Sephora Reviews

Reset
3.7
Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

1. great learning environment

I have been working at Sephora part-time

Pros

Lots and lots of trainings

Cons

Low pay. Cannot afford to live in vancouver. Multiple managers with different expectations.

2. Not great, but decent perks.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Free makeup! Environment can be fun depending on your store and where you are zoned. Sephora employees don't get commission, so the pressure to sell isn't as bad as other retail jobs. Free makeup! From what I've seen, Sephora is considered a bit of a joke in the MUA industry, so if you want to be respected as a makeup artist, go to MAC. I was a seasonal rep trying to make a bit of pocket change after college--good experience for a temporary gig but I wouldn't want to make a career out of this place.

Cons

Beware of the free makeup you get in your gratis bin--a lot of the items are old, discontinued products and returns from customers that aren't good enough to sell. (Sephora has a VERY liberal return policy). Sometimes you luck out and get something great (I got a brand new, full-sized Naked palette from Urban Decay!), but a lot of it is junk. Being on your feet for 9 hours is never fun and working the fragrance wall is a NIGHTMARE. Three years and several washes later, my uniform shirts still smell like every single perfume they sell.

3. Good teamwork, not enough pay

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, upbeat environment and access to products

Cons

Pay is terrible, they should become commission or pay better

Advice to Management

Gratis is great but toner don't pay the bills

5. great team, mean and fake management

I worked at Sephora

Pros

the team was awesome, great bunch of people to work with, you get gratis, a decent employee discount, good feedback from clients, specialty workshop classes to learn more about brands, and a lot of incentives to win prizes

Cons

Pay is average, and heard from the seasonal workers, they get paid even more than those that have worked there longer!
    Prepared to be disrespected by management if you are not part of the color team.
    Prepared to be even more disrespected when you decide to quit and give notice.
    (They cut the shifts I still had remaining, and switched some of them to on-call, which they said they didn't need me in for.. and made my last day even early)
    They also announced when I was back in store as a Client, stupidly rude.
    Lack of personal growth.

Advice to Management

Have better character, not so much catty and fake (not all management, but most)
    Be more humble, since other cast members other than color also help the store function.
    Value each of your employees, probably the reason why you guys have such a huge turnover

Amazing people, Great Benefits and Great Growth Opportunities.... Only down side BAD PAY

Current Employee - Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Sephora full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with. good medical, dental and 401k benefits
    amazing growth opportunities within Sephora or Head Offices

Cons

Power Struggles within management sometimes which is very frustrating
    PAY PAY PAY PAY - usually the biggest thing for employees

Advice to Management

INCREASE WAGE!!!! Cast will work harder if they are compensated correctly. Sephora is the lowest paying beauty retailer. MAC, Shoppers and Nordstroms offer much much much more.....

7. Superficial and yet oddly rewarding

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Monthly bonus if sales goals were met, tons of free stuff, lots of advancement opportunities, training seminars, etc

Cons

It seems silly, but they made you change your availability 3 weeks in advance on the computer and NOT in person, it was difficult to plan life around work because it's not always possible to know your schedule that far in advance, lots of favoritism, inflexible regarding the hours and availability.

Traumatizing

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC

I worked at Sephora full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of training from brands
    Spoil you with free products

Cons

Wow, where to begin.
    Work hours are terrible, store opens for employees 2 hours before shift and closes 1 hour after stores close. So if ur working a night shift, be prepared to leave a little past 10 and later during the holidays.
    Some days we're scheduled 1-10 and the day after we work a 8-5. They don't care about ur life outside of work and care even less if you have a family.
    their uniforms are cheap, uncomfortable and ugly and there is no way to make them ur own, wearing baggy trousers and ill fitted button shirts with a full face of dramatic makeup doesn't go well with working at a makeup store.
    There is no self expression at sephora, hair must be a natural colour. They want a cookie cutter employee.
    During staff meetings they constantly bash other cosmetics retailers and work to try to get them to go out of business.
    Mac is major competition for them, they try to be them and always puts them down during meetings and to customers as well.
    Growing within the company is stricky for the preferred employee, no merit to those that work hard and no recognition. Inferiority is put on a pedestal and celebrated. They say passion is important but if u have too much passion they put you down and try to break you only to rebuild u in their image.
    Management is manipulative, condescending and very "corporate" they won't just fire u, they will torment u till u quit.
    All the free products you get is mostly things u will never use.
    Pay is horrible!!!!!
    Hiring people who are qualified for lead (3rd key) positions as regular sales associates and hiring non experienced people as leads.
    They create a very competitive atmosphere among staff, not for sales, but for recognition and praise.
    Their biggest taboo is to talk about ur salary, and that's because they pay everyone differently, 1 lead can be paid 10$ an hour while another one gets 16$ an hour.
    working here has given me major anxiety and I haven't been able to work anywhere else since!

Advice to Management

treat ur full timers with respect, they spend more time in ur store than they do at home!
    Pay ur employees adequately!
    Someone with managerial experience shouldn't get a salary of 11$ an hour!

Favoritism and looking to hire mostly ex MAC

Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Gratis, good training with brand reps,

Cons

Favoritism, feeling micromanaged. New employees that worked at MAC pushed to the front of promotions and hours. Disrespect from leads. Hard not NOT RECOGNIZED.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritsm, allow employees to grow and get promoted with hard work. Get over your need to get all ex MAC people to come work for you and cause problems with staff.

they will treat a certain shade of ppl like trash

Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sephora part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing that I can think of now

Cons

If the big bosses like you, you can get away with more if they don't they will look for reasons to fire you. You can show up everyday on time and do your best and it's never good enough. Terrible management is the biggest problem.
    You won't have a chance to get promoted because they pick favorites so you have to kiss-butt to make it. Managers are mean, nasty, and rude towards you. They are very sneaky meaning they will all gain up on you. If you mess up on the cash-wrap they will snatch you off so quickly without telling you and will make up an excuse so you will never know why you can't work there any longer

Advice to Management

Stop choosing favorites, hold a meeting with cast members so that there is an opportunity to address in-store issues, Train your new employees instead of reading from a frickin book, Addressing company mission and values doesn't necessarily teach someone how to operate throughout the store.
    Let us know what we can or cannot do and do not make rules up for certain cast members.

11. Good

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Good salary and benefits including gratis

Cons

Not flexible hours, no work life balance

RSS Feed </> Embed