Sikorsky

Updated 10 December, 2014
3.1

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

My employment at Sikorsky was a joke. When I brought to the attention that a much inexperienced employee was changing my

Former Employee - Liaison Engineer
    Former Employee - Liaison Engineer

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the employees are good people and want to put out a good product.

Cons

Family being in position that they have no clue about or experience.

Wake up before your L:iaison Dept gets you in trouble with the FAA

Final Assembly Supervisor

Former Employee - Final Assembly Supervisor in Stratford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Final Assembly Supervisor in Stratford, CT (US)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benfits, Great pay, Good people.

Cons

Goverment Controlled, union sucks. Hr does not support Supervisors.

Take back the floor.

Let your career hover at Sikorsky!

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to start as Sikorsky looks good on any resume.

Their Employee Scholar Program is a great way to get your masters degree and they will pay for it!

Week 52 is closed for factory shut down, so essentially another week of vacation.

Can move around departments and UTC to advanced your career and get a change of pace. You'll need to do this if you ever want to earn more $.

Decent medical benefits, dental was just OK.

Some really cool products and undoubtedly make the best helicopter available.

Cons

When you take a job here, make sure to negotiate your salary really high as UTC rarely gives out raises. Expect a raise and review every 18 months and the pay bump to be about 0 - 2 % increase. Most people will end up leaving as their pay is no longer in the competitive market.

Union runs the company and there is a great "us vs them" mentality. If you do anything with the union, expect a few "tunbacks" or grievances issued against you. UTC as a whole needs to review this toxic relationship.

Layoffs a plenty - estimate one per year. HR and the company never seem to have a correct amount of workers but it seems overtime is always given out.

Advancement is not realistic here. Expect to work in your role for 7 - 10 years before being considered for a promotion.

Nepotism is common. Expect to see departments where 5 people all have the same surname and treat their department like some secret society. Thus, like the other reviews, and "old boys" club is clear and present here. That being said, Sikorsky seemed to be hyper focused on hiring minorities for all managerial jobs without looking at qualifications.

Working in Engineering department is fulfilling.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

Enjoy the challenges of my technician job, especially working on many new projects. It is still satisfying to see a part we fabricate in the lab get tested on a flight aircraft. Decent medical benefits. Flexible work hours are a plus. General good will among workforce. The lunch-and-learns can be really interesting.

Cons

Raises are so small these days, compared with the eighties.

Good company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary if you work hard. Very good education program. Can move to many different positions based on performance.

Cons

No one is willing to admit they own a process. A lot of finger pointing and rear covering going on.

Good place to create foundation in Industry

Current Employee - Design Intern in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Design Intern in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

excellent graduate education program
    great starting salary (average)
    all engineers willing to provide assistance in time of need

Cons

long process to increase salary
    long process to "move up" in organizational chart

value the work of your worker(s) much more

Learned quickly why Sikorsky is known as the " Bully Company. "

Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Stratford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Purchasing Analyst in Stratford, CT (US)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sikorsky pays very well. As a buyer in procurement I found the work to be very challenging and never ending "plate was always full." Benefits are very good but like everything else changing with the times, cost continues to go up.

Cons

Very disappointed in Sikorsky's ethics, it's only talk. Example, in their buyers training classes the Supplier Quality Assurance Department sends in a person who tells the class "if your boss tells you to do something illegal, don't do it."
    If you go ahead and do it you can get in trouble with the government, if you don't you get terminated by your boss when SAC has their next massive layoff. All you need is to bump heads with one manager and your out the door plus "black listed within United Technology."

Upper management should take a good look at their mid level managers, a good percentage of them should not be in a managerial position. Their actions will some day get SAC in major troubles with the government.

Good company if you are working directly on a helicopter program

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty stable company with OK benefits such as defined contribution and 401k matching as well.

Cons

If you are not working in one of the helicopter program, then you are consider non-essential staff and consider overhead.

discuraging place to work

Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT (US)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pays ok.. coworkers are great, enviroment can be negative often times

Cons

management is horrible and they keep adding layers of management because someones son or daughter needs a job!

An excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Though it has a deep sense of factional (departmental) pride, over all, this is by far one of the most customer, community, and employee conscious companies that I have worked for in over a decade. They are driven and well-balanced.

Cons

Factional: the main facility (Stratford, CT) has a strong union presence. There is a strong sense of "us vs. them" between blue and white collar workers. These hang-ups often lead to misunderstandings and energy can be wasted on soothing ruffled feathers.

Suggestion: "Get over it!"

Do more to bring blue and white collar factions together. Sponsor events that will help them to get to know one another. Erase the "us vs. them" stigma and help get things moving smoothly.

Sikorsky Photos