Shoppers Drug Mart

Updated 29 September, 2014
3.4

Shoppers Drug Mart President & CEO Domenic Pilla
Domenic Pilla

Pros
  • 30% discount comes in handy especially if you have an expensive taste for cosmetics (in 27 reviews)

• Employee discount (even in boutique stores with high-end cosmetics) (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Head office putting too much work, no time to actually enjoy the job (in 16 reviews)

• big company HR department that supports executives, touts work-life balance in policy only (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good enviroment

Current Employee - Receiver  in  New Westminster, BC
    Current Employee - Receiver in New Westminster, BC

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company
    No big problems
    Nice people

Cons

Schedule change everything week
    No dental care

Feeling happy to work in store 0613

Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert  in  Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Beauty Boutique Expert in Markham, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Co workers, supervisors are very nice.
    Beauty boutique manager is awesome, never giving you hard time.

Cons

Nothing has been improved, absolutely no complaints at all, I'm so proud of working in this store.

No advice, everything is doing great.

Approachable employees

Current Employee - Front Store Cashier  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Front Store Cashier in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned how to work on Lottery Machine. Learn about Optimum Cards. There is a lot of promotions.

Cons

Doing the changes on prices for promotions everyday.

Consider someone working as File Maintenance regular check of price tags.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs some management skills

Current Employee - Cash Supervisor  in  Kelowna, BC
    Current Employee - Cash Supervisor in Kelowna, BC

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work here cause it is close to home. The benefits and discounts are good if you can get full time. The people I work with are great.

Cons

My biggest challenges are the hours. Also I find the communication in the store needs a lot of work.

I think that the upper management should connect more with the employees and look at what employees need to balance their home life. I find at my age the working nights then having to open is not fair.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Cosmetic Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

professional, high standards, fair pay

Cons

high demands, work life balance difficult at times

Terrible. This company treats its employees like garbage

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were nice and the 30% discount was nice. I worked at two different shoppers and found that one shoppers was a much better work environment than the other.

Cons

One of the biggest cons I would say is definitely that as a cashier that you don't get paid to count till. That's 15 minutes part of your shift that you don't get paid for - even though you're suppose to stay until the end of your shift. That is totally unfair and rips off employees. There is no formal way to give feedback to management. Cashiers would get in trouble for long line ups when management would only put 2 cashiers on staff. Management seemed to blame everything on employees and not take into consideration their own faults. Also, it's also annoying that Cosmetics is always upset at cashiers when people buy make up products at Cash. What are we suppose to do send them away?

Start paying employees what they deserve - considering they have to work to 12am in the morning. There has to be a way for management to be evaluated as well.

Cosmetic Manager

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart

Pros

30 percent discount.
     Store manager was amazing but also left

Cons

Too much work not enough manpower. I worked a large formate store by myself most of the time ( got 14 hours a week for merchandizing). Was expected to do all the ordering, daily lowstock, cycle counts, planos, schedules, meet with reps, gather returns, monthly counts of all derm lines and fragrance, put out daily orders, plan galas, keep lockup tidy, manager paperwork, house keeping of department, all of this while trying to meet targets and supply customers with good customer service . Also on my own time expected go on Shoppers University. What a joke how can they expect so much but give so little I was paid $16 @ forty hours but worked anywhere from 44-46 hours. I left 2 hours early once and lost two hours pay.

Associate needs to appreciate employees more and pay them for their hard work.

Great people, lack luster senior mgmt in some areas, lots of room for improvement.

Former Employee - Technology Analyst  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Technology Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many wonderful coworkers! Good working conditions. Role can be as challenging as one wishes to make it, but you have to ask and push. Flexible work hours. Some excellent managers, I was lucky to have one!

Cons

Executive IT management fails to see technology as a differentiator in the industry, or if they see it they lack the drive to get projects focused on advancements.
    Decision making time lines at senior mgmt levels are very slow and often impact projects, but the projects are still required to deliver on time, usually at the expense of quality.
    Internal squabbles and power struggles between IT ops and IT projects make the environment toxic.
    Some managers and their staff just don't care and are going through the motions, the senior management allows this to continue.
    Some senior/executive mgmt are very focused on making sure they look like stars but care little who they step on to accomplish that.

Listen to your technology professionals that have the ideas to advance the business from a technology (mobile, online, back office) point of view. Shoppers is so far behind.
    Turf poor managers and their lazy staff.
    From executive management on down to front line staff, stop just talking the talk, start walking the walk. Values are more than a poster on a wall!

Pleasant work experience and coworkers

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Ottawa, ON
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Ottawa, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good part time jobs available for students, full-time jobs such as pharmacists or management currently make good living salaries for Canadians, coworkers/staff are generally very polite and friendly and follow regulations, 30% discount on everything bought at shoppers.

Cons

Barely any opportunity to advance in career, stuck where you are with your current salary unless you are planning on working as a manager or owner at some point. Without a degree there isn't really a chance of going anywhere big in this career path

District management of Ottawa seems to be hiring owners who are younger/more gullible/easy to control and will work for less money and do what they're told. Not a very good way of doing things, but more money to the big guy is better for the big guy, which is probably their reasoning. Wouldn't want my end goal to be a shoppers drug mart manager or owner considering the current way things are done around there.

decent

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Niagara, ON
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Niagara, ON

I have been working at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

stable company, great locations, always willing to innovate

Cons

constant need for short-sighted expense cutting and productivity improvement; should encourage more individuality in stores rather than 100% " cookie-cutter " approach; if it " ain't broke... don't try to fix it " i.e if results are above par take a more measured approach to operational issues. Continue operational controls with things like security.... but empower staff to give good service and improved sales.... e.g. why do registers sign off in 60 seconds; sometimes slow to update technology and implementation is done without enough feedback..... e.g. new hand held scanners are inferior

treat experienced employees as assets rather than commodities; invest as much in people as you do in leaseholds and fixed assets; train mid-level VP's and DM's to be more people oriented and less like " numbers " people

Worked for Shoppers Drug Mart? Contribute to the Community!