Sikorsky

Sikorsky Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer

Mick Maurer

Pros:
  • "Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program"
    in 18 reviews
  • "I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Located in a high cost of living area"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Sometimes work life balance can be tough with high profile programs which is very understandable"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast paced with an emphasis on quality and safety

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits, and a employee scholar program that anyone can take advantage of.

Consreducing the cost of poor quality (COPQ) and keeping OT under control

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to list to the people working on the floor, and re-introduce the suggestion system which worked so well in the past.

Opinion on Working At Sikorsky

Operations Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are excellent - they offer a variety of levels to choose frm that vary in price and number in family

ConsLong hours during the close every month, quarter, and at year end. There are many reviews prior to finalizing forecasts and plans

Advice to Senior Managementconcerned about EH&S and Ethics

A Great Stepping Stone for The Ambition-Minded

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSikorsky has a tremendous heritage with deeply-embedded values and respect for its founder. From the shop floor to the c-suite, you can meet new people with fascinating backgrounds, a strong work ethic, and high moral values every day. I’ve heard a number of nightmare manager stories, but mine were generally talented, supportive of a healthy work/life balance, and treated me like an equal. With some luck but also through my own initiative, I was able to work on exciting and experience-building projects that took me to locations around the US and around the world. While the program wasn’t as generous as it used to be, I was still able to get a master’s degree paid for in-full with the Employee Scholar Program. Not to mention, the product is totally, unequivocally awesome.

ConsYears of unhealthy and unchecked nepotism are being combatted with aggressive diversity programs for women and minorities. Unfortunately, this may leave non-diversity candidates who relocate to an expensive area for a modest salary in an unbreakable bind. It was even more disheartening to be surrounded by ‘part of the furniture’-type employees who were less motivated but lived much more comfortable lives by comparison. I didn’t want to leave, but I couldn’t seem to get ahead from my contributions alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the news is any indication, Sikorsky and its suppliers can’t afford to continue to rely on one customer for forever. Sikorsky has the ability to attract talent that want to solve the next generation of world issues and improve the notion that helicopters aren’t safe enough or viable enough to meet these challenges.

It's a Job, but oh, what a way to make a living.....

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat product, access to cutting edge technology, education program.

ConsCONSTANT layoffs!!! Rumor mill surrounding layoffs, very political place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the practice of hire / fire management. That is NO WAY to run a company. Keep up with technology as the product matures.

Constant instability and stuck in the 80's

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than a year

ProsPart of the UTC Family so there are perks along with decent pay. My co-workers were great.My immediate manager was a joy to work for.

ConsBehind the times. not very diverse. Upper management out of touch with the workforce and doesn't respect the people who actually do the work. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the talent you hired a chance to shine. Increase the number of weeks vacation

Cool product, but your just a number

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Product, supporting the troops

Consto the company you are just a number, no personalization. Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living. Even though the company has had its biggest profits and margins in history, every year is furloughs and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the small guys, they are the ones who really keep the company running.

Good company to work for.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, Opportunity to grow.

ConsFear of lay off all the time since major business depend upon government fund and decisions.

Exciting product, great work, fantastic co-workers, uninspiring leadership

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I worked with from the factory floor to 1st line leaders to professional staff to engineering were the most talented and dedicated and team oriented I have ever worked with.

ConsThe top line management was stuck in the old school management paradigms and completely lacking in team building and leadership skills. Although, there were some notable exceptions, top management spoke a good line but clearly acted opposite of modern management theory.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen carefully, observe intently, and get some additional help in training/mentoring effective leaders. Then proceed with far less talking and lead by strong example.

Employed for 20 years in many different jobs.

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOverall good benefits and they pay for education.

ConsThe ethical culture is poor and very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would benefit the customer, employees, and community if you focused on fostering a positive culture focused on employee involvement. Avoid further ethical pitfalls founded on political gain or self-interests. Get back to implementing continuous improvements that focus on driving business results and not just checking the box for audit purposes

Busy but disorganized

Engineering Proposal Analyst (Former Employee)
Stratford, CT (US)

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood people who are helpful when you ask questions

ConsTechnical jargon is difficult to follow, not much solid documentation of internal job processes, and slow turnaround with many processes (i.e. help desk, proposal inputs). People are very overworked

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp internal process documentation

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sikorsky reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Sikorsky CEO Mick Maurer . All 188 reviews are posted anonymously by Sikorsky employees.