Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros:
  • "Great product with great concept and innovative product"
    in 14 reviews
  • "I get to help people improve their lives (and sometimes save marriages) by improving the quailty of their sleep"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sleep Professional

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

ProsThe good about Sleep Number is that the store only had a few employees and they were all quality teammates. For that reason, you gained exceptional friends as well. Also, Sleep Number has created a distinct and recognizable brand that has a loyal following from their customers. There were many times when people that owned and loved their beds would stop by and give an impromptu testimonial while I was talking with a potential customers.

ConsThe bad of of working as a sales professional at Sleep Number is that there were days when the store wouldn't have one customer come to store. If and when a customer came to buy there was a 1 in four chance that the customer would be yours. Sometimes the numbers fall in your favor and many times they didn't. With foot traffic being so slow at times, the line between sales professional and telemarketer become blurred. There were days when a minimum of 25 calls to a list of customers was expected. Lastly, to say that the systems that are used are outdated would be an understatement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the systems.

Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

ProsNo pro's anymore. I can't really say anything good. Previously the place was professional. Not any longer.

ConsHigh degree of hiring based on "family". This hurt sales and teams. Many store Managers/Sleep Pros kept around even when habitual drug use was an issue. You can be an alcoholic or drug user and still work at Sleep Number.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make others work with such issues as stated above.

Honestly, the WORST leadership I have ever experienced

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNone really. Except may some good quality co-workers.

ConsSelect Comfort wants to control everything you do. Sales goals are the only focus. Next to never promotions from within the company. Independent thinking is frowned upon, just do as you are told. Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills. Have lost countless good quality people because of poor leadership and the wrong people in management. Here it is: when you have management who use themselves as the standard, and that standard is incompetent, you multiply that incompetentcy over and over. Just ask any ex-employee. Selling high end product is not easy and the company could care less if you leave. This is the truth folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and start over with good quality people in all management postions

Great Company

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

ProsHaving customers come back to you and tell you how much they love their new bed and how much better they feel after getting the sleep they were looking for.

ConsGoal expectations were jumped way up over the previous years numbers which made it exceptionally hard to reach.

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for your review! It's great to see that you experienced first hand how customers benefit from the Sleep Number bed.

Home Deliver7

Home Deliver (Current Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort part-time for more than a year

ProsOk its an ok job, lack of tools, great co workers, ok pay

Consnot the best pay, ok job, not the worst job, ok job, ok pay

Advice to Senior ManagementGive guys most tools have lots of fun

Local management can make or break your experience

Sleep Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for less than a year

Prosfun, competitive, liked working trade shows, got to meet a lot of people

Consrules changed by the day, goals are outrageous, not team oriented

Advice to Senior Managementbe consistent, be fair, be positive, give reinforcement, train your employees, don't hang them out to dry

Nov 22, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience as a Sleep Number employee!

Great working environment--I wish I'd found Sleep Number years ago

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

ProsI've been working for Sleep Number for just over a year. It has been a wonderful place to work and I only wish I'd found it much sooner than I did. The hiring process can be a bit demanding and they are very selective, but if you can get in the door, do it! Compensation and benefits are great. Work is rewarding and valued. I love coming into work!

• Environment is clean, modern, and well-kept
• Colleagues are a joy to work with
• Innovative culture makes it easy to stay excited about working here
• I'm valued for my individual strengths
• Great work-life balance
• Supportive culture

Cons• Some of upper management sometimes feels a little out of touch with the "worker bees" -- it might do them good to build rapport beyond their direct reports

What happened?!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

ProsGood, but very overpriced product. Helping people sleep better and improve lives in some cases.

ConsCan be incredibly boring, can go hours to whole days without a customer. While the CEO can blame poor sales on the economic climate, we are blamed for lack of sales . Very little advertising, endless phone calls to the same disinterested call lists. Constantly coming out with new, over priced "innovations" that invariably fail, todays greatest product ever is next year's discontinued item. District managers rule by intimidation, and while managers are generally coddled, have the best schedules and lower goals, they have the same amount of time on the floor, and compete for their own sales, and care little for their staff'success.Sales goals unrealistic. The only way to make any money is to be 140% to goal, and tiers are not retroactive to dollar one.Feel the company is in a free fall,and and the future is bleak.

Advice to Senior ManagementMakes sales goals realistic, stop the intimidation and micro managing, make the pay scale a
 true tiered system,lower prices, advertise,Stop the over emphasis on sales of $200 pillows and $1700 heating-cooling mattress pads, basically take care of their dedicated and talented sales force.

Older employees

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

ProsThe company pay is very good.

ConsThe company will find a reason to terminate you once you reach a certain age.

Oct 31, 2013

Thank you for sharing your opinion on glassdoor. I’m sorry to see your perception about our termination practices. Sleep Number strictly prohibits any form of unlawful discrimination, including ... More

Great people, good company culture, flawed product and lack of growth

Area Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

ProsSmart friendly culture. Great people who really care about each other. Well thought out and executed training program. Good benefits and 401k.

ConsThe new CEO is leading the company in a bad direction. Lack of focus on the customer is starting to show in the sales and word of mouth.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Videos

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All 119 reviews are posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.