Sitel

Sitel Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Sitel President & CEO Bert Quintana

Bert Quintana

Pros
  • It's work from home which can make it worthwhile initially(in 17 reviews)

• Learned a lot about customer service and the business(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This call center is the absolute definition of micro-management(in 14 reviews)

• 9/hr for a customer service position; the same job with another company could earn you(in 7 reviews)

Typical Call Center Environment

Bilingual Technical Support (Former Employee) Saint Catharines, ON

Prosmost people are ok if you are in a small team, good benefits, senior management friendly with employees, good values, casual dress code optional

Constoo much Voluntary Departure Time offered to the employees means loosing some businesses, low pay rate means losing valuable employees, not so up-to-date with technology

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade your tools, make more small dynamic teams, keep up your micromanagement on their toes, get more clients

It was a great experience.

Risk Management (Former Employee) St. Catharines, ON

ProsFun games to motivate, and always good advise. Also a university to educate yourself for management positions.

ConsSometimes a lot of QA pressure that can unnerve a person to preform poorly with the restrictions placed on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not be telling people not to laugh sat customers when the customer makes one laugh and likes it.

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Moncton, NB

ProsBest place to work great people good environment good pay

ConsStressful no extra hours less support

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They'll hire anyone

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) St. Catharines, ON

ProsEasy job to get with no experience, and it is full time hours. The calls are very easy and you can wear whatever you want to work.

ConsPays 10.75 an hour with no raises, even if you are promoted. The bonuses are rarely paid as promised, you usually get about half of what you earn.

Sitel St. Catharines: An awful place to work

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) St. Catharines, ON

ProsI enjoyed my peers. This has a 20 word minimum but there was nothing else I liked about the place.

ConsThere is a lot of micro managing, awful pay, shift bids every 90 days. They don't care about their employees, Operations and Team managers talk rudely about the reps behind their backs, and favoritism is huge there. I was employed there from 2006-2012. The new Operations team for the Cox campaign as of 2012 was the worst I've ever seen. They have no clue how to run the campaign and they don't care about their employees. I needed a flexible schedule because of my schooling, and this was never a problem until the new Operations team took over. All of a sudden I was no longer allowed to work part-time, I was forced to work full-time. I quit within a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to completely revamp your Operations team. Stop allowing them to promote their friends and actually promote people with decent education/people who know what they're talking about. Having managers in place who have never taken a phone call in their life is pointless and only makes for frustrated representatives, because the managers can't effectively answer their questions.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Saint Catharines, ON

ProsGreat training period, continuous for new products
    Support team was adequate while you were on the phones
    Feedback was provided for change that was needed of you on a regular basis
    Very positive atmosphere

ConsCan be stressful if you need to meet a quota
    Health benefits take a while to process
    Not much flexibility for your personal schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the benefits for employees who need and rely on them
    Improve schedule flexibility

The worst job I have ever worked in 30+ years

CSR-retention (Current Employee) St. Catharines, ON

ProsAbsolutely no real redeeming quality to the job. Most coworkers are very nice but it feels more like we are friends through sharing a common trauma. We are all trapped. Nothing good about the atmosphere or work conditions.

ConsVery poor training. We spent 4 weeks of "intensive training' and then were stuck out on phones with 2 support staff and no one even showed us how to log on to the phone. It is more like a high school than a work place. Floor support talk down to the csr's and leave you feeling afraid to ask for help.
    Very little incentive other than a free t shirt to improve. More likely thratened to be 'written up" than encouraged or supported. Middle management have very little job experise, since they were promoted through the ranks.
    There is no sense they care for their employees at all, as if they know we are here only because we cant be elsewhere. They put absolutely nothing beyond rhetoric into retaining staff. In 2-1/2 months I have taken 4 days (unpaid) off, anywhere else I have worked I missed 2 days a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your staff like teenagers. Treat them as if you believe they care about their work, not as if they are lazy kids trying to cheat you out of your hard earned money. Only promote staff who demonstrate empathy, positivity and problem solving, not because their your buddy. Provide time through the day for the csr to debrief or at least take a breather from constant calls. Recognize the tedious nature of the work, the often negative, depressing nature of most csr work. Stop assuming we will perform better when you dangle a logoed t-shirt in front of our noses. Stop promoting the 'teacher's pet', the 'jock', the 'hot chick', and promote the supportive, knowlegeable caoch. Respect your staff, act like youu care for us as more than ear and mouthpiece. Worst place to work- it is the sweat shop of the 21st century, and plays to the most vulnerable of the workforce.

