Shaw Group

Shaw Group Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Group Chairman, President, and CEO James M. Bernhard Jr.

James M. Bernhard Jr.

Pros
  • people oriented, pays very well, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy ways rule this kingdom, very old school and very cut throat (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, little time to get home (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company taken over

ProsI had a job so, pay was ok,

Constoo many bad managers in the energy and chemicals divison. They promoted their friends

Accountant

Accountant (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsGreat Team Work, Flexible Schedule

ConsLower pay than industry's rate

I believed in the Shaw Family concept including staff and our customers

Customer Care and Retention Specialist (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsUpbeat, leading edge technology, fast paced industry and we are supplied very quickly updated to support our customers with the best info and grow the Shaw business and our commission also grow...

ConsBeen with Shaw just over 5 years and the intimate family concept and the core values that the company still to this day remain the same but in reality "Whats best for the business" which is right but both the personal family "We" is now a weak link and Balance another core value..does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and integrity works both ways.
    I'm heartbroken by the trickery and not being recognised for my contribution that I didn't even realize that people were being placed near me to learn my style of intimate and respectful approach with the customer and more importantly my way of letting the customer know we really value them as our customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good People

Prospeople oriented, pays very well, good work life balance

ConsSr management definitely work in silos - different in each dept.

Really good company

Software Developer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsGood pay, friendly people, nice offices, excellent benefits.

ConsUpper management descisons appear irrational sometimes. Sometimes these poor choices end up affecting many people's jobs negatively.

Great Pay!!

Lead Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsExcellent salary compared to other local EPC companies (like bantrel, colt, snc). Three weeks vacation.

ConsNot many large projects to work on. Manhours hours are inadequate for most projects. Some departments like piping are poorly staffed. Project engineers are not very experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementChase projects with limitless manhours. EPC work is preferred over FEED projects.

Poor Management who do not care about quality.

Process Engineer 2 (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsSome coworkers at this location are good to work. Benefits are decent.

ConsThe Toronto office has very poor management from the project level to department managers. Projects are always late and over budget. Numerous clients have stated that they will not work with Shaw again because of poor execution by Toronto office.

The majority of the Toronto "Ivory Tower" staff are lazy and technically incompetent. They are more concerned with their individual goals/salaries than the company or projects.

Employees are treated like overheads and numbers. Hard-work, merit and performance are not considered during retention. Favoritism, friends and politics play an important role in the office especially during raises and lay-offs.

There is NO training for junior engineers. Company policies are not followed by managers. Typically career length is 1-2 years till you are fired. High turnover in the last year (over 200 laid-off).

Anyone considering working at Shaw’s Canadian office should consider contractor work not full-time status because chances of being laid off in 6-12 months is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over by firing some of the senior managers in the Toronto office. Focus on client retention

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary is competitive, company provides diverse energy services to customers

ConsRetirement could be better, new employee inclusion could be improved

Great learning experience

Warehouse Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) La Porte, TX (US)

ProsFlexible hours and great benefits

ConsSlow pay raises not able to make a lateral move

Good company while it lasted

Electrical Engineer II (Former Employee) Stoughton, MA (US)

ProsLarge company with lots of opportunity for those who like to travel. The exposure to subject matter experts is incredible so there will never be a technical question left open. I worked for Shaw for 6+ years and really enjoyed my co-workers and the overall experience.

ConsThe company is made up of multiple satellite engineering offices and the distribution of projects and, by default, exposure to new engineering opportunity became less and less evenly distributed across those offices despite relevant experience and competencies. The down side to not being willing to travel and not being located at engineering headquarters.

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!