Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great vision, great people, some growing pains

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent compensation. Work with really smart, kind people. True commitment to caring for the customer. We always strive to put the customer first. Vision-driven culture to improve people's lives: It's not about selling beds-- we help improve lives. Great to work for something bigger than just product. AMAZING product. Love, love, love my Sleep Number bed and bedding products! Top notch and will continue to own and recommend them long after I stop working for Sleep Number. Great job retention here too. Many people have worked here 10+ years.

ConsHeavy "process" environment. Things don't happen as quickly or as creatively as you hope they would, so it's crucial to be organized, patient and a great project manager. Meeting-heavy corporate environment which is getting better thanks to a new meeting effectiveness rollout that is streamlining some meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the voice of Directors and project managers more. Too often we're micromanaged to the point where something goes from great to mediocre.

Coming to work and changing lives everday makes Sleep Number a great place to build a career!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsStrong customer-driven culture
    Exceptionally talented group of employees
    Amazing product that improves people's lives

ConsHighly competitive landscape necessitates fast pace of change but adds to the excitement

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to live your mission and vision everyday

Overworked, under appreciated, horrific work/life balance

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsI had met some of the most wonderful non management employees at this company.

ConsThe company lost it's direction approx. 8 years ago when it thought it was a large corporation. The compan has hired some of the most worthless people to run it. The VP's/ CEO(s) deny issues with the product and created a profit center with their warranty. The product has been redesigned to not last. If it lasts... how do they make money? They are horrid to their call center employees from customer service and now making their way into sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down. You have all ruined the company. Know your employees, treat them right. You have lost the best employees you could have asked for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok job if you like following scripts and calling the same people over and over

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

ProsThe product really does help a lot of people. My immediate manager was awesome, great person.

ConsRidiculous scripted selling process, no room for creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and making constant changes to the already burdensome selling process. Let salespeople sell. Just because I say "Sleep Number" twenty times does not make someone want the product more. You are out of touch and have no idea what it's like to talk to a real customer.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A workplace in flux...

Headquarters (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

Pros- fast-paced environment that keeps you on your toes
    - great coworkers
    - summer hours

Cons- micromanagement
    - technology is stuck in 2005
    - processes hold back creativity
    - work/life balance is nonexistent

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't manage every detail. Trust your employees and their skills to get things done. Make a clearly decision and stick to it. Innovate with technology.

Great product, shifting culture focused on promoting women and 100% managing by spreadsheet.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsFantastic pay for retail made over $90,000 in good years 45-50 hours a week. Good product when you work for a good DM, you life work balance is great.

ConsConstant change, upper management is so out of touch. The expectations are shifting forcing managers to be in store long hours without productive things to do. With the new CEO as of 2012 we have seen a consistent slide in work life balance, sales, and employee incomes. The CEO has not taken any personal responsibility for her actions and has fired multiple people for carrying out her directives and them not working. She let numerous seasoned managers to and replaced each with a female usually under qualified.

Cult like environment, "we don't sell beds we change lives, if people don't get that find people that do."

Advice to Senior ManagementShelly, find the right CEO and step back into a marketing and operations roll before we end up with a single digit stock price. If you make a mistake don't fire people, take responsibility and move on.

Finally, don't be so worried about promoting women, get the right people in the right roles.

Run like the wind

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Manchester, NH (US)

ProsSleep Number offers a very good product. Customers who own the product are very satisfied with their purchase and do recommend it to their friends & families.

ConsMicro managed cult mentality. District Managers egos out of control. The company as a whole cares little of it's employees and are very petty in they're "management" approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting money. Cease & desist the ridiculous redundancy in paperwork. If you would care to stop the never ending revolving door of retail employees.....I can help you.....but I cannot help you if you're stupid!

Do NOT work there

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsIt is most difficult to find twenty words for Pros on working for this company, whereas there are no Pros.

ConsThey have taken a very good product, and have turned their sales approach into a 3 pronged outdated and obnoxious system. One third carnival barker at the OZ.....one third boiler room telemarketing, harassing current owners of their product....the other third ....actually selling the bed....all the while brow beating customers into the highest margin add ons....

Advice to Senior ManagementHand in your resignations

AVOID AT ALL COSTS! WORST COMPANY EVER!

Quilter Operator (Current Employee) Irmo, SC (US)

ProsSelect Comfort has a great product.

ConsEmployees are taught play dirty against coworkers to get ahead by watching as it is continuously rewarded by leadership leading to the Lobster Syndrome of tearing one another down throughout the organization. The result of bad leadership is low morale, high turnover, and a decreased ability to have any sustainable success.

Advice to Senior ManagementBad leadership is felt throughout the entire organization of Select Comfort all the way from the east to the west coast. Corporate culture has become a meaningless term where leaders claim it exists while employees shake their heads in frustration. I guess the Leadership of the company doesn't care or reads these reviews, because we continue to head down the wrong path year after year. What will it take to turn this company around? The employees are clueless.

Good place to work for many years now not so much at least for Inside phone sales positions

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsBenefits ok fellow employees great good working conditions.

ConsCommission structure in constant flux goals much too high for the call volume. Company not supporting the phone sales people at all the focus is on sending people to the stores or the website only.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees sometimes they do know things that can help you. Surveys have been done several times with similar results each time but little action to correct the problems.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!