Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Updated 1 December, 2014
2.8

George P. Bevan

good people, horrible management

Former Employee - Scientist IIII in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist IIII in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

depth of knowledge of technical staff.

Cons

poorly lead middle and upper management.

stop cycling through every "hot" idea that comes out

Great company with good HR and benefits.

Former Employee - Records Manager in Hazelwood, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Records Manager in Hazelwood, MO (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, team oriented co-workers. The company benefits were very reasonable for cost and offered a scale for single and family options. The managers at the site I worked with were the best I have ever worked with in a company.

Cons

Short contract work. At the end of the contract with the Corps of Engineers there would be no available place to go. There was not a lunch or break area, so workers at offsite or at their desks and were constantly interrupted.

There is a need to really consider advancement from within, instead of filling the position and then announcing the vacancy with it already filled behind the scenes.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Quality Control Inspector in Fort Rucker, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Control Inspector in Fort Rucker, AL (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, time home, with family

Cons

Some Personnel were not as nice as they should be.

More Frequent Pay raises

Good, but easily could have been better.

Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very little, if any; management involvement in daily activities.

Cons

Very thing has to be approved by a Vice President or above. They either do not know how to delegate authority or are afraid to delegate authority.

Learn how to delegate authority. Chasing for Vice Presidents to get signatures for routine business matters is a waste of money / time.

An average to above-average place to work

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I

I have been working at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A solid company with generally nice and professional people.

Cons

Poor or absent raises most years. Too much emphasis on billable work; not enough focus on professional development/training.

Encourage coorperation between offices and business groups to more fully utilize company resources.

Under utilized, degraded, and unappreciated

Former Employee - Project Business Administrator in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Business Administrator in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro that remained while I worked at Shaw was that I was employed and my home was less then 10 minutes away. I also met a few great people.

Cons

Micro Management; HR inconsistencies; No appreciation; Poor moral; Failure to train new employee's properly; Stone age processes; No willingness to embrace new ideas and processes. Failure to recognize a good job, and reward for it.

Get your head out of the sand and realize that the people in the field are the ones that should be applauded for their hard work. Not punished

Procurement Manager

Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Trenton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Trenton, NJ (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are really good to work with, and try to work as a team.

Cons

Was recently bought by CBI, Might be a good thing, but....
    A little more communication would be appreciated, and consistency of information when given. However, you can probably say that about most companies.

Update purchasing computer system.
    Be consistent with information.

Lucrative if you travel, for the most part this company does not care about its employees and management is subpar.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I met some really great people and learned different aspects of the environmental field that I had not been involved in before which padded my resume.

Cons

There is a lot of travel involved, and when a project is over have fun trying to find other projects to jump on board with so that you aren't charging your time to overhead. Also there were certain staff who are known to cause problems throughout the company and have so for years with their inappropriate behavior which created an unfriendly and hostile work environment and have run several new staff off but management turns a blind eye to the problem staff person and actually makes excuses for them and doesn't want to deal with the problem.

Take the time to communicate effectively with your subordinates and give employees opportunities to be involved in different projects. If you want to retain new employees, provide some training and give feedback so that they know how they are doing. Also, if several new employees have left after a short time and it all points back to working for a specific project manager and everyone in the office knows it, don't you think you should pay more attention to the common denominator here. Stop burying your heads in the sand and deal with the issue. A good manager should be able to so effectively.

Easy yet boring

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

Good amount of time off, they offer 9-40 schedules so every other week you get a 3 day weekend which is nice

Cons

Lots of work and overtime that you'll never get paid for, job is at time mind numbingly boring, very little employee appreciation

joke

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time (less than an year)

Pros

show up and collect a paycheck, keep mouth shut about out of date practices and those on pedestal, hope funding continues because you are disposable

Cons

horrible work environment, cheap management, black mold growing in the office

continue lining your pocket at the cost of others

Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure Photos