Sleep Number by Select Comfort

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Sleep Number by Select Comfort President & CEO Shelly Ibach

Shelly Ibach

Pros:
  • "Great product with great concept and innovative product"
    in 14 reviews
  • "I get to help people improve their lives (and sometimes save marriages) by improving the quailty of their sleep"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most upper management is out of touch with the stores and have little to no interpersonal skills"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Most District Managers are out of touch and can destroy you and your store if they want"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good while it lasted

Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHelping people get a better nights sleep

ConsThe corporate side of the business does not care about what is happening at a store level. Retail hours. Most of the stores are in malls.

Advice to Senior ManagementFelt I was walking on egg shells the 7 yrs I was there.

Great place to build a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Irmo, SC (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFirst of all, the product is great. I have and always will be a fan of the Sleep Number bed. The company itself has a great management team who encourages employees to do their best and promote them based off of their strengths. I personally wouldn't be where I'm at if it wasn't for my 10+ years with this organization. They are well structured throughout, offer great benefits, and offer very competitive pay as well.

ConsThere's not many to list. It can be difficult to move up within the manufacturing facilities due to the overall lack of staff positions, which is to be expected with any company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Flag Review

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Human Capital responded to this review

Mar 14, 2014

Thank you for your review. It is great to read your positive feelings towards Sleep Number, and thank you for spending 10 years with us!

Management Heart in the Right Place, but Poor Execution

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than a year

ProsStill has a small company feel even with steady growth. Product innovation is highly encouraged.

ConsLimited opportunity for movement.
R&D time seems too rushed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sleep Number has come a long way from days past.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort

ProsThe company is continuing to move in the right place.

ConsPay your managers more salary.

Great products...promising future!

Private (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAfter the exciting introduction of the new bed at CES, I am feeling re-energized and excited about our future.

Cons2013 was a tough year...glad to get it behind us.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower leaders at all levels to make decisions...you have a talented and capable team.

Please check out the job opportunity very , very well before taking it. They don't tell you one quarter of the truth.

I have been working at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time

ProsDon't have to do much in way of sales, just doing busy work in case a customer walks in.

ConsEverything from top to bottom is in shambles. Cult like atmosphere. Always in that "Gotcha" mode. Motivational practices are horrific. All politics. Strongly advise against applying for a job there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about ways to bring customers into the stores instead of your rah rah fraternity type approach and having the employees make 50 phone calls a day. You want to be a big time operator start acting like one. Upper management has no idea what their regional and district managers are doing to their company. Human resources can not be called on for anything. Situations are just swept under the rug or come back at you instead of helping you.

Former Store Manager

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat products, strong family-like store environment, good pay

ConsBusiness leadership not the best in past few years, changes with upper level management not making the smartest decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for and those of us that stuck in there and brought the company back from desperate times a few years back should be respected and appreciated for our service, not let go because me are costing you a little bit more money each month. We were worth what were paid

Good retail job...

Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you like making people's lives better and love sales, it's a great place to work. Job load is fairly easy once you get products down. Hours stay consistent throughout the year unlike a lot of other retailers.

ConsNot a lot of room to move up.

Client driven company, Heavy push on sales force.

Sleep Professional (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product with great concept and innovative product. Customers are the main asset to this company. Sleep Number does really care about customers and their sleep/health.

ConsCommission structure is tiered and set to where its tough to jump in to the next tier to actually get that desired paycheck. Years past the goals were more realistic but goal hikes have made it very tough to achieve 100%. Benefits are very minimal and lead generation can be tough when you are standing at the door in the mall.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave marketing do a better job at getting new and old customers in the door rather than rely on cold calling old and cold leads all day

Inclusive and rewarding at the beginning of my career there, however in recent years exactly opposite.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Sleep Number by Select Comfort full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility in work/life balance depending on what area of the company you are in.

ConsLeaders with their own agendas, lack of vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct upon poor employee engagement scores, share a vision with clear expectations, hold employees accountable.

Worked for Sleep Number by Select Comfort? Contribute to the Community!

Sleep Number by Select Comfort Videos

Sleep Number by Select Comfort – Why Work for Us?

We are Sleep Number. And for over 25 years, we’ve been changing the way the world sleeps—one person, one experience at a time. Based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are the designers, manufacturers, marketers and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sleep Number by Select Comfort reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sleep Number by Select Comfort CEO Shelly Ibach. All 120 reviews are posted anonymously by Sleep Number by Select Comfort employees.