Slalom Consulting Reviews

Updated 11 September, 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 61 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Haven't looked back once, no regrets, can't wait for more!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Slalom Boston for over a year, and it's been fantastic. No regrets, I am still thankful to this day that the amazing recruiters decided to reach out to me! I've been staffed on some good projects, new tech, impressive clients, and challenging tasks. I love being pushed professionally, and even a little personally, and the team in this Boston office delivers. The atmosphere is loaded with "can-do" with a topping of "go for it". Truly entrepreneurial, with a huge push for work/life balance (well deserved awards over and over again). If you have the opportunity to join Slalom in any market, don't be stupid, you have to join.

Cons

Career paths are blurry right now, but if you know what you want, you can get it. Also, internal programs are underway to improve. More top-down communications/transparency at the market level would be ideal, would like clearer definition of vision and goals for the office and my practice.

Keep it going! What we have here is special, and I'm thankful for it. Next SOTO let's talk vision and goals, where do we want to be and how do we want to get there? I vaguely remember hearing about this, so maybe more communications/reminders (central location so I can peruse it at will) of our vision and goals ;)

Love it!

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a real spirit. Employees are happy to be here and challenged to do great innovative work. Everything promised in the interviews is true - this is the real deal!

Cons

Can't think of anything just yet!

Never lose this spirit!

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

A Great place to work, amazing culture.

Cons

Need to diversify management structure.

Need to diversify management structure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I thought I loved what I did before...

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tremendous dedication to work life balance
    Interesting project. Not just the typical bland enterprise application / staff aug. work you find at a lot of other firms.
    Given opportunity to discover and become experienced in a range of technologies and not forced to be pigeon holed into one stack.
    Given honest and constructive reviews as part of career advancement.
    Very smart and interesting people. There's no sense of I have to be smarter than everyone else and have to show it off in order to get ahead.
    No travel and I can be at home with my family.

Cons

Not entirely sure how career advancement works before moving up to leadership roles. We have a pretty flat structure and don't have a sense of milestones to work towards before moving up to the next level. That said, I don't feel like I'll be 'stuck' by any means. I'm rather confident I'll be in a forward and upward position a year from now. The lack of structure here just might be jarring to someone expecting it.

Keep doing what you're doing.
    I love that I can come into work and comfortably strike up a conversation with anyone from leadership right on down to the consulting level.
    There's a good vision for where we are and where we want to be.
    There's been a lot of hard work to create this culture and I hope its maintained and keeps getting better.

Slalom cares for their employees and sends them on engaging projects

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom Culture is amazing - Numerous original, creative events, amazing people who aren't jerks
    The work here is great - Slalom sends consultants on engaging projects that make a difference for their clients.

Cons

Slalom's PTO policy is not as generous as some competitors offering 3 weeks vacation. Slalom's 401k match is not very generous.

Improve benefits (PTO, 401k match) and provide more robust training/development opportunities.

Empowering, supportive, and amazing culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to pursue your true passion at Slalom. Work-life balance is actually balanced, unlimited professional development, and tons of career growth.

Cons

PTO could be improved though they are working on it, wish they had shared leave for parents with new borns.

Don't stray from the values and culture that has brought this company to where it is today. Keep it fun and exciting everyday.

A wonderful vacation from industry

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is my first time working for a company that spends money on its people. Happy hours, company retreats, lunches and training. I feel comfortable talking with anyone at the company, and there is a feeling that I set my career course and there's nothing keeping me from attaining any goal I set. The local model works well, and the variable pay model, while risky if the bench happens, ensures that overtime work is paid work, which is refreshing coming from salaried industry. There is a real commitment from the exec team and leadership at the local level to positive change and gaining feedback.

Cons

The Denver area is very large, so the local model can still lend itself to long commutes depending on where the project is. The 401k match is terrible for a company that spends so much money on its employees elsewhere. The vacation could be better, definitely. There is some balance needed with regards to client sizes and their relative risk to the company.

Keep the employee extracurricular activities going--it's money well spent. Skedaddle is an awesome experience, something that should be at the forefront of attracting talent. Bump up the 401k--even if it's not the most-requested item, it's critical for your employees to be saving for retirement. Love the accessibility of leaders. Keep Slalom special.

Aug 22, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your positive review. I will definitely share your comments about our current 401K matching and PTO with our HR group who is reviewing our overall benefits currently ... More

Best company I have been a part of

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

I see some sour grapes on this site because some people do not always get everything they want, but across the board, I have seen more people do amazing work than any company I've been involved with. The level of quality at this firm is amazingly high. To get noticed, your work must be truly exceptional and the culture is one that people are excited to show what they are capable of. Top performers are rewarded appropriately. Anyone who does outstanding work will be recognized. That sounds obvious, but it is amazing how many people blame external factors instead of focusing on their skills and contributions. People at this company help each other, even if they are not directly involved on the same team. Generally, they take time out for each other. I saw some complaints about career manager interaction. Contrary to what others have said, career managers are very involved with the performance of each person, even if they do not work with them individually on a team. Management is very tuned into individual performance even if they are not sitting next to every person every day. More often than not, it is the individual contributors who do not want to meet regularly, 1 on 1, or share their achievements. Managers are always open to sit down and talk, even if people want to talk to their manager's manager's manager etc. I have seen relatively junior people at the firm having lunch with top executives. They have a great open door policy. Also, social events offer some great room for people who would not otherwise meet, to cross-pollinate and discover new ways to help or be helped. If people do not love working here, it is doubtful they will love any healthy, challenging, quality work environment. If people prefer a slow, safe, simple job, they should work at a company that is done growing. We regularly get first place for 'best places to work' in almost every city where we have an office. The leadership here are the most intelligent, involved, and dedicated that I have seen. I would much rather see team budget maintain our culture than give slightly larger bonuses to people who are at the bottom of the bell curve. We survive and thrive based on our performance every day and cannot afford to make things more comfortable for the bottom of the bell curve, even as we grow.

Cons

As the firm grows, not everybody learns the same things at the same time, so it's more difficult for everyone to stay in sync and have the same understanding and visibility.

Stay the course. This company is doing exactly what it needs to do in order grow while maintaining the quality we require.

Aug 22, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for the detailed and positive review. I'm glad you called out our open door policy. Meeting with our people in each market is one of my favorite parts of my job - feel ... More

My time at Slalom consulting could not have been better.

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern  in  Buckhead, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Buckhead, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Training
    - Workplace Environment
    - Co-Workers
    - Employee Appreciation

Cons

-Parking Situation could be better

I honestly feel upper level management does a great job.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom is a great company filled with brilliant people to work alongside. They have a very strong company culture that focuses a lot on the individual - both from a career standpoint as well as work-life balance.

Cons

Slalom's rich culture is focused on the consultants. If you are in an internal / corporate position, not only do you not receive the same "special treatment" as the consultants', you also don't get paid as much, or valued by the company.

Don't forget about the people inside that keep the machine running.

Aug 22, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your positive review and I appreciate your feedback regarding our internal / corporate employees. If you have more to share feel free to email me or call me at ... More

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!