Slalom Consulting Reviews

451 reviews filtered by
4.2
Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 88 reviews)

• Great Culture; Interesting projects; Challenging work; Opportunities to grow and Choose your career path (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also been a challenge to maintain work life balance as we've grown (in 9 reviews)

• Great flexible career path- but it is up to you to pick/choose where you want to go (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Management walks the walk

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy, growing business, by far the best people.

Most of all I can honestly say that this is the first consulting company where I feel "in control" of my destiny without being asked to sell out. I feel that leadership wants consultants to carve their own path, make their own game.

Cons

So far so good. I hear a few minor complaints from other consultants about the usual... "client is difficult to deal with", "why didn't I get a promotion", etc. My experience so far has been nothing but positive. I feel like the promotion process is very generous and clear.

Advice to Management

What Slalom has is special. I like the freedom to blaze my own trail and work "my way". Please do not make the promotion process some sort of formalized process that pits consultants against one another like other big 4 consulting companies. Collaboration is currency. I #lovemyfuture #withslalom.

Mar 20, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great that you are enjoying your colleagues and the work as well as the unique culture we have here. Your feedback regarding steering clear of ... More

2. Great dynamic growing consulting firm

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great dynamic growing consulting firm

Cons

not enough vacation time

The Future is Unwritten

Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in DFW, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working people, who have excelled at what they have done and continue to excel at slalom.

Great Compensation for a smaller consulting firm, I have read some complaints on Glass Door about Compensation, Sick Pay etc. All I can say is, if the pay and benefits were so great where you were why did you leave your last position (Really think about it)? Slalom is very upfront about all of the benefits. Slalom is evolving and growing and each year is trying hard to stay true to it's Culture, I really appreciate this, and so do a lot of my co-workers.

Understanding Management, I have never felt the boot of management on my neck, like some of the reviewers have harped on. This is wholly unfair to the great team that works hard to provide the best experience for their employees.

Chart Your Own Path both a Pro and a Con, it's a Pro to people with an entrepreneurial spirit, (Con) many of the hastily departed think they are going to "Land" at slalom and career-coast, without a can-do attitude you won't get far.

Slalom self-corrects, it's can-do culture scares a lot of people, this is fine, if you face your fears and grab the challenge by the horns you will be rewarded, and often your ideas and work will be implemented into the company! However if you shy away and grumble about how much better things should be, I am afraid you may find yourself looking at more green grass on the other side of the fence.

Cons

The only real Con I can think of is the Office Location, centrally located, but traffic is becoming an issue so making it the office can sometimes be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, it's easy to be a critic and through the lense of Glassdoor the critics seem to be the only ones making noise (Also there are a lot of good reviews). I am here to tell you that what you do matters, I really appreciate the effort it takes to be true to overall mission of slalom with all of the real constraints of clients.

What really gets me is the negative reviews on Glassdoor, while containing nuggets of truth here and there, don't really address the posters own failures, the failure to reach out and say something, or try something, a great company takes commitment from it's people, I have committed myself and have seen the company grow, and it's people prosper. I am proud to work at slalom because I know that there are great people leading the company, they believe in their people, and hard work will bring success. If you are reading the GlassDoor reviews and are considering working for slalom, please keep my comments in mind, slalom wants you to succeed!

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for leaving feedback on Glassdoor. It's wonderful that the benefits, culture, management and ability to “chart your own path” are all pros for you. It’s true that, even with our local ... More

5. The best company I have ever. worked for

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for 15 years and have had 5 employers in that time. The mix of amazing work opportunities, culture, and entrepreneurial nature are what make Slalom the best company I have ever worked for.

I have read the few negative reviews, and it's clear that those people didn't try. Slalom is a place where you can create what you want: want to work in X industry? Sell a project in X industry and you'll have the full weight and support of the company behind you. If you're unhappy at Slalom, it's probably your own fault.

John Tobin, President, makes it a point to stay connected to everyone in the company. You can e-mail the guy and expect a call or swift e-mail in return. He visit every office quarterly, if not more often, and takes all new employees to lunch to get to know them. His ability to remember the names of literally thousands of people is impressive.

Cons

401(k) match isn't as good as it could be. There is no typical path towards leadership like at most consulting companies (but there is no up or out policy either which is a big PRO).

Advice to Management

Slalom sells a dream. Don't bother selling it to people who don't really want it. Hire people who want to stay.

6. Better than most!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are plentiful for those who bring a willingness to work hard to realize their ambitions.
    Fast growing company leading to increased opportunities for all.
    Innovative career development framework available for consultants who understand that in order to advance your career you must be proactive.
    Get to work with some very smart and creative people.
    Constantly being challenged to grow and develop professionally.
    Good salary and overall benefits.

Cons

Typical cons of working for any consulting firm; unknown and typically longer commute times, complex and challenging work with tight deadlines, higher standards expected of your work product, work assignments can vary greatly sometimes interesting roles but other times staff augmentation.

I love consulting! I love the variety and the challenges of my role, but it can be tough. Clients will typically blame the consulting firm before taking any responsibility, but most consultants are professional enough to take it on the chin and move forward.

It's a tough job but I get to work with some amazing people at Slalom which makes it all worthwhile. If I wanted an easy job I would have been frightened away by the challenges of consulting long ago.

Advice to Management

Keep growing Slalom, more growth provides better opportunities for our people. Don't forget that People are at the center of what makes Slalom great.

Apr 24, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review of Slalom. It’s good to hear that the opportunities, the company’s growth, your colleagues and your compensation are all working well for you. You’ve attributed your ... More

Good company for work/life balance, lacking benefits, training and perks of other consulting companies

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life Balance - local consulting, no travel, no up-or-out, reasonable work hours

Cons

-Benefits - including 401k and vacation are not up to par with the rest of the industry

You are the owner of your success

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible company, great people, good opportunities, growing, good leaders, active in the community

Cons

PTO, still some staff aug situations as we grow client relationships

Advice to Management

Increase PTO

9. Good overall, but still a lot of ego within the firm

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Safe work environment that allows you to grow at your own pace. You can go as hard or essentially as "slow" as you want. It is entirely up to you in which direction you choose to grow your career.

Cons

Some internal power hungry folks that have an inflated sense of self worth for themselves...

Advice to Management

Stop promoting ego-centric, self promoting people that people really do not like working for.

10. Project specific experiences

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom as a whole seemed to be a well run organization that cared about it's employees. Some project work could be exciting

Cons

Each office was run in a silo. The projects were general staff augmentation rather than true consulting

Advice to Management

don't over sell

Great culture but the projects aren't great

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slalom focuses on maintaining good cultural value across all the offices. The GM and managing directors are passionate folks who are great leaders. In addition, the local model allows you to work where you live with reasonable hours. Lastly, I was really excited that slalom values getting involve with the community and it was one of the big reasons I stuck around.

Cons

The benefits are sub par at best with 15 days PTO. Projects are staff augmentation for the most part and people are starting to get tired of the discrepancy of what the CSL's are promising and what the actual work entails. It's understandable that the office is still growing and the leadership team are working on building the "slalom brand" but I would have appreciated if they didn't sell me on the fact that the work was not staff augmentation but consulting. Career advancement is very unclear and it's pretty obvious that certain people are favored more than others.

Advice to Management

Be crystal clear about the office goals for the next 5 years and consistent career advancement across all the offices. There are a lot of experienced folks that come in at the flat consultant level and are unsure what is coming up next. Having a consistent structure on place would be comforting for most people who come environments where paths were clear.