervised store remodels that went horribly awry because of the contractors involved, and not through any fault of our own. I never got over losing my job at Sleep Number, because I had been so happy there. I trusted my manager, and my coworkers and that is something you do not often find in a commission sales environment. I closed 2011 with the top volume in my store. There were employees in the district who had sales percentages comparable to mine, but were not dismissed the way I was. I was not a thief, I was utterly dependable, always on time, willing to work 11+ hour days, and my manager considered me his right hand. Beyond the confines of the store, there simply was not an atmosphere of fairness.

Sleep Professional

Former Employee - Sleep Professional
    Former Employee - Sleep Professional

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

Pros

The good about Sleep Number is that the store only had a few employees and they were all quality teammates. For that reason, you gained exceptional friends as well. Also, Sleep Number has created a distinct and recognizable brand that has a loyal following from their customers. There were many times when people that owned and loved their beds would stop by and give an impromptu testimonial while I was talking with a potential customers.

Cons

The bad of of working as a sales professional at Sleep Number is that there were days when the store wouldn't have one customer come to store. If and when a customer came to buy there was a 1 in four chance that the customer would be yours. Sometimes the numbers fall in your favor and many times they didn't. With foot traffic being so slow at times, the line between sales professional and telemarketer become blurred. There were days when a minimum of 25 calls to a list of customers was expected. Lastly, to say that the systems that are used are outdated would be an understatement.

Update the systems.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Honestly, the WORST leadership I have ever experienced

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Broomfield, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None really. Except may some good quality co-workers.

Cons

Select Comfort wants to control everything you do. Sales goals are the only focus. Next to never promotions from within the company. Independent thinking is frowned upon, just do as you are told. Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills. Have lost countless good quality people because of poor leadership and the wrong people in management. Here it is: when you have management who use themselves as the standard, and that standard is incompetent, you multiply that incompetentcy over and over. Just ask any ex-employee. Selling high end product is not easy and the company could care less if you leave. This is the truth folks.

Resign and start over with good quality people in all management postions

Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

No pro's anymore. I can't really say anything good. Previously the place was professional. Not any longer.

Cons

High degree of hiring based on "family". This hurt sales and teams. Many store Managers/Sleep Pros kept around even when habitual drug use was an issue. You can be an alcoholic or drug user and still work at Sleep Number.

Don't make others work with such issues as stated above.

Great Company

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

Having customers come back to you and tell you how much they love their new bed and how much better they feel after getting the sleep they were looking for.

Cons

Goal expectations were jumped way up over the previous years numbers which made it exceptionally hard to reach.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Nov 22, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for your review! It's great to see that you experienced first hand how customers benefit from the Sleep Number bed.

Home Deliver7

Current Employee - Home Deliver  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Home Deliver in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok its an ok job, lack of tools, great co workers, ok pay

Cons

not the best pay, ok job, not the worst job, ok job, ok pay

Give guys most tools have lots of fun

Local management can make or break your experience

Former Employee - Sleep Associate
    Former Employee - Sleep Associate

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

Pros

fun, competitive, liked working trade shows, got to meet a lot of people

Cons

rules changed by the day, goals are outrageous, not team oriented

be consistent, be fair, be positive, give reinforcement, train your employees, don't hang them out to dry

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Nov 22, 2013Human Capital

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience as a Sleep Number employee!

Great working environment--I wish I'd found Sleep Number years ago

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Plymouth, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working for Sleep Number for just over a year. It has been a wonderful place to work and I only wish I'd found it much sooner than I did. The hiring process can be a bit demanding and they are very selective, but if you can get in the door, do it! Compensation and benefits are great. Work is rewarding and valued. I love coming into work!

• Environment is clean, modern, and well-kept
    • Colleagues are a joy to work with
    • Innovative culture makes it easy to stay excited about working here
    • I'm valued for my individual strengths
    • Great work-life balance
    • Supportive culture

Cons

• Some of upper management sometimes feels a little out of touch with the "worker bees" -- it might do them good to build rapport beyond their direct reports

What happened?!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Good, but very overpriced product. Helping people sleep better and improve lives in some cases.

Cons

Can be incredibly boring, can go hours to whole days without a customer. While the CEO can blame poor sales on the economic climate, we are blamed for lack of sales . Very little advertising, endless phone calls to the same disinterested call lists. Constantly coming out with new, over priced "innovations" that invariably fail, todays greatest product ever is next year's discontinued item. District managers rule by intimidation, and while managers are generally coddled, have the best schedules and lower goals, they have the same amount of time on the floor, and compete for their own sales, and care little for their staff'success.Sales goals unrealistic. The only way to make any money is to be 140% to goal, and tiers are not retroactive to dollar one.Feel the company is in a free fall,and and the future is bleak.

Makes sales goals realistic, stop the intimidation and micro managing, make the pay scale a
     true tiered system,lower prices, advertise,Stop the over emphasis on sales of $200 pillows and $1700 heating-cooling mattress pads, basically take care of their dedicated and talented sales force.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!