Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Updated 14 December, 2014
3.1

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach
Shelly Ibach

Pros
  • Great product with great concept and innovative product (in 20 reviews)

• My roommate calls Sleep Number the "apple" of the bed industry (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible upper management starting with District Managers (in 16 reviews)

• Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Decent income, discounts, fellow employees, customers, products.

Cons

Retail hours, no work life balance, Incompetent district Manager.

Realize that the people in your stores matter. Work life balance is important as some of us actually do have family and friends. I have missed several important gatherings since being hired, however, I believe it is our DM that is to blame. Great company to work for overall and very fair compensation for work done and the benefits are not bad at all.

"Easy job"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Low pressure selling process. This product sells itself once the customer experiences it. Great technology and a totally unique customer experience. The attention we give to customers stands out against other mattress shopping experiences.

Cons

Flow of customers can be slow at times. I could work for several days without an opportunity to speak to a customer. The boredom can be overwhelming because you work alone a good bit of the time.

Upper management seems to lack a sense of direction with the companies future. Upper management needs to understand that when they invest in advertising, customers walk in the door....when the advertising back off, so do the customers.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent culture for employees who enjoy being challenged and rewarded, this company helps change lives!!! Company recognizes sales success with a living wage, and outstanding new products which keep it interesting.

Cons

Retail and extended holiday hours are a drag. Is it useful to open at 7 or 8 on Labor Day and stay until 10 at night? So much for the holiday.

Keep innovating, it is working!! Let go of the over-paid pompous jerks who contribute very little.

This is a very innovate company. They want to be the apple of beds.

Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)
    Former Employee - HD Scheduler in Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back environment. Great work culture. Good staff.

Cons

Parking. Lack of training to the stores. Lack of infrastructure in place during peak season.

Develop on online training portal to help stores and techs.

Sleep Number is constantly evolving

Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Expert in Bonita Springs, FL (US)

Pros

Pay structure allows for the ability to make a good amount of money. The company recognizes success with their "President's Circle" each year and sends them on an all expense paid vacation!

Cons

The manager I had was less than professional and I have met others that were the same. They raise your goals over 30% when you hit them which makes it much harder to hit your commission tiers.

Spend more time with your managers developing the culture that Sleep Number is all about.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Oct 14, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for providing your feedback and advice. I will pass it on!

A laid back sales experience

Pros

Great work environment. The stores are nice and decent hours.

Cons

Not being able to have outside internet options in store is a drawback. We are adults and should have access to competitor websites for comparison and knowledge.

Keep the sales plans low enough where the sales greyhounds don't stop chasing the rabbit.

Great Place for A Career!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD (US)

Pros

If you are interested in improving the quality of life of the your customers as well as that of you and your family, then Sleep Number is a great place to grow your career.

- Uncapped compensation including hourly, commission, and bonuses
    - Fantastic product that actually works
    - Ongoing commitment to new and exciting technology
    - Sales methodology that has been proven to be effective
    - Aggressive marketing
    - High value placed on ethical customer interactions
    - Fantastic balance of team/individual success focus
    - Flexible schedule
    - Vertically integrated company
    - Full health benefits
    - Opportunity for advancement in a growing company
    - Performance-driven rewards like s.w.a.g. and trips
    - Multi-Store Leadership that actually cares about its sales force

Cons

Retail hours can be tough.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Response

Sep 26, 2014Human Capital

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion! Your passion is truly valued, and thank you for choosing Sleep Number!

Great Company, Very Boring

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff and other store managers are wiling to help with questions. Customers really loyal to beds and easy to sell using the selling system, no other delivery/ complaint/ return follow up (goes through corporate) just regular friendly follow up after sale. Good Benefits

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals! Company in "aggressive" growth but sales over 400 stores didn't make goals. Blamed marketing but too slow to compensate for the HIGH goals that were distributed by DM. When the goals are determined by DM for each store it's not based on any real percentages from last year, just lofty dreams of company. One month will be 20% above the next 50% above last year and not concise with store size and location. NO TRAINING at all...had to rely on staff (not their job) to train me. Not the best strategy for a company unless it wants the employee to pull the strings of management. Long boring hours.

Have a clear understanding of the business to give realistic goals to DM's. This company makes great money and shouldn't dangle the carrot for their own gain. TRAIN MANAGEMENT, don't have the employees bear the burden plus it demotes the managers role in their eyes.

Difficult work environment and no work-life balance.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

Pros

Great line of products. Vertically integrated company with good growth opportunities. New and comfortable facility. Decent benefits with annual bonus payout.

Cons

Very chaotic work environment. Insufficient resource staffing causes excessive work hours. No work- life balance. No confidence in senior leadership team.

Hire more people.

Culture declining.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Pros

The Product changes peoples lives.

Cons

You have to be a skinny white female to get ahead.

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Photos