Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 16 reviews)

• Flexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management not in touch with sales people (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI love my job as a store manager. The job pays well and the hours are reasonable for retail. The product is great and the sales process very effective.

ConsOnly thing is work/life balance. Need to rotate some weekends off once in awhile.

Passion and People Focused

Retail Support (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsSmall company so everyone has the ability to affect change. Company fosters collaboration and cross functional partnership. People are friendly and care about their co-workers.

ConsLack of additional education or training at corporate level, there is no ability to learn new skills. Company is growing and wants to grow but still operates as a small company in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to connect with employees throughout the organization. Be open and honest with plans for company and how employees can make the greatest impacts.

I used to love her, but it's all over now...

Store Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGood money. Good work environment. Good people to work with. Some room to move up. Good sales structure. Overall, good - not great.

ConsSince the new CEO took over the sales goal have been unrealistic. No solid plan for growth. There's been a shift in the focus of the company away from customer service to only sell the most expensive products. Regional Vice Presidents lead by fear and intimidation. There's a "flavor of the month" when it comes to bedding collection expectations. There's always something that you're not doing right, even if you hit goals. I was once told that my 70 percent conversion rate was too high. Then 6 months later it was too low. Just looking for something to say "gotcha"! I had twelve years with the company and was let go because "performance" when in reality they could hire someone new and pay them half as much as I was making. I was told by the Regional Vice President that "anyone can do your job" and I told him that they couldn't. Now, he found the excuse he needed to let me go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for a while, exhausting in the long run.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsLow stress with customer contact. Work life balance is fairly reasonable. Pay is very good if you perform. Great benefits, good communication structure.

ConsAll blame goes to retail front line. Not the mismanagement of corporate or bad corporate ideas. Also, goals are unrealistic at times for stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat company to work for, but there needs to be less micromanaging at the store level.

Need to be a more employee friendly company.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsFor the most part t was an enjoyable experience, people bought the product and it was easy to sell. The people were great and made a lot of friends

ConsUnrealistically high goals, beds and accessories which are made in China are severely over priced. Weak leadership in my district and individual people do not get recognized at all. Only the store(s) within the district that out performs the others get any recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the district manager, you need to keep in mind that although policies are in place you are dealing with people and not just a number. The delivery service they use has cost many a Sleep Professional their deals by over promising and not delivering

Oversold position, unrealistic expectations

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsTrained with exceptional customer service principles, excellent products.

ConsStats for agents way out of line along with expectations of complicated and technical and system knowledge for all products since company began. 'Help line' dishes attitude and scolds agents, very demotivating and unproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPosition was oversold apparently to get higher caliber agents. Leadership is defensive and doesn't listen to feedback. What started as a great opportunity quickly melted down into a waste of time. Agents have extreme accountability, poor resources. Expectations way out of balance.

Good opportunities for those willing to work

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsOpportunity for growth and advancement

ConsExecutive leaders don't listen to the feedback of customer facing employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen!

Great company to work for.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the people I worked with and the projects I worked on.

ConsI didn't see anything negative while I worked there; I don't have any cons to give.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Wish I could give zero stars.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation. The bed is worth the money. My direct manager is the only person who had any idea what was going on.

ConsThis company is blinded by the benefits of their product. Management has no time for anyone but themselves. It's a rat race that pays no mind to the people actually bringing ideas to the table, and then upper management takes all the credit. Turn around times are ridiculously short. It's pitiful. A toxic work environment that no one should have to endure.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your staff.

Good while it lasted

Store Manager (Former Employee) Asheville, NC (US)

ProsHelping people get a better nights sleep

ConsThe corporate side of the business does not care about what is happening at a store level. Retail hours. Most of the stores are in malls.

Advice to Senior ManagementFelt I was walking on egg shells the 7 yrs I was there.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!