Slalom Consulting

Updated 24 September, 2014
4.3

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson
Brad Jackson

Pros
  • Work-life balance is a priority and you can truly can go and grow at your own speed (in 69 reviews)

• Great culture and management listens to employees (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is (in 16 reviews)

• A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable, Innovative, Fun, Challenging

Current Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance. Executive leadership identifies areas to grow and solidly commits and follows through on seeing those changes happen. Lots of excellent, smart and hard working coworkers. Office has matured into many solid projects and advanced work.

Cons

There are definitely high expectations for productivity and participation when working here. I enjoy these things but not everyone does.

Things can get from calm to crazy depending on the project but that's sort of the nature of the work.

Continue with efforts to build collaboration and foster growth.

Sep 25, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughts. It's great that you enjoy your smart and hardworking coworkers. And yes, we're certainly full steam ahead with growth! I'll make sure that leadership hears your ... More

Great environment, happy people

Current Employee - Management Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, training opportunities, work-life balance, perks, entrepreneurial spirit

Some of the same, great people from the big consulting firms, minus the hand-slapping for not understanding convoluted processes that I was never trained properly on. It is a safe place to learn and grow deep skills. Looking forward to working with a variety of clients instead of staying at the same place year after year.

The environment is family oriented, and really supportive. It is easy to have a good time when you work with great people who are willing be to flexible and work together to achieve goals.

Probably the most significant difference is how easy it has been to step up and work on all of those things I never got exposure to before, but wanted to. I guess that is the benefit of being at a smaller company in general and how they help you get the experience you want.

Cons

Breaking into a new market for Slalom... but that is the reason why I joined in the first place!

Don't change! Everyone is focused on delivering excellent work and having fun while doing it... I think it will stay a fun and amazing place to work if you can keep things the way they are.

Sep 24, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoy your coworkers and the workplace culture so much. Good luck with the challenge of opening a new market! We're behind you ... More

Would work here again!

Former Employee - Internal Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Internal Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture; senior management cares about its employees; fun benefits (annual retreat, prizes, social opportunities/activities); work with really smart people; great "family" feel; great values; fast paced and growth oriented company

Cons

A lot of focus is placed on developing the consultant (career development, compensation, bonus structure, etc) and not a lot of attention is given to employees who are internal to the company (non-consultant). There aren't as many growth opportunities for non-consultants.

Look for ways to include everyone as the company grows (i.e. focus on the consultant and internal employees)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Come work with hard working, passionate individuals

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Slalom has allowed me to have a sense of independence I enjoyed when self-employed, and at the same time given me the support, drive, and sense of community I have enjoyed about working at a company. My experience with my team and management has been a very positive one, with honest interest from my boss on whether I am happy with my client, work and team, and a shared sense of responsibility for my career growth.

Slalom has some great perks, such as the 4 week paid sabbatical once reached 3 years/6k billable hours, some nice training and self-education resources, and a great support network across the organization.

My experience at Slalom has been a positive one, with management very interactive, interested in retaining consultants and understanding what is and is not working around the office. Slalom is very thoughtful in their hiring process, and therefore very invested in you and your happiness as an employee.

Cons

Not a large amount of paid time off; greater diversity within management is needed; while a lot of opportunities to participate in "non-billable" internal projects, business development, and "fun" office activities, often can become challenge to do all and balance with billable time.

Sep 23, 2014Communications Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We are working on our diversity initiatives and I will make sure that leadership hears your thoughts both regarding PTO and diversity at the ... More

Love it!

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a real spirit. Employees are happy to be here and challenged to do great innovative work. Everything promised in the interviews is true - this is the real deal!

Cons

Can't think of anything just yet!

Never lose this spirit!

An amazing place to work

I have been working at Slalom Consulting

Pros

A Great place to work, amazing culture.

Cons

Need to diversify management structure.

Need to diversify management structure.

