Sheetz

Updated 5 December, 2014
3.8

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Good pay for the area, benefits are decent (in 27 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday (in 12 reviews)

• open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Drama filled

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sheetz

Pros

Great benefits, great culture overall, many advancementry opportunities.

Cons

Often short staffed for the standards the company puts in place. Certain stores have high drama and not much is done to fix them.

Staff the stores for the success that you want to see in the future, not the business we are doing today. Make a clear job description for your salaried managers and get them out of the kitchens so they can run your stores and not just the kitchens.

Exhausting

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sheetz is a family owned company and has a great culture. The benefits are very good and there is room for advancement.

Cons

The stores need more labor to meet the corporate standards that they impose. Stores are open 24/7. You work all holidays.

Quit being short sited and give the stores labor so they can be a better place to work.

Easy work, great people, wonderful job, and good pay.

Current Employee - Salesperson in Hagerstown, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Hagerstown, MD (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sheetz typically beats other entry-level, no experience needed positions pay wise. In md it's 10 starting, which isn't bad. If you're a nice person, you have a lot of opportunities to make some good friends. Store meetings are always fun, and I can't wait for the next Christmas party, it's a great place to work if you like a company that will take am interest in you as an employee.

Cons

You do have to put in quite a bit of time before the company actually "acknowledges" you, and you get benefits packages. If you're not the greatest in the kitchen, you might get lower hours than you want, but don't worry, there's always (yes, always) an extra shift to pick up. The biggest con I notice is people not being able to work under stressful situations. You WILL be EXTREMELY busy in your kitchen; sheetz might be a gas station, but they operate at a regular restaurant level. The only difference is, other restaurants have two or three dedicated people to do the things that one person will dedicated to do at sheetz, sometimes, but not always, with help. This means stocking multiple units, cleaning multiple parts of the store, and typically filtering a fry machine, all while handling customer orders. Difficult, but not impossible. And in addition to the kitchen duties, expect to help in the barista area, and with customers in line at the register. You might also have to start your job cutting your teeth on overnight shifts, but do well enough and show enough interest and you can move wherever you please, really. Don't expect to move up in the job too quickly, manager favoritism runs rampant at most stores, and don't be surprised to have at least one manager that nobody can figure out how they got their job.

Decent place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Person in Youngstown, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Youngstown, OH (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's not a bad place to work.

Cons

1. Weird shifts.
    2. Constantly changing policys, which gets stressful & frustrating.
    3. Hard to move up unless you're a suckup.
    4. Having to work holidays.

Listen to your employees
    should be closed for christmas at least
    kitchen closed on holidays
    less strict about policys

Sheetz is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sheetz is a great company to work for. They offer good benefits and great pay for the type of job.

Cons

Some of the policies are a bit too strict in my opinion. I've seen too many people lose their Job for ridiculous reasons.

A positive place to work.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Great store management (in my store)

Cons

If you get a break, it is extremely short.

Keep on doing what your doing and your employees will keep making you success.

overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Frederick, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at Sheetz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits are good, pay is decent for retail. The company is a fun place to work overall. My store wasnt great but I saw this atmosphere in other stores I visited.

Cons

must work around the clock and all holidays. Absolutely kills the social and family life. The management at the store I worked in was absolutely horrible. They were Cocky, rude, gossipy. There was only one manager that was worth her weight.

listen to your employees when they tell you something is wrong, don't sweep it under the rug

corp employee.....many pros but extremely cheap on salary.

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good work atmosphere
    gym is a plus

Cons

pay is under market value
    upper management plays favorites
    uneven workload

treat your employees how we treat customers and the company will be better off.

Poor management, No workplace community feeling, and plenty of destructive criticism.

Former Employee - Barista/Cashier
    Former Employee - Barista/Cashier

I worked at Sheetz part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They generally start their employees out at above minimum wage and tend to give raises pretty often (once a year on your hire date). Sheetz hires from within so it allows for entry level employees to become shift manager and then store manager pretty quickly.

Cons

The store manager was stern, critical, and unpleasant to work with virtually all of the time. I feel that Sheetz as a company should place more thought into the promotion process as opposed to the mindless ladder-climb that it is by testing interpersonal communication skills.

I would suggest enforcing a measure to ensure that management works to improve employee morale and affection for the company.

great place if your supervisors like you!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Sheetz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

really enjoyed the flexible schedule. work load is more than other jobs, but in the right store it is a lot of fun! the bonuses are a nice perk and other incentives like gift cards and free items are too. Most of the customers are awesome.

Cons

some people don't accept responsibility and put pressure on others so they don't have to work. feedback and coaching is lacking, as is communication between shifts. the company says it's a family company, but they really are only concerned about the bottom line. even if you are a great worker, you might not make advancement if you aren't well liked by upper management.

listen to your employees when they have something to say. working with the needs of your team brings people together, if it's not taken advantage of. it would be nice to feel like someone actually cared about you as a person instead of just results.

Sheetz Photos