Challenging workplace with lots of opportunities for learning

Team Leader (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsAs a business process outsourcing provider, Sitel facilitates employees exposure to a wide array of technology skills. Great work@home opportunities offers employees the convenience of working from home, resulting in savings for the employee and the company. Frequent training provided for skills upgrade.

ConsYour achievements may go unrecognized due to inefficient communication at the middle-management level. Some workplace locations do not have free parking.

The "has-been" outsourcing company of choice

Former Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) Saint Catharines, ON

ProsEmployees never miss a pay cheque.

ConsCompany does not know how to hire staff that understand the value of putting in a good day's work and therefore leave the minority of hard workers to make up for the majority of slackers. Management don't care and use a "buddy system" of promoting. They also offer few employees reasonable raises if a raise at all and yet newly hired staff with no experience are routinely paid more. Even so, the pay scales are so low, it's difficult to live a reasonable lifestyle unless of course you are one of the majority of 20's something staff that live at home and pay no rent and have nothing better to do than blow their money on "stuff". Those of us that have families hear this all the time. The office is more concerned about not losing the company's biggest client, Hewlett Packard, and go all out to eliminate what they "think" are threats to lose the contract. Many of the best employees overall may have a bad day and be fired on the spot for what is perceived as not being a team player and doing whatever is required to keep the client. There is no thought of taking care of the client's customer, that is a very low priority and yet staff deal with the client's customers and it is the unreasonable reviews that are based on the interaction with these persons.

Advice to Senior ManagementI cannot give any advice, there is no point. They don't ask for it now nor do they listen anyway.

The Customer support experts that could be customer focused

Technical Support Agent (Current Employee) Saint Catharines, ON

ProsSitel is a large company with its major shareholder being one of the largest corporations in Canada. This gives the company stability as the sharholder, Onex Corp, has an excellent track record for knowing how to manage companies. Sitel has also done well to attract Fortune 500 Companies, such as the client I work for, and as long as everyone does their job, the client is sure to stay. I like using my technical abilities and dealing almost entirely with business clients, Sitel has done well to attract a client that has almost entirely business customers that call this center for technical support.

ConsThe middle management are more interested in crunching numbers and chasing KPI's rather than finding out what the customer needs. They use the numbers to "cook the books" on individual employees so that "favourite employees", which are few, are guaranteed raises and promotions while the majority are guaranteed almost no chance for additional compensation and/or movement in the company. More than a few middle managers are incompetent and do next to nothing while making their front line people do their jobs for them all while taking the credit for the great things that happen and then point the finger at the employees when the client is "supposedly" not happy with performance. The company has strict rules about bullying and yet the middle managers subtely bully employees all the time and nothing can be done about it unless an employee wants to quit or risk being fired for standing up for themselves and what is right. The management are not interested in employee feedback. They will arrange "summits" and then walk away and ignore everything said by the staff. The biggest downside is going to paid training, the seminars are shortened by at least 50% of the allocated time and employees are then expected to go back to production work while they are being paid for training. Finally, the company does not provide any retirement support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe senior management is relatively new at this location and is still on a "learning curve". What he needs to do is make it priority #1 to personally audit the work of all of his managers and require that they set the example and spend a little more time with staff and a little less time staring at their KPI spreadsheets. The center needs to move to becoming customer-focused.

Worked for Sitel? Contribute to the Community!