Shutterfly

Updated 25 November, 2014
3.8

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold
Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Shutterfly

Current Employee - Igen Press Operator in Fort Mill, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Igen Press Operator in Fort Mill, SC (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a strong company that takes care of their people. I worked for them for 8+ years and was able to grow with the company when it came to NC. It has strong core values . Shutterfly is a company that invest in their peoples success as well as thier own

Cons

Only 1 member of management that was disrespectful and rude .

Keep up the great work.

Very nice Company to work with, great culture.

Current Employee - Lead Data Warehouse Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Data Warehouse Engineer in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I love the culture of the company. the people are nice, friendly and open. Your thoughts and ideas are valuable.

Cons

The package is decent, The culture is awesome, The team members I am working with are very helpful and available.

Great Company. Substantially lower pay-rates from when the original Shutterfly CEO was on-board.

Current Employee - Workfow Coordinator in Shakopee, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Workfow Coordinator in Shakopee, MN (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly, good people with a clean, safe, and cutting-edge work environment.

Cons

Pay is not excessive or competitive with companies in the same field or business.

Get away from trying to save money with so many temporary workers during the "busy season", or Q4 as it is referred to. Most workers from temp. agencies are not able to keep the high-quality that you need and should not be operating super high-tech and very expensive $1 Million+ machines, get a clue. Hire on the very best people that deserve the positions and have mastered the machines/processes, not the "yes men" and "boot-lickers" that you seem to hire most often...

Not recommended

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch on Wednesdays, free beverages and healthy snacks. Generous employee discounts. Casual office attire.

Cons

When I started training (if you can call it that...I watched someone else in my department do their job while talking through it very quickly, for about a half day before I was sent away to do my own thing), I was confused as to what job I had actually been hired for. Between what the hiring manager told me in my phone screening, what my direct manager told me in my interview, and what job actually was, I felt extremely misled. It's like they tell you the job is one thing so you'll take it, and once they've sucked you in and you're actually in the office, they let you know what you'll actually be doing, which is way different from what they initially said.

Paid time off is decent, but if you call in sick you get demerits. Beware of this demerits system. It's absolutely ridiculous. Holidays are confusing and I'm still not clear what days are off and what days are overtime pay, and no one seems to be able to confirm those details with me.

Be more clear with employees, and stop punishing your employees for being ill.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Bindery Technician
    Current Employee - Bindery Technician

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits. Cant complain. Gets a little too busy for my liking in the holiday season but that is only a couple months a year. the rest of the time it is a nice place to work

Cons

No retirement matching, long hours

I've learned a lot about what kind of company I don't want to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Mill, SC (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's a pretty chill and laid back job. As long as you do what you are supposed to do, no one bothers you. You get a bunch of free stuff.

Cons

Bad morale in the call center. After the peak season, if there aren't that many people calling in, you get sent home with no pay. These customers are some of the nastiest, most rude, and most needy people I have ever encountered before in my life.

Listen to your employees and care more about the morale. The happier your employees are, the better customer service they will give. Remember, your employees are YOUR customers too!

Awesome

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

I like the Worklife balance

Cons

Technology platform needs some improvement

A great place to work with awesome people around

Former Employee - Web Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Web Engineering Intern

I worked at Shutterfly as an intern

Pros

The employees are very supportive and helpful. Everyone respects you. The work environment is very good. Not at all stressful. A great place to work.

Cons

I think there are hardly any cons as such.

Amazing Company to work for

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

This company is amazing to work for. Extremely innovative, excellent product quality and customer service. Truly delivers on customer satisfaction and sharing memories.

Cons

Continuing to keep alignment across all brands and facilities

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA (US)

I have been working at Shutterfly as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A great atmosphere to work in. People are nice. Collaboration is encouraged.
    The Santa Clara Office has amazing views of Great America Park and the new 49ers stadium.
    Lots of perks in the office, like food/drink/snack, ping pong and foosball tables.

Cons

They treat contractors as a bit of a second sort employees. Not invited to company events, cut unceremoniously.

Consider retaining a contractor that already knows the stack, if he wants to stay rather than hiring a new person to re-train.