Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Honestly, the WORST leadership I have ever experienced

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO (US)

ProsNone really. Except may some good quality co-workers.

ConsSelect Comfort wants to control everything you do. Sales goals are the only focus. Next to never promotions from within the company. Independent thinking is frowned upon, just do as you are told. Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills. Have lost countless good quality people because of poor leadership and the wrong people in management. Here it is: when you have management who use themselves as the standard, and that standard is incompetent, you multiply that incompetentcy over and over. Just ask any ex-employee. Selling high end product is not easy and the company could care less if you leave. This is the truth folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and start over with good quality people in all management postions

Store Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pro's anymore. I can't really say anything good. Previously the place was professional. Not any longer.

ConsHigh degree of hiring based on "family". This hurt sales and teams. Many store Managers/Sleep Pros kept around even when habitual drug use was an issue. You can be an alcoholic or drug user and still work at Sleep Number.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make others work with such issues as stated above.

Home Deliver7

Home Deliver (Current Employee) Portland, OR (US)

ProsOk its an ok job, lack of tools, great co workers, ok pay

Consnot the best pay, ok job, not the worst job, ok job, ok pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGive guys most tools have lots of fun

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working environment--I wish I'd found Sleep Number years ago

Human Resources (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsI've been working for Sleep Number for just over a year. It has been a wonderful place to work and I only wish I'd found it much sooner than I did. The hiring process can be a bit demanding and they are very selective, but if you can get in the door, do it! Compensation and benefits are great. Work is rewarding and valued. I love coming into work!

• Environment is clean, modern, and well-kept
    • Colleagues are a joy to work with
    • Innovative culture makes it easy to stay excited about working here
    • I'm valued for my individual strengths
    • Great work-life balance
    • Supportive culture

Cons• Some of upper management sometimes feels a little out of touch with the "worker bees" -- it might do them good to build rapport beyond their direct reports

What happened?!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood, but very overpriced product. Helping people sleep better and improve lives in some cases.

ConsCan be incredibly boring, can go hours to whole days without a customer. While the CEO can blame poor sales on the economic climate, we are blamed for lack of sales . Very little advertising, endless phone calls to the same disinterested call lists. Constantly coming out with new, over priced "innovations" that invariably fail, todays greatest product ever is next year's discontinued item. District managers rule by intimidation, and while managers are generally coddled, have the best schedules and lower goals, they have the same amount of time on the floor, and compete for their own sales, and care little for their staff'success.Sales goals unrealistic. The only way to make any money is to be 140% to goal, and tiers are not retroactive to dollar one.Feel the company is in a free fall,and and the future is bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes sales goals realistic, stop the intimidation and micro managing, make the pay scale a
     true tiered system,lower prices, advertise,Stop the over emphasis on sales of $200 pillows and $1700 heating-cooling mattress pads, basically take care of their dedicated and talented sales force.

Great people, good company culture, flawed product and lack of growth

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsSmart friendly culture. Great people who really care about each other. Well thought out and executed training program. Good benefits and 401k.

ConsThe new CEO is leading the company in a bad direction. Lack of focus on the customer is starting to show in the sales and word of mouth.

Mission driven company with exciting future.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsThe company is still at that size where there is an opportunity for everyone to make an impact. It's a company you feel good working for knowing how the products help to improve customer's lives everyday. Solid leadership. Culture with strong values. Working with a group of employees continuously focused on improvement and customer satisfaction.

ConsWhile there is some strong bonus potential, base salary is not as competitive.

great opportunities available at growth company that allows for work / life balance

Prosgreat opportunities for growth in matrixed organization growing at a rapid pace, management cares about employees and culture, good work / life balance, great products

Consi have no cons to share

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Exciting opportunities with a growing company

Digital Marketing (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsGreat people. Smart leaders. Awesome products that really live up to their benefits. Growing company with many opportunities to make a difference in your career and in the development of the company.

ConsVery process-oriented corporate culture; too much at times. Should try to operate more like a start-up, and give more autonomy to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more nimble; don't be afraid of mistakes; let your employees have more freedoms to take things and run with them; don't stress so much over everything aligning to a strategy. Sometimes, you have to do things because it's right, no necessarily because there's a strategy attached to it.

Sleep Number is one of the top 6 fastest growing retailers in the US.

Talent Acquisition Partner (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsSleep Number offers an exciting environment if you are looking for a progressive growing company and values their employees.
    We are innovative, offer products that improve the individual sleep experience, and contribute to individuals overall wellness.
    It is exciting to be part of a company that so far has made an impact on over 8 million lives.
    We are the 6th fastest growing retailer in the US. Sleep Number employees are passionate about the product and our work; you can feel partnership throughout the company as we work together towards a common goal. Everyday we challenge ourselves to excel, deliver an amazing product and a superior customer experience. Sleep Number offers flexibility in work schedules; generous discounts on products and a business casual environment all at our beautiful new facility complete with an onsite cafe and gym. Sleep number employees are rewarded because they are recognized for their accomplishments and challenged as professionals.

ConsI cannot think of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementSleep Number has a strong leadership team that is highly visable and approachable.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!