More concerned with staff augmentation than delivering great work

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Slalom's salary, bonus, professional development, and consultant sabbatical programs are very competitive and attractive. The corporate culture is very much like a fraternity—the positive of which is always a great Christmas party, an all-expense-paid trip (including spouses and spices) in the Spring, and quartet events and happy hours throughout the year.

Cons

The work environment is often very hostile and even abusive at times. Consultant successes are rarely recognized but even minor infractions and hearsay are given great volume in Slalom's negative-focuses review process. Several employees, myself included, have even endured personal attacks on our character and families as a result of perceived performance issues at work. Managers are instructed to downgrade employee ratings and peer-reviews are dismissed out of hand. The sales and leadership teams don't demonstrate a good understanding of much of the work they're selling—specifically user experience and custom development work—and tend to see all the practitioners of these disciplines as interchangeable despite their specializations. Much greater emphasis is given to "butts-in-seats" billable time than to the quality of the deliverables. Criticism and collaboration are often discouraged and the work, frankly, shows it. There are some incredibly talented people at Slalom that could be doing much better work in a more constructive and less hostile environment. The company is also driven by people who espouse, but do not live, work-life balance. The result is a difficult environment for employees with families or aiming to have families. There is also little or no room for career growth outside of the sales path.

Consider the quality of the deliverable over the time spent on project—more money can be made of excellence in delivery than in staff augmentation. The calibre of consultant your looking to hire and keep expects benefits like competitive PTO, flexible scheduling, and better appreciation of work-life balance. Be less of a car dealership and more of a tech company.

Sep 19, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for providing the feedback and I will definitely share this with various leaders especially in the Atlanta office. One of the things we are working on is having more ... More

Employee retention could use some attention

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work life balance is good most of the time, but there have been projects that have required me to work weekends in order to meets the client's "deadline"
    - A lot of happy hour events, which allows you to really get to know your coworkers
    - Many fun extra-curricular events through the year

Cons

- Salary and overall benefits package is well below average compared to my peers (with the same job title) at other companies
    - Only two weeks of annual PTO (no sick days)
    - A lot of people (including myself) seem to just get thrown onto uninteresting projects that we may show marginal interest in
    - I feel too much like a "yes" man while at work
    - Too much staff augmentation projects
    - Generally not challenged enough

Great job keeping the morale up for the most part, but stop dangling a carrot in front of me and pretending Slalom is the best possible place to work! Most of my time at Slalom has not been *at* Slalom but with my client at the time! Also, I would love it if I could choose which client I work with! I feel that I have absolutely no input in the business development process. Some projects are micromanaged by the dev lead -- which is very frustrating!

Sep 23, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin and thanks for the "positive outlook" response and your feedback. Since I live in Seattle, feel free to stop by or schedule time to discuss any of this feedback you have in ... More

Private company that puts employees first

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people. Promotes work/life balance. Many extra activities outside of work to get involved with

Cons

Not always enough work to go around. Bench time if you are hired for specific skill, and no work available.

Clearer definition of what services company provides. Some employees hired for specific service(s) that have not materialized

Sep 23, 2014President & Co-founder, North America

This is John Tobin - Thanks for your review and feedback. We do try different offerings / practices at times and it can definitely be challenging to get the right balance of projects / skills for ... More

TRIM THE FAT and pass it to the worker bees!

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are top notch and just plain fun and interesting. I feel supported at my client and pushed to deliver great results.

Cons

Internal folks are unaccounted for . Consultants work their fingers off only to find that a few internal folks are paid 40 hours a week but don't work it yet are still reaping the benefits of the worker bees. Let's live up to "Always do Right." Sign-me up for full time pay where working part time is acceptable. It's discouraging and makes me seek the smaller leaner firms. Would hate to leave but I don't want my pay to be funding unproductive overhead. Oh, are we really employee owned....I am an employee and don't see ownership.

John and Tony need to look at their people and make sure folks know how to account for their hours...perhaps the extra cycles could be spent on billable work so folks know what it is like to be in the field. How about giving consultants Friday afternoon's off...PAID!

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!