Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated 26 January, 2015
3.3

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount was nice for buying light groceries and cosmetics (in 29 reviews)

• 30% discount is great, but that's the only pro I can think of (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• I've worked for 5 years and I barely get paid more than minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally positive - work in cosmetic dept.

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Lots of fun assisting customers with cosmetics - good environment to work in

Cons

Nothing major to speak of -

It is a relaxing environment depending who you work for. There are potential for growth if you put the effort into it.

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Store is not too big and staffs are usually friendly. Staff discount is always good.

Cons

Potential enforced volunteer work before becoming an employee. Too much politics in work place.

Fun environment, not worth sticking around.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Victoria, BC

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I made some really great friends through SDM. I enjoyed the 30% discount, the relatively easy to operate tills and more professional than some customer service gigs around. Great place to work if you get a lot of prescriptions!! (no filling fee) Also had the opportunity to try almost every aspect of the storefront, and granted a lot of responsibility. Online scheduler helped a lot if your manager updated it!
    They were recently bought by Loblaws which will likely make it better with President's Choice products and influence from those brands.

Cons

I was definitely overworked during school time (like 32h a week plus my full time school), and there was little way of negotiating out of it. Company preaches 'health' for customers but my pharmacy was definitely not clean, and the employees had a wealth of health issues from working there so long.
    So many uneven rates of pay for the same work. Time off was sometimes difficult, and I often felt we were improperly staffed for the demands.
    *They did pay overtime, and it is apparently not allowed according to SDM corporate policy. I was definitely too young to really understand the severity of this but they would not acknowledge time and a half pay and would just pay you standard time instead. I knew people who worked 80h weeks at some points of the year, it's despicable.""
    The Optimum card was HEAVILY drilled into us all the time to the point where we would be told tricks to force people to sign up for more than one.
    Uniforms are hideous - gave me rashes.
    The store I worked in was so incredibly busy it was like running a marathon every 8h+ shift.

I definitely worked with far less effective management than most reviews here, however, I would like to note to those who don't already know that each store is owned individually by the pharmacist, rather than as one unified corporation like London Drugs. So the interests of the pharmacy owner and their partner in crime (ie store manager) can heavily bend away from the standard corporate image. If they're obsessed with being the best or making the most money, their employees will definitely feel the brunt of it.

good

Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was a good and easy kind of job but you always need to be doing something cause the managers keep an eye on you through the cameras. its an awesome job for someone who is a student and can make flexible hours for those people. the people i worked with where very friendly people.

Cons

shoppers drug mart is the most boring place to work because no one really comes there and you really need to have your hands busy with something or the managers will think of you as lazy or unproductive.

none at all your doing good

Stupid head office bulls*

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Discount and benefits aren't bad if you are a full time employee.

Cons

Head office cutting hours, yet expecting the store to look spotless after all big promos. Having staff work on holidays because visit from Head Office next day.

All stores should boycott these unreasonable expectations and not stress, not tidy, and let head office see what stores actually look like. All this work on Christmas Day, and District manager comes in for 15 min and STILL finds something to complain about.

Easy, common question

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

stable company, good benefits, easy work, good training

Cons

Gets boring when theres no customer, long standing

Opportunity for advancement and promotion

loved it

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

good co workers. good customers

Cons

low pay. no promotions long standing

more pay

Great as a first job to gain experience, but wouldn't want to work here long term.

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working part-time usually allows for a flexible schedule, and working full-time comes with decent benefits. They hire a lot of young people, so it's a great place to learn the basics of handling cash, loss prevention, merchandising and customer service. Management is very appreciative of feedback and are prompt in replies.

Cons

The training was poor, you learn most things as you go along which makes it embarrassing between you and the customer when you don't know something and they do. They pay minimum wage. There is no customer service counter so cashiers have to deal with refunds, points updates, sell cigarettes, bus passes and work the lottery which causes long line ups very quickly. A lot of transactions, (mostly refunds) require supervisor authorization so the cashier and customer are left to wait for a supervisor to come, causing line ups again. Getting customers to sign up for the Shoppers Optimum Card is your priority, which is easy for some employees but really hard for others.

Training needs to be much more in depth in covering certain procedures, store policies, etc.

Part time cashier

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Nice team to work with.

Cons

The wage is Minimum wage

Great place to work, easy process after I've been a stay at home mom, it was hard to get hired, part time hours were flexae shifts.

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

Easy process, friendly environment, work is not bad.

Cons

I'm a merchandiser, I'm not sure if it's part of the job I'm doing allot of running around for others, also have my own work that has to be done and running around all Night getting and doing stuff for others, I'm afraid I won't get my work done on time.

Pay for merchandisers should be more it's a lot of lifting and running around plus you have to do cash back up, how am I supposed to get my work done. At least $11.75 per hr.