Slalom Consulting

Slalom Consulting Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson

Pros:
  • "Work/Life Balance: It's very rare to work more than 40-45 hrs per week"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Great culture and management listens to employees"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Staff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is"
    in 15 reviews
  • "A lot of roles fall in the "staff augmentation" category"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fantastic.

Addison, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of happy hours. Awesome work/life balance. The culture is addicting.

ConsI have been here for 3 months now and haven't found anything wrong with what Slalom is doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job!

A life change, not just a job change

Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsThe overall engagement of the office is amazing. We really do live the core values, starting with "do what's right, always" and ending with "Smile". A very unique approach to people management and empowerment.

ConsIt's not for everyone, if you require massive amounts of structure and hand-holding, this may be harder for you. Not sure that's a con, just an observation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, not sure how you do it, but keep it up.

Excellent company to work for

Technology Consultant (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly higher management, Smart people, Lots of chances to work on different technologies, Lots of events, Good salaries

ConsBenefits are not good. Few off days. 401K starts after a year. Not enough space in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

People still don't understand bonus pay raise structures how to move up.

Business Consultant (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

ProsSocial, lots of events , opt in. Leaders take feedback. If your in the insiders group you will be heard.

ConsStaff Aug everywhere even when they say it's not it is what it is. Managers promoted with no people management skills, can't influence above or help direct reports. Invested tons into training which is really just a tracking system you can find expert training someplace else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThought we were getting away from big 4 mentality? Why are we hiring people who need to be trained in project mgmt and analysis? Shouldn't those be foundational skills? Promote the people who can really lead teams, get rid of ineffective middle managers, they just get in the way.

Great place to grow!

Management Consultant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are amazing! And the local model is refreshing!

ConsIt's not for people who aren't comfortable with challenging themselves with new/different opportunities or those who require a step-by-step guide on consulting. Experience is key.

A good stepping stone with rooms for improvement

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time

ProsThe company is doing a lot of great things, great culture & community if you choose to get involved, positive future with quick expansion, and has good "intention" to do right by their people and clients.

Cons* PTO is limited (sub par to consulting industry 18 days vs. 25+ days)
* No stock options (RSU or ESPP)
* Bonus is below industry (between 5-10%)
* Below industry standard for 401K match about 50% less than standard
* Base pay is average but if considering the entire package, then it's below industry standard
* Starting to hire lots of junior and non-consulting people, which makes it hard for team lead to deliver to clients on a consulting standard
* Not trying hard enough to keep the good people to stay
* Senior management sometimes will do/say anything to sell a project and staff their projects including some misleading or (not specified) expectations or take into account what the team members want
* There's an impression of mis-trust between management and everyone else for reason listed above

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your middle manager(s) are practicing the values that you preach on a consistent level.

Every day I come to work, I know I'm making an impact

Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture, very inclusive. Everyone is encouraged to get involved in areas they are most passionate about. In my two years with Slalom I've grown significantly, both personally and professionally.

ConsAs with any growing business, we're not perfect. However, I really appreciate the feedback driven approach our leaders take to implement change. I know I have voice here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in our people, clients, and communities. Empower everyone, from our newest hires to our leaders, to get involved. Recognize that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That's what makes this place special.

A great place to learn and grow.

Office Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are awesome and great to work with.
Management is supportive and genuine.
Internal culture and morale are strong and thriving.
The company is aggressively growing which is great for employees and exciting!

ConsLittle PTO/no floating holidays
Maternity leave policy

Hard working, creative, and fun place to work. Slalom Hartford is here for it's clients and it's employees.

Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for less than a year

ProsSlalom Hartford is fully focused on providing successful solutions for local clients. It affords you the opportunity to be proud of the work you are doing and feel like you are part of improving local area businesses rather than looking at them as sales figures - Slalom cares about the success of their clients. The culture in Hartford is the right balance of fun, creativity, and hard work. It is the right place for smart people who want to figure out solutions to complex business problems but still through a party once in a while. Ensuring an engaged and happy group of employees is a clear priority.

ConsThere are a lot of planned social events designed to promote teamwork and friendship among employees. Depending on personal interests these may seem to interfere with your personal balance. If you want to work 8 hours and go home without seeing anyone else, Slalom is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to leverage the great work being done in local markets such as Hartford to make them more broadly available. Do not break the local market focus consulting model.

Slalom is an amazing place to work that understands the value of talented employees.

User Experience Consultant (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Slalom Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSlalom usually hires the experienced consultant that has been there / done that and is done with it. So talented people that have adjusted their priorities. By catering to that demographic, they can retain staff for long term.

ConsMore vacation time would be nice, but the paid 3 week sabbatical after 3 years goes a long way to make up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and don't lose the culture.

Worked for Slalom Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Slalom Consulting Videos

Slalom Consulting – Why Work for Us?

What makes us unique? Slalom Consulting brings business and technology expertise together to help companies drive enterprise performance, accelerate innovation, enhance the customer experience, and increase employee… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Slalom Consulting reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Slalom Consulting CEO Brad Jackson. All 263 reviews are posted anonymously by Slalom Consulting employees.