www.slalom.com

Updated 19 November, 2014
4.4

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • For those who want to take a balanced approach work-life balance is strongly supported (in 84 reviews)

• Great Culture, strong consultants, pushing towards a services oriented model placing teams to deliver results to clients (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• Too much staff augmentation projects (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Unleash your potential

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a career consultant this is the first company I've worked at where I can see, feel, and know that everything I do (i) impacts my clients, (ii) impacts my company & practice, and (iii) allows me to truly own my career.

Cons

There is a healthy tension that exists between "local market direction" and "national structure/strategy". This can result in different markets pursuing the achievement of larger strategy in different ways. For people who want a highly structured environment - this creates a bit of uncertainty.

Keep focused on the culture and everything else will work out.

Nov 21, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. You've identified some key aspects of the work and culture of Slalom and it's wonderful that you feel that you have a sense that you're making a ... More

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Area Director in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Slalom for the past 8 years and continue to believe that it is one of the best companies in the US to work for, and the #1 consulting company to work for. Over my time here I have experienced wonderful people, challenging opportunities, and great career growth. I have had the opportunity to work with a number of different clients in a delivery capacity, and as my career has progressed at Slalom I had the opportunity to add people management, business development, practice development, and operational support to my job activities. I would highly recommend anyone that is highly passionate and motivated and interested in consulting to look into this company.

Cons

One thing that I would caution folks is that Slalom is a work hard and play hard type of company. It is fast paced, and brimming with entreprenurial-spirited individuals. I know that sometimes this type of culture isn't for everyone.

Nov 20, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's great to hear that, over the years, your evolving roles with Slalom have continued to be fulfilling and challenging. If you have any other ... More

Great Place!

Current Employee - Client Service Partner in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Service Partner in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creative, smart and fun people dedicated to help our clients.
    Great work-life balance.
    No unwanted travel.

Cons

Ambiguity, though if you're driven you can make this work great for your career.

Keep going, love the growth opportunities and continue to support leader development (in addition to the years of consultant development).

Nov 21, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for writing a review. It's good to hear that you are enjoying the work/life balance, your coworkers and the Slalom model. Your advice regarding continued leadership development will be ... More

Slalom is one of those rare companies that truly challenges you to be better and provides the tools to do so.

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial feel because of the access to leaders but the structure and vision to evolve into a larger company. Firmly believes in their culture and mission and takes pride in hiring individuals desiring that culture.

Cons

Still a relatively lean organization so perks are not equivalent to some larger organizations. Does not matter though.

Slalom is reaching a broader brand recognition. Don't lose site that passionate individuals behind the company helped to establish that brand, and the importance of keeping that passion for those contributors will drive the company to the next level.

slalom

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good work life balance, minimal travel, sabbatical, culture

Cons

PTO is mininal, holidays are minimal, 401k is short of a joke

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

Care for the client and care for the consultant are constantly being balanced in a way that no one feels 2nd place.

Cons

Benefits are consistent with smaller firms, which can be a difficult transition from Big 4 type PTO, healthcare, 401k, healthcare, etc.

Keep up the great work!

No better place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

Pros

SMART people, great culture, fun, high level of corporate integrity, good hearted - good natured group of folks passionate about working hard, solving client problems and have work/life balance

Cons

career path is not totally clear. you have to be happy 'living in the moment' to work here.

it's great to have so many opportunity to get involved outside of work - sometimes there are too many options - it's overwhelming and I feel pressured to attend events.

Hands Down, THE best place to work!

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked here for 7+ years and Slalom has created an amazing culture that has withstood the growth of the company that so many other companies fail to do. Slalom has fantastic vision and an inclusive open culture that promotes innovation and connection with senior leadership. My peers, mentors and mentees are all diverse, smart and interesting people to work with. Slalom's approach to client management and partnership creates real value and interesting work for consultants.

Cons

Is any company perfect? This is as close as it gets.

Keep doing what you're doing!

The best people focused company I have ever worked with..

Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Practice Area Lead in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Awesome people and autonomy to execute on creative ideas to solve client problems. For consultants who want to take initiative the opportunities are endless at Slalom.

Cons

Professional development is self-driven not mandated. More PTO time would be good!

Continue to pay attention to culture. Leadership has done a good job of communicating so far and should continue to do so especially as the market changes and evolves.

Nov 14, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Sounds like the Slalom culture works well for you. I will be sure to share your feedback about mandated professional development and more PTO with ... More

Slalom Consulting

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, Values, Leadership, Vision, People - These are all things that I value in the place I work, and Slalom actually focuses a significant amount of time and energy on these areas. Additionally, they respect the employee's input in setting strategies and directions, and really seem more concerned about the health of the culture and the people than the finances of the company.

Cons

Too big of a secret. I learned about Slalom through a friend, and was really impressed when I got to know them. Since I have been here, I continue to introduce Slalom to my friends, and people I meet. It would be nice if when I met someone that actually knew of the company.

Invest more in marketing to get the word out. You have a great thing going but no one seems to know that is not directly involved with the company, or is a client of the company. I see other firms getting mentions in the news and wonder why we don't get mentions.

Nov 14, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your reflections on Slalom. It's wonderful that the people, vision and culture are a good fit for you. I will make sure that your feedback and thoughts ... More