Sephora

Updated 5 March, 2015
3.7

Sephora President and CEO Calvin McDonald
Calvin McDonald

Pros
  • Love their employees and really strive to ensure great work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Fun work environment, tons of free products, lots of opportunities to learn (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Great core values except work/life balance can be a struggle (like with any retail) (in 47 reviews)

• As a former manager I had little to no work-life balance, my life revolved around my job (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Good salary and benefits including gratis

Cons

Not flexible hours, no work life balance

Superficial and yet oddly rewarding

I have been working at Sephora

Pros

Monthly bonus if sales goals were met, tons of free stuff, lots of advancement opportunities, training seminars, etc

Cons

It seems silly, but they made you change your availability 3 weeks in advance on the computer and NOT in person, it was difficult to plan life around work because it's not always possible to know your schedule that far in advance, lots of favoritism, inflexible regarding the hours and availability.

Traumatizing

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Montreal, QC

I worked at Sephora full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of training from brands
    Spoil you with free products

Cons

Wow, where to begin.
    Work hours are terrible, store opens for employees 2 hours before shift and closes 1 hour after stores close. So if ur working a night shift, be prepared to leave a little past 10 and later during the holidays.
    Some days we're scheduled 1-10 and the day after we work a 8-5. They don't care about ur life outside of work and care even less if you have a family.
    their uniforms are cheap, uncomfortable and ugly and there is no way to make them ur own, wearing baggy trousers and ill fitted button shirts with a full face of dramatic makeup doesn't go well with working at a makeup store.
    There is no self expression at sephora, hair must be a natural colour. They want a cookie cutter employee.
    During staff meetings they constantly bash other cosmetics retailers and work to try to get them to go out of business.
    Mac is major competition for them, they try to be them and always puts them down during meetings and to customers as well.
    Growing within the company is stricky for the preferred employee, no merit to those that work hard and no recognition. Inferiority is put on a pedestal and celebrated. They say passion is important but if u have too much passion they put you down and try to break you only to rebuild u in their image.
    Management is manipulative, condescending and very "corporate" they won't just fire u, they will torment u till u quit.
    All the free products you get is mostly things u will never use.
    Pay is horrible!!!!!
    Hiring people who are qualified for lead (3rd key) positions as regular sales associates and hiring non experienced people as leads.
    They create a very competitive atmosphere among staff, not for sales, but for recognition and praise.
    Their biggest taboo is to talk about ur salary, and that's because they pay everyone differently, 1 lead can be paid 10$ an hour while another one gets 16$ an hour.
    working here has given me major anxiety and I haven't been able to work anywhere else since!

treat ur full timers with respect, they spend more time in ur store than they do at home!
    Pay ur employees adequately!
    Someone with managerial experience shouldn't get a salary of 11$ an hour!

Favoritism and looking to hire mostly ex MAC

Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Gratis, good training with brand reps,

Cons

Favoritism, feeling micromanaged. New employees that worked at MAC pushed to the front of promotions and hours. Disrespect from leads. Hard not NOT RECOGNIZED.

Stop with the favoritsm, allow employees to grow and get promoted with hard work. Get over your need to get all ex MAC people to come work for you and cause problems with staff.

they will treat a certain shade of ppl like trash

Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Sephora part-time (less than a year)

Pros

nothing that I can think of now

Cons

If the big bosses like you, you can get away with more if they don't they will look for reasons to fire you. You can show up everyday on time and do your best and it's never good enough. Terrible management is the biggest problem.
    You won't have a chance to get promoted because they pick favorites so you have to kiss-butt to make it. Managers are mean, nasty, and rude towards you. They are very sneaky meaning they will all gain up on you. If you mess up on the cash-wrap they will snatch you off so quickly without telling you and will make up an excuse so you will never know why you can't work there any longer

Stop choosing favorites, hold a meeting with cast members so that there is an opportunity to address in-store issues, Train your new employees instead of reading from a frickin book, Addressing company mission and values doesn't necessarily teach someone how to operate throughout the store.
    Let us know what we can or cannot do and do not make rules up for certain cast members.

Was an ok place to work to build confidence as a makeup artist

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Sephora

Pros

Gratis, good work life balance

Cons

Inconsistency within management and favouritism
    Low wage for the work in my province people working at McDonald's get paid more even though makeup artistry is a skill

Please be more consistent and appreciate your staff more. Be on the floor more and recognize those who actually work hard. Provide feedback to help artists grow and provide more artistry education. I felt as though I was to fend for myself and teach myself everything

Great for entry-level luxury retail, but not skin care

Former Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Skin Care Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gratis is awesome, usually the team of employees are just as down to earth as you would imagine them to be. Brand reps that come into the store for training usually end up making the product experience a whole lot better.

Cons

Management sucks, Pay is worse

A skin care consultant shouldn't have to wear 65 products on their face if they are trying to sell ... skin care.

Skincare

Former Employee - Skincare Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Skincare Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Sephora part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gratis
    Respectful environment
    Fun atmosphere
    Good part time hours

Cons

The pay structure is terrible for the cosmetics industry
    Can only bonus if the entire store does well
    Touch base before each shift is so annoying
    No commission

Great job to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member

I have been working at Sephora part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gratis, growth, training, opportunities and knowledge of different brands.

Cons

Salary, work life balance.

Excellent retail experience

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Sephora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is grounded on 7 values and they are celebrated each day. Cast members feel valued and are set up for success for growth within the company. They are trained to eventually achieve what they aim to be in the future. Lots of training and education, and bonuses are based on store sales and not on individual commission so there's teamwork.

Cons

Pay is average, i expected it to be a bit higher since the company is under the Louis Vuitton umbrella.

Hiring the right people for the job. Lots of cast members are only there for a few months and are not worth the investment for